Work Permit - how to get one please

Hello all,

I'm new to FM2011 and to communitysigames.

I'm using FM2011 Handheld for iPad.

I tried to sign a player Sergio Gil (nationality: Mexico) in the January transfer window. The purchase was agreed with the club and contract agreed with the player but work permit was refused.

I have room in my squad (less than 36 players) and I have other South American players in my squad. I am now at the end of the season and have negotiated again with the club and the player, so purchase and contract again. Will I be refused again and if so is there a way to get one please?

For the player - Sergio Gil - he is an international with 4 caps for Mexico.

My club is Leeds, don't shout at me ;-) I have just won the Premier League, lost the League Cup Final to Arsenal on penalties and lost in the 4th round of the FA Cup.

I have already signed 2 young Brazilians, David Simoes and Diogo Neves neither of whom were internationals when I signed them on a 'free'.

Thanks for the help, Poloflow

And I do not agree that a post on Vibe stops it from being posted here. At this point it just feels like your spamming Vibe everywhere...

Isn't it something to do with whether or not they've played in a European nation yet? I also am confused by how they work and normally just accept the decision it's been refused and grudgingly move on.

I am saying if it has been answered on Vibe why need 2 threads in 2 places to get the same response? Just wasting people's time that way.

If they are non-European and not of a nation such as America or Australia they have to play a certain amount of games for their national team.

Work permits will be issued to international players of the highest calibre who are able to make a significant contribution in footballing terms to the development of the United Kingdom game at the highest level (i.e. clubs competing in the Premier Leagues and Football Leagues in England and Scotland, the Welsh Premier League and the Irish Premier League in Northern Ireland).

To be eligible for a work permit:

• a player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and

• the player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application

If a player does not meet these criteria, the club wishing to sign him may appeal if they believe that he is a special talent and "able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK."

Work permits will be issued to international players of the highest calibre who are able to make a significant contribution in footballing terms to the development of the United Kingdom game at the highest level (i.e. clubs competing in the Premier Leagues and Football Leagues in England and Scotland, the Welsh Premier League and the Irish Premier League in Northern Ireland).

To be eligible for a work permit:

• a player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and

• the player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application

If a player does not meet these criteria, the club wishing to sign him may appeal if they believe that he is a special talent and "able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK."

That's all very nice, Peter. But my question would be how the match engine handles it?

a) I don't think the game keeps track of two years of international call ups, so how can they be sure that the player was present in 75% of the matches?

b) Are the 70 top ranked nations considered from the in-game ranking?

c) "...international players of the highest calibre who are able to make a significant contribution in footballing terms..." How to consider that? A player good enough to play in the Premier League? Does the game check the player's current ability against a certain threshold? How is it done?

I am saying if it has been answered on Vibe why need 2 threads in 2 places to get the same response? Just wasting people's time that way.

If they are non-European and not of a nation such as America or Australia they have to play a certain amount of games for their national team.

Sorry to send the thread off course again, but IMO no one should be told they are "wasting people's time" when they are asking on the official forum. For what it's worth, I consider the official forum the place to get better answers and more attention due to the staff members of SI that post here and because its the official forum.

Better answers in specific subjects, such as secrets of the match engine. But if you're looking for playing tips, players to sign, tactics and instructions - then no.

More attention, definitely not. Dec's comment was very unfortunate, but he has done more for the FMH community than anyone else - so cut him some slack :)

You should be sorry for changing the subject again, but I have a forgiving heart :p

I agree with you, so let's go back to the thread :)

That's all very nice, Peter. But my question would be how the match engine handles it?

a) I don't think the game keeps track of two years of international call ups, so how can they be sure that the player was present in 75% of the matches?

b) Are the 70 top ranked nations considered from the in-game ranking?

c) "...international players of the highest calibre who are able to make a significant contribution in footballing terms..." How to consider that? A player good enough to play in the Premier League? Does the game check the player's current ability against a certain threshold? How is it done?

Many thanks to all of you and thanks to Peter for the explanation so far. Just so I fully understand this - I have already signed 2 Brazilians with no problem, neither of whom have been capped for Brazil. David Simoes, age 17 and Diogo Neves age 22. The player for which I was refused the work permit is Sergio Gil age 24. Is this the key? Simoes and Neves are 'youth' players but Gil at 24 is not? By the way, I bear no grudge against Dec - he was trying to be helpful and he gave me his understanding of how this works - but I would still like a confirmation from SI Games please. I'm new to the game and want to understand it to get full enjoyment from it. I would have thought that SI Games would see it as being on their best interest to promote their product and help their customers.

Sadly we can't reveal the workings of our code on the forums but the basics of the rule are adhered to. Those being the player must be an international regular or be widely deemed to have good/excellent potential.

Try to keep in mind too that in real life clubs have to apply for a work permit, which is sometimes rejected. They don't have the guarantee that an application will be successful and it's good that the user doesn't have this either.

Sadly we can't reveal the workings of our code on the forums but the basics of the rule are adhered to. Those being the player must be an international regular or be widely deemed to have good/excellent potential.

Hmmm... Strangely I read: "there are some things we should fix"... ;)

I understand David, but I have a hunch that there are some issues concerning the way you rank countries in game, and the reputation of the leagues the players play in...

Archived