Wage control. Anyone better than this?

I'm Chelsea manager - 13 years into the game. Consistently winning trophies. Won the Champions League a good few times as well. Have a coupe of World Cup winners in the squad. Very good players.

My average wage is £22,500 a week. This is compared to the Premier League average of £29,000. Highest earners are on £50,000 a week (although I do have one player on £175,000 who was a marque signing and the best player in the world when I signed him) and I have a couple of players who are the best in the world in their respective positions on £15,000-£20,000 a week.

My total squad wage bill is £900,000 a week - half of the budget set by the board which has gradually seemed to come down over the years.

How does this comapare to everyone else managing a top Premier League Club?

Best I've had for a title winning team was £1.5m per week with my current save 2-3 seasons ago. If I win again this season, I'm offloading a bunch of the senior players in my Liverpool team to give the youngsters a chance, as is my style. So Bale will go, I'll try and negotiate a cheaper contract for an aging Gerrard, get rid of Suarez, etc. Which should save me 200 grand a week easily.

Your striker - Paul Reid - how do you keep him on low wages when it's due for renewal

I tend to offer high singing on fees in return for lower weekly wages as its more cost effective in the long run/

Exactly that. He came through the youth ranks so started on tiny wages, with generous agent and sigining on fees I've never needed to offer him huge wages. The same goes for a lot of my squad.

This seems like an easy way around offering £100,000+ per week.

Most of my players are coming through the reserves now and are pretty easy to negotiate with. B the time they are superatrs they have my team as favoured, usually me and coaches and players.

There doesn't seem to be enough pressure by other teams for these players. I would liketo see more bids, bigger bids and transfer sagas going on. I've never had a bid above £15m for a player unless I', actively trying to offload him.

For instance, I sold Neymar for £45m to Valencia. They had no interest in him until I tried to sell him. I'd like to see rich clubs like Barcelona, Man City and and Real Madrid actively pursue players as they do in real life.

Not an EPL team, but here's mine:

torontofcboardroomfinan.png

Flush with cash and dozens of potential Designated Player signings if I want them...but I'd rather build up young players on the cheap.

Entering my 8th season now, and I've doubled our account from $30 million to $64 million. Now 28th in the world financial rankings at $142 million.

torontofcboardroomfinan.png

Won plenty of Serie A titles and Champions Leagues with Messina, world-class players in pretty much every position, with a maximum wage of £45k per week. Recently raised my wage ceiling to £70k in order to be able to sign more Italian players - was mostly Spanish and South American before.

• 10 months later...

Once had my chairman told me he liked the wage control but not to let it get in the way of signing the caliber of player required to progress. Once in the Prem our top earner was on £11k and most first XI were on £6k.

i'm very wage orientated in FM. i always sell my highest earners or re-negotiate my veterans to take wage cuts (i.e. totti, pizarro, etc)

this is my Roma save. "mid-table wages, scudetto-quality." i won two trebles in a row with this team, and finished one season undefeated. i finished another season 35-2-1

if i weren't a Roma fan, i would've sold De Rossi as well, putting me in 14th place in terms of wages

SerieATIMStats_TeamStats.png

ASRomaSquad_Players-3.png

i'm very wage orientated in FM. i always sell my highest earners or re-negotiate my veterans to take wage cuts (i.e. totti, pizarro, etc)

this is my Roma save. "mid-table wages, scudetto-quality." i won two trebles in a row with this team, and finished one season undefeated. i finished another season 35-2-1

if i weren't a Roma fan, i would've sold De Rossi as well, putting me in 14th place in terms of wages

SerieATIMStats_TeamStats.png

ASRomaSquad_Players-3.png

update: this screenshot is actually few months old. just recently, i sold Kjaer (€2.9m/year) and got Papadopoulos to replace him (€1.6m/year). totti/chivu also retired and i have two youngsters replacing them

I did a similar thing with Blackpool. I have become the biggest team in England and the way the wage suddenly rises is incredible. If one player has a decent wage, suddenly all the others do to; and it's hard to cope! The takeover helped of course...

I won the EPL on just over 200k, squad around 40.

So 5,000 average?

Anyway, I cleaned a team out, got a whole squad of younger guys, got 5th first season, won the second season.

Signed most players for 3-4 season contracts, so was spending low for some time, when re-contracts came around, some of them wanted over 100k per week, lol... I solf off anyone asking for stupid amounts, made lots of profit and signed the best young talent I could find..

Archived