Anyone find when the real players retire you lose interest

hey guys just wondering if anyone has the same feeling. Whenever majority of the real players retire i just seem to lose interest , except when i have invested a bit and bring up these youngsters through their whole career but even then when im facing world internationals such as Ferrer it just doesnt hold the same interest

Really ? Do you prefer seeing the players rise or how you can shape a new dynasty? (just curious :p)

I like shaping clubs around my own players, and i love developing my own regen players, with real players its limited by knowing bits and pieces about a player and you can to an extent predict how a real players career will go, with regens its entirely up in the air.

All the time. I said this in another thread. So much of the fun for me comes from interacting with people in the game I'm familiar with. When some regen named "John Smith" is winning the Ballon Dd'Or I just don't see the appeal...

EDIT: But, as I said in another post as well, I really have never gotten the hang of youth development so maybe that plays into it. I remember in one version of FIFA when I took Torquey to the Premiership title on the back of some made-up no. 9 my fully upgraded scouting network had pulled out of their ass I thought it was the greatest thing in the world.

I like shaping clubs around my own players, and i love developing my own regen players, with real players its limited by knowing bits and pieces about a player and you can to an extent predict how a real players career will go, with regens its entirely up in the air.

Fair Enough :D

For me, the game only gets going when the known players retire.

Now I really have to look for a decent player instead of the old reliable.

"Oh Ozil got injured for the season, I'll pick up Neymar"

"I'm a bit short at left back and central defence. Hmm I think I'll sign Sahko"

It just gets a bit predictable when you've the real players.

I dunno, I just like it when I find a gem of a player playing in the back arse of China and he becomes world player of the year.

Brings a tear to my eye.

I much prefer regens than real players, when the real players fade away, that is when the game gets really good.

I love the fact that the regens are unique to me and they are all different rather than real players who are extremely repetitive and are being used by hundreds of other football manager player's out there.

It's just so much more fun having your own regen become a legend and lead you to glory than have Messi etc become a legend and lead you to glory, so much more common and boring.

For me, the game only gets going when the known players retire.

Now I really have to look for a decent player instead of the old reliable.

"Oh Ozil got injured for the season, I'll pick up Neymar"

"I'm a bit short at left back and central defence. Hmm I think I'll sign Sahko"

It just gets a bit predictable when you've the real players.

I dunno, I just like it when I find a gem of a player playing in the back arse of China and he becomes world player of the year.

Brings a tear to my eye.

I like finding real players turning them into gems, then telling my friends they will be awesome and getting it right a year or two later

Please Note: predictions may be wrong :D

Does anyone on here, who likes it when the real players disappear, ever start a game without real players?

No, that's going too far for me.

I like the existing players to carry on....existing.

It's nice to see the likes of Robbie Keane and Javier Hernandez become top managers.

I much prefer regens than real players, when the real players fade away, that is when the game gets really good.

I love the fact that the regens are unique to me and they are all different rather than real players who are extremely repetitive and are being used by hundreds of other football manager player's out there.

It's just so much more fun having your own regen become a legend and lead you to glory than have Messi etc become a legend and lead you to glory, so much more common and boring.

Couldn't agree more there are so many squads posted on these forums that have the same front three and look very similar overall, not that there is anything wrong with that. I prefer reading about people careers when they have their own unique newgen team. I much prefer my Crewe midfield that now consists of Tita, Barnes and Tiago than when it was Wilshere, Tymoschuk and Ramsey because I know that they are unique to my save.

No, that's going too far for me.

I like the existing players to carry on....existing.

It's nice to see the likes of Robbie Keane and Javier Hernandez become top managers.

I like that Palacios on my game is the second greatest manager of all time trophy wise behind Sir Alex. He took At. Madrid from nothing and won 5 leagues titles and three Champions Leagues with them, brilliant.

I prefer it when the gameworld is full of regens who have no relevance to real life, that I have no real world bias shaping who I look at or where I try to buy from. That said, the regen only start seems to be throwing you in a bit too much at the deep end - while I prefer a regen only world, I do want to know about an awful lot of them.

I like finding real players turning them into gems, then telling my friends they will be awesome and getting it right a year or two later

Please Note: predictions may be wrong :D

Yeh I told people about Neymar about 2 seasons ago and they were like "Never heard of him" :D

Also with Paulo Henrique. And a few others. although Henry Saviet let me down, curse him.

Yeh I told people about Neymar about 2 seasons ago and they were like "Never heard of him" :D

Also with Paulo Henrique. And a few others. although Henry Saviet let me down, curse him.

