I say it every year but...

For as long as i can remember, acceleration and pace have been in the 'aerobic' training category.

Apologies for sounding like a PE teacher - but these attributes are 'anaerobic' - the complete opposite of aerobic.

Aerobic = low intesnsity long duration e.g. stamina

Anaerobic = hig intensity short duration e.g. acceleration

If the training part is still the same in FM12 please change this SI as a vein bulges on my head every time i read it.

Anerobic exercises are used in building muscle and for non-endurance sports so not really ideal for football.

In terms of footballers accelleration and pace would need to be a two part exercise routine, the first part in moving weights quickly and the second part in continuing with that speed over a distance. When working on accelleration anerobic exercise is done almost simulataneously with aerobic execercise.

But certainly, aerobic exercise is what's needed for increasing accelleration and pace.

The training system in FM is horrible & has been for quite some time, I used to like one of teh older system where you selected daily routines & rest session, think it was CM01/02.

I completely disagree Eugene Tyson

Again, sorry for becoming a teacher but...

All exercise is either aeobic or anaerobic

Aerobic means exercise with oxygen so any activity termed 'aerobic' must last longer than forty seconds

Anaerobic means exercise without oxygen - any activity that is over before oxygen breathed in can makes its way to the lungs and then the blood is anaerobic - such as sprinting!

In sumary - pace and acceleration are the complete antithesis of aerobic

Aerobic means exercise with oxygen so any activity termed 'aerobic' must last longer than forty seconds

Anaerobic means exercise without oxygen - any activity that is over before oxygen breathed in can makes its way to the lungs and then the blood is anaerobic - such as sprinting!

Which is why it has always bugged me that stamina is listed under the Strength training bar, always the little things that grinds those gears.

Accelleration might not mean from a starting point either, it could be changing direction, so you could sprint 40 yards and then change direction and sprint another 40 yards. Or sprint 40 seconds, change direction and sprint the opposite direction.

I'm sorry you disagree. But I know what I said is 100% correct.

I will try one more time...

To be aerobic an activity must last long enough for the oxygen to be breathed in, move to the lungs, into the blood, to the heart, then to muscles - this takes about 40 seconds.

Acceleration can only occur in a human being for about 80m (or 7 seconds)

Therefore accelaration is ANAEROBIC, not aerobic

I know that you need both to increase accelleration and pace. And certainly in footballing terms you need more aerobic work with the addition of anerobic to increase these stats. Putting purely as anerobic - where anerobic is actually for non-endurance sports - would be wrong.

Aerobic exercises to increase accelleration are done by using aerobic exercises to create anaerobic exercises. Like sprinting on a bike for 1 minute and resting for 2 minutes. Use a treadmill and set the incline to midway or very high and again sprint for a minute or two.

These are still classed as aerobic exercises.

Sorry if I was a bit short or whatever. Man flu and headache for days.

Aerobic exercises to increase accelleration are done by using aerobic exercises to create anaerobic exercises. Like sprinting on a bike for 1 minute and resting for 2 minutes. Use a treadmill and set the incline to midway or very high and again sprint for a minute or two.

Those are actually anaerobic endurance exercises. While valid for football training, they're more related to stamina and in-match recovery than speed.

For football, acceleration is typically trained by means of sprints with either inclines or weights, and/or plyometrics.

I think the OP's concern at its most basic would be addressed by renaming the Aerobic category to "Speed", even though technically Acceleration, Agility, and Pace are all strength based attributes.

Anything beyond that gets pretty complicated when trying to balance the categories.

what are muscle stretches? where do they come in the grand scheme?

cos, the way I see it.. if your player's don't stretch correctly they'll pull, tear, or otherwise damage their muscles... who teaches them that? and under what training category does it come under? Because I was taught how to stretch by the physio...

The training system in FM is horrible & has been for quite some time, I used to like one of teh older system where you selected daily routines & rest session, think it was CM01/02.

That was FM05 it only lasted one game before FM06 went back to the categories and sliders.

My big gripe with training is that once you have set up a custom schedule for a player you can forget all about it until he leaves or retires.

what are muscle stretches? where do they come in the grand scheme?

cos, the way I see it.. if your player's don't stretch correctly they'll pull, tear, or otherwise damage their muscles... who teaches them that? and under what training category does it come under? Because I was taught how to stretch by the physio...

that would be the warm-up which would be undertaken before any training session

Accelleration might not mean from a starting point either, it could be changing direction, so you could sprint 40 yards and then change direction and sprint another 40 yards. Or sprint 40 seconds, change direction and sprint the opposite direction.

I'm sorry you disagree. But I know what I said is 100% correct.

That would be agility

Yes.. but who teaches them how to do it properly? We all know you have to stretch your muscles, but you still have to know how to to be able to...
its possibly assumed that they should know how to warm up as teenagers whilst training at youth clubs.

it would be interesting to have some clarification, considering clubs will have different methods (sam allardyce is known to be a big fan of sports science and has used many revolutionary techniques in his clubs training)

Archived