Preferred Foot and Position

I understand the advantages and disadvantages of playing a wide player on his natural flank but in regard to more central roles is there any difference?

For example if I play a front two is there any benefit to playing a right footed striker on the right and left footer on the left or does it become irrelevant?

I understand the advantages and disadvantages of playing a wide player on his natural flank but in regard to more central roles is there any difference?

For example if I play a front two is there any benefit to playing a right footed striker on the right and left footer on the left or does it become irrelevant?

It does make a difference but like a lot of choices there are +s & -s.

eg playing a left footed striker on the right of two means he can cut in more centrally and have more of the goal to aim at but at the same time when he gets played through he'll be on his "wrong foot" Just depends what you prefer but the real answer is to get forwards who can use both feet.

Sometimes it is an advantage for the strikers to be left-footed when playing on the left and vice versa. Other times it is an advantage to have the opposite foot. It depends entirely on where they have the ball when finishing and which foot they can use (the angle of approach).

I like to have left footers on the left of the pitch, right on the right.

Except for two occasions:

1. With two strikers, I prefer them to be on the opposite side to their preferred foot.

2. When playing one up front, my wingers tend to start on the opposite sides and then switch positions randomly throughout the match. I always look for wingers that can play on both sides.

Having a player with Either foot can be good, but having that high ability in both feet has a very noticeable knock-on effect on the rest of his attributes. Finishing 20 with Left Only can become Finishing 15 with Either.

You'll rarely see an Either-footed player with 20s anywhere. Personally I prefer a one-sided player and then set up the team to make use of that more. It does leave you more suspect to the opposition instructions, but with a good enough player it wont matter.

Archived