Colds/viruses

Couple of quick questions about colds and viruses.

1) When a player has one, why does it say a player will recover quicker if left to the physio rather than if sent home? I understand why you'd send a player home, but why does the physio offer a quicker route back to health? Does he have a magic cure for the common cold? Surely a cold lasts just as long whether you take to your bed with Lemsip (other cold remedies are available) or whether you have it lovingly administered by the club physiotherapist.

2) Why is it, 99% of the time, that only my youth players get colds? This is bizarre. I'm not really complaining because I don't want to lose players but it seems odd. I never have first teamers out with colds or viruses. It only ever happens to youngsters. Why is this?

love this thread, made me laugh for some strange reason. i have no idea to the answers but i would of thought a player would recover quicker if he was to stay in bed rather than venture to the training ground everyday.

my question is why do players get flu in the middle of summer but none ever suffer from hayfever?

Maybe it's because SI don't know which players suffer from hayfever and which ones don't, so it would be tricky to implement. Although you wouldn't have a problem with newgens. To be fair, in real life, you don't often hear of players struggling for fitness because of the high pollen count..

Never thought I'd find myself musing over whether hayfever should be in the game!

Couple of quick questions about colds and viruses.

1) When a player has one, why does it say a player will recover quicker if left to the physio rather than if sent home? I understand why you'd send a player home, but why does the physio offer a quicker route back to health? Does he have a magic cure for the common cold? Surely a cold lasts just as long whether you take to your bed with Lemsip (other cold remedies are available) or whether you have it lovingly administered by the club physiotherapist.

2) Why is it, 99% of the time, that only my youth players get colds? This is bizarre. I'm not really complaining because I don't want to lose players but it seems odd. I never have first teamers out with colds or viruses. It only ever happens to youngsters. Why is this?

1) I would say this is probably an oversight. Your players don't actually have a cold they just have an "injury" and the name of the injury has been randomly selected from the options in the database. All "injuries" are probably coded to be less with a physio as opposed to being sent home.

2) No idea, in fact looking at my own save its a while since I've seen any of my squad with a cold/virus - probably just jinxed myself there.

love this thread, made me laugh for some strange reason. i have no idea to the answers but i would of thought a player would recover quicker if he was to stay in bed rather than venture to the training ground everyday.

my question is why do players get flu in the middle of summer but none ever suffer from hayfever?

Because hayfever isn't listed as an injury in the database.

I may be talking complete rubbish here, but I think younger people are about three times as susceptible to catching colds. No idea if age and injuries/illness are implemented in FM though.

I got an explanation for this ages ago. If a player goes home, he'll probably just go to bed, watch TV, have paracetamol etc. until he feels ready to come back, and will 'slack off', thus needing an extra couple of days at the gym to recapture his peak fitness. If the physio is controlling his diet, meds, movement, etc. and keeps him in the gym, then he has no need to spend an extra couple of days catching up. Or something like that.

As for the second point, I have no idea.

Hayfever has a wide range of meds that ensure most people can avoid symptoms. I'm gonna throw it out there that if being outside makes you sneeze constantly whatever your meds, you probably haven't spent your entire childhood and teenage years playing football, and so probably aren't a pro footballer.

I may be talking complete rubbish here, but I think younger people are about three times as susceptible to catching colds. No idea if age and injuries/illness are implemented in FM though.

Younger people are more susceptible if they haven't already built up resistance to them, true. It does seem like youth teamers have a total monopoly on colds and viruses though.

my question is why do players get flu in the middle of summer

Because common colds and flu aren't caused by cold weather, they're caused by virus'. The whole "Don't go out in the cold you'll get sick" thing that was drummed into peoples heads as children isn't true. You could stand outside in -10 temperatures in short and t-shirts if you really wanted, and not catch a cold.

The only reason that common cold and flu is associated with cold weather is cause flu season etc is during the winter season.

Edit:

Also, I'd imagine it heals quicker with the physio because they're likely to have them active, which will help sweat the virus out.

There was that time Balotelli came off against Dynamo Kiev because he was allergic to the pitch.

http://tinyurl.com/3av2lzu

That made me laugh so hard! You have got to love Balotelli just for the way he reacts to everything lol!

Back to the thread, it does seem the same with me as well, that the youngsters seem to get more colds than the first team. But as it has been said, your player picks up an injury and the database selects at random which one to use, and dealing with Injuries the physio will be the quickest option.

Temptation maybe! Slightly shorter injury for one player, against the possibility of similar injuries for many players.

Regarding the point about younger people being more susceptible to colds and flu, this may be true, but I'm sure most of us here who are in our mid/late 20s or mid/late 30s have experienced colds at some point. As was pointed out, regardless of which age groups are more susceptible, there is still an unrealistic monopoly on these illnesses by the young players. That being said, it's almost certainly not the biggest issue for any of us!

The official explanation is that the physio will know as soon as the player is ready to train again after his cold, while when the player goes home, he usually waits a day or two extra to be sure that he's completely over the cold. At least that's what I remember reading on the forum a couple of seasons back.

Would like an option to use send home in every instance for this. Same with injections really, I have never chosen to use an injection.

This, or even better, a feature that gives you the player's opinion, for example he either doesn't really mind not playing in a match against average opposition or he wants the injection because he wants to play desperately in the Champions League final, it would be nice to hear their say.

Love you're username :)

1) I don't know why allergies and such aren't in the game. Paul scholes for an example is asmatic. it would make sense but maybe that's too much detail. Maybe being trating by club physios also means the team doctor who would be able to help with symtoms.

2) I always imagined it was becasue the youth players pick up colds at teenage discos (I laughed when rooney got a cold lately in my save). Maybe it's becasue they're still in school and germs/infections spread quickly there. There most be some rational behind it because it seems to be coded into the game

Archived