Yeah Saivet let me down as well , funny thing is though my friend today when walking into college asked my where he had got to , coinedence eh?

I always only start one save and usually start far down so I don't really bother about the real players that are known to the general public. When I get high enough to start looking at the big names the real ones has usually retired.

As previously said, the game is just beginning when newgens and all those real players are retired. :)

I'm well into my career game in 2027 and I'm having lots of fun trying to unearth that next great player. I know that the squad I'm building will be unlike any other because every save is different with newgen players.

I know that the squad I'm building will be unlike any other because every save is different with newgen players.

So true.

I'm safe in the knowledge that I've got "The next German/Malian Andreas Brehme" at the age of 16, and you've none of you have got him :)

Makes it all worthwhile!

Anyone find when the real players retire you lose interest

Whilst I always start my saves with real players, I actually prefer looking for newgens a few seasons in.

In my current Granada CF save, where four seasons played my side is dominating in La Liga and Europe, I'm still both unable and unwilling to pay the huge wages players like Agüero demand (300k p/w)... or even youngster Iker Munian, who demanded 200k p/w!!!

Half my squad are newgens, becoming (or are already) better than the "real" players - and most importantly - they're affordable.

I can kind of understand why someone might lose interest. I'm probably a bit fussier than most about such things, but some of the newgen names ruin it for me. If I'm in 2015 and I suddenly find I have 15 year old in my youth setup called Geoff Moss or something like that, I have to sell him as quickly as I can. He sounds like a 55 year old real ale enthusiast! Another one that annoys me is "Ron". Why so many newgens called Ron? The youngest Ronald in the English-speaking world is about 60 and he prefers rugby.

I also find that the game produces too few good newgens. I know everyone has stories about a newgen who blitzed their game apart with his brilliance, and I do too. But finding enough young players to build a squad? Really difficult, especially if you want English players. I'm in 2015 and there's literally about three players from England in the game under 25 who are any good.

Its better with newgens, because without them you know exactly who to buy and that gives you an unfair advantage.

Have to disagree with this. Even with real players, I still don't always know who's right for my team at that time and it still takes thinking about. Plus, all the AI managers have access to the same information as you so there's no real advantage.

Does anyone on here, who likes it when the real players disappear, ever start a game without real players?

I have done in the past but not on FM11. To be honest, it's not as good as getting the newgens through. Players don't have histories, they have international caps and favourites but no playing history, every starts on the starting season. This might be different on FM11 but I doubt it.

I can kind of understand why someone might lose interest. I'm probably a bit fussier than most about such things, but some of the newgen names ruin it for me. If I'm in 2015 and I suddenly find I have 15 year old in my youth setup called Geoff Moss or something like that, I have to sell him as quickly as I can. He sounds like a 55 year old real ale enthusiast! Another one that annoys me is "Ron". Why so many newgens called Ron? The youngest Ronald in the English-speaking world is about 60 and he prefers rugby.

I also find that the game produces too few good newgens. I know everyone has stories about a newgen who blitzed their game apart with his brilliance, and I do too. But finding enough young players to build a squad? Really difficult, especially if you want English players. I'm in 2015 and there's literally about three players from England in the game under 25 who are any good.

One of the furtherest reigns i had was with Man.Utd and first season when the youth was populated with regens i had a DM called parker who within 3 seasons was an england starter. He was insane , but i then got bored and deleted it .......

kinda wished i didnt now .....

hey guys just wondering if anyone has the same feeling. Whenever majority of the real players retire i just seem to lose interest , except when i have invested a bit and bring up these youngsters through their whole career but even then when im facing world internationals such as Ferrer it just doesnt hold the same interest

I agree. It would be good if there was a game-mode like Football Manager Live where there is returning stars which come back..

I agree. It would be good if there was a game-mode like Football Manager Live where there is returning stars which come back..

If implemented properly on TCM 2004 they used the same portrait/name on newgens so there was a sol campbell who played for me who was a striker ... ruined the game for me

I'm in the "we prefer newgens" camp as well. It's the simulation aspect of FM that I love - I really couldn't care less about specific people and/or clubs - and I find that this only gets stronger without the distraction of my views not always lining up with what's been researched for the game. Also keeps each save unique and makes proper scouting and development increasingly important gameplay elements as you gradually can't rely on pre-existing knowledge of the gameworld.

I also like building and developing squads/clubs from the ground up, so to bring new players through, and eventually seeing them go on as staff, is a big part of the enjoyment.

Archived