National Team - Two stupid things

I've taken over Germany in 2022 as a club manager of Mainz...in last 6 years at Mainz I've set myself a challenge to build a team of young German players. I've been very successful with that and I've risen to top of the Europe. As I've been appointed to Germany I called up only players from my Mainz squad and Manuel Neuer for the 2022 World Cup. My issues are following:

- I'm playing the same squad and same tactics with Germany like I played with Mainz bus Assistant Manager states that the team is short of operating as unit (same players with same tactics wearing Mainz shirt would be willing to die for each other).

- Manuel Neuer retired from international football at 10.7.2022 - the day of the World Cup finals. Are you serious???

I've had the retirement thing before. In 2014, I was short of CB's who were fit(seriously, it was like someone was actively trying to ruin my defence) for England. So I had to turn to an aging Rio Ferdinand to be part of the squad(not first choice though!). After the tournament started, he then said he was going to retire, with the date being the same day as the Semi Finals......it's a good thing that my first choice CB's didn't get injured, and also that I got knocked out by France in the Quarter Finals!

Yeh there are silly retirement dates, the game doesn't take future fixtures into consideration.

Had something similar when I was managing Palermo. I was offered the Man Utd job in January and said I'd take it up at the end of the season.

The day before the Champions League final I was appointed Man United manager. Well I postponed it a week. Won the CL with Palermo and took over at Man Utd.

I just thought it was stupid of the game to put that date down. I nearly didn't see the option to postpone it. I was sitting there with my head in my hands, saying to myself "10 seasons to get Palermo to the CL final, and now I don't even get to play that game!!!"

Luckily I spotted the option. Still though.

I'm impressed you even managed to get the Germany job, whenever I apply I get turned down for it so far.

I've used FMRTE to swap jobs (only thing that I used it for - because I think it's impossible to get German job).

Haha, that's pretty unrealistic timing from Neuer there, I grant you that. Did you try to coax him out of retirement by talking to him?

I didn't think about that...he retired at the day of the final, so I just went and played (and won :)) the match.

I too tried to sign players from the country i was in; i had the best team around, full of domestic internationals, but when I got the international job i was then criticised for bias towards players from my club, because I had signed all the country's top players over the previous seasons. Nearly all were already internationals before I got the job, and surely everyone knew I had those players before I took over so it was likely they would still feature nationally; so why the criticism? Seemed very dumb to me.

No idea if that was still in FM11 though.

Well to be honest - my club team has won the league, cup and champions league, but there are some better Germans around, because my club team still is very much in development - 8 players are 20 or less and the oldest is 25. I selected 17 players from my Mainz team just for fun and I've also been criticised for being biased towards my team, but it really also makes sense. What is completely illogical is the fact that the same players playing the same tactics but wearing different shirts suddenly aren't "gelled" at all. At national level the AssMan says that "the players are way off of operating as unit" and at club level AssMan says "they would be willing to die for each other".

Well to be honest - my club team has won the league, cup and champions league, but there are some better Germans around, because my club team still is very much in development - 8 players are 20 or less and the oldest is 25. I selected 17 players from my Mainz team just for fun and I've also been criticised for being biased towards my team, but it really also makes sense. What is completely illogical is the fact that the same players playing the same tactics but wearing different shirts suddenly aren't "gelled" at all. At national level the AssMan says that "the players are way off of operating as unit" and at club level AssMan says "they would be willing to die for each other".

Bayern...what you've uncovered there my friend is a "coding lapse". I'm not saying this is the case in this instance, but normally, the conversation during development goes like this...."I've found a bug....if picking more than 'x' players from the same team for national duty, the morale of the team and the gelling of the team are reported as troublesome" - "OK, but why would you do that..pick all those players from one team.....don;t worry about it, it will affect more players if we change it than the minority "

Hence it gets left alone.

Well the logical explanation is that the game sees the squad and compares it with the squad that played the previous national fixture and the tactics there and determines that a lot has changed...therefore it determines that the squad doesn't operate as unit - it doesn't take into account that I've had the same set of players for a whole season (most of them last 4-5 years).

BayernMB, as I say, it's a coding oversight. The fact is that the players and the relationship and interaction between them is less than fluid. I thought we were making a huge leap forward when SI added "Favoured positions" and PPMs - it seems that this hasn't helped as the underlying relationship between players and their game world has stayed static.

I'm currently managing England on FM 10 (my 11 corrupted) and I was fine with injuries throughout the qualifiers and friendlies.

I then played Mexico in the first game and got through it as well as the second game against Paraguay. However, in the third game of the group, against South Africa I had Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Steven Gerrard and Adam Johnson all ruled out for at least the rest of the tournament.

I then had to play with Shawcross and King in the centre of defence and played Tom Huddlestone in midfield.

The amazing thing? I won the World Cup without the injured players! I topped the group then beat Egypt in the second round 1-0, Brazil in the quarters 1-0, France in the semis 2-1 and Portugal in the final on penalties!

I was amazed

I didn't think about that...he retired at the day of the final, so I just went and played (and won :)) the match.

Nice one! At least, you were lucky it was a goalkeeper, the one starting position you can be somewhat under-strength in and still be immensely successful.

I'm currently managing England on FM 10 (my 11 corrupted) and I was fine with injuries throughout the qualifiers and friendlies.

I then played Mexico in the first game and got through it as well as the second game against Paraguay. However, in the third game of the group, against South Africa I had Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Steven Gerrard and Adam Johnson all ruled out for at least the rest of the tournament.

I then had to play with Shawcross and King in the centre of defence and played Tom Huddlestone in midfield.

The amazing thing? I won the World Cup without the injured players! I topped the group then beat Egypt in the second round 1-0, Brazil in the quarters 1-0, France in the semis 2-1 and Portugal in the final on penalties!

I was amazed

Well, everybody says that England is overrated in FM :)

I had my left back retire the day before the semi-final of the World Cup and he was vice captain of my Mali side.

I also had my top CB retire a few days before the Mexican league play-off and less than a week before the Libertadores final. I think future FM's need to be less strict about what date a player will retire on. In real life if a player wanted to retire at the end of the season I think he would want to wait a week longer so he could captain his side to a third successive Libertadores title before bowing out.

I had my left back retire the day before the semi-final of the World Cup and he was vice captain of my Mali side.

I also had my top CB retire a few days before the Mexican league play-off and less than a week before the Libertadores final. I think future FM's need to be less strict about what date a player will retire on. In real life if a player wanted to retire at the end of the season I think he would want to wait a week longer so he could captain his side to a third successive Libertadores title before bowing out.

^^This! (10chars)

This should be quite a simple thing to implement. Just change it so that international players will announce dates such as after world cup 2014 rather than a specific time and will always announce this some time before a major competition. Domestic players just need to make sure they hang around until after the last game of the season unless they were going to retire at the end of the season and pick up a serious injury so they might just hang them up right away.

Archived