Football manager 2012, No bugs?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be more bugs than before simply because the game gets more complicated and more half working features are introduced.

Unfortunately the choices for a yearly game are either the EA model of releasing exactly the same game with new databases or the SI model with lots of new features but it takes several months to sort them out to get a playable game.

I listened to a podcast of a software engineer, not for football manager though I suspect the same applies.

There are only so many new features they can fit in in the timeframe set out. Sometimes new features require 2 or 3 years to implement fully.

They constantly work on fixing bugs within the software. And when new things are added to the software it can have a knock on effect in parts that wouldn't think it would.

What we see is graphics on a screen and go "how can you mess it up that badly!" What they see is code and a database.

Only if they increase the scale of the SI team and invest enough to have a team that can actually handle yearly releases without rushing the so called 'gold' code.

They'd need to hire several million people in order to test FM completely.

I've read somewhere that each time a new Football manager game gets released there are less bugs than the previous version. So do you think we will get a bug free game this year or at least a game with the least amount of bugs ever?

Never been a computer programme coded without bugs yet, and chances are there never will be, at least when coded by human hand and brain.

There will be more bugs than before simply because the game gets more complicated and more half working features are introduced.

Unfortunately the choices for a yearly game are either the EA model of releasing exactly the same game with new databases or the SI model with lots of new features but it takes several months to sort them out to get a playable game.

Wow another negative post from philly, what a shock :rolleyes:

Given that FM11 had less bugs than FM10 and FM10 had less than FM09 what exactly are you basing your assumption on??

• SI Staff
Only if they increase the scale of the SI team and invest enough to have a team that can actually handle yearly releases without rushing the so called 'gold' code.

Adding more bodies won't necessarily mean less bugs. It could have the opposite effect.

Wow another negative post from philly, what a shock :rolleyes:

Given that FM11 had less bugs than FM10 and FM10 had less than FM09 what exactly are you basing your assumption on??

Seems like someone cant handle the truth. The assumption is based on game breaking bugs that need at least 1 patch to sort out.

Thats still preferable to the EA model which is a pisstake on the customers.

Seems like someone cant handle the truth. The assumption is based on game breaking bugs that need at least 1 patch to sort out.

Thats still preferable to the EA model which is a pisstake on the customers.

:rolleyes:

Seems like someone has lost sight of what the truth actually is.

Seriously philly what "game breaking" bugs have you encountered firsthand in the last few versions??

Phily is right though about sorting out the game bugs with new features.

I buy software that costs 1,000€ about every 18 months. With the new version of the software there is bugs.

It's not just FM that works like this. Virtually all software is like this.

:rolleyes:

Seems like someone has lost sight of what the truth actually is.

Seriously philly what "game breaking" bugs have you encountered firsthand in the last few versions??

Regens being awful which ruined long term games, internationals clashing with games meaning you have 3 players to chose from and a long term injury virtually every game being just 3 of them in recent years.

Phily is right though about sorting out the game bugs with new features.

I buy software that costs 1,000€ about every 18 months. With the new version of the software there is bugs.

It's not just FM that works like this. Virtually all software is like this.

Exactly, we know:

A) All software has bugs

B) New features are more likely to have bugs

C) FM has consistently had less bugs which each version over the last few years/seasons/releases

and yet despite this philly has reached the conclusion that the next FM will have more bugs than ever before which will leave it unplayable. There is nothing except his own negativity (which influences virtually every post he makes on the forum) that supports that conclusion.

The fact that SI has reduced the number of bugs over the last few releases show that they are moving in the right direction and they should be praised for that rather than berated.

Regens being awful which ruined long term games, internationals clashing with games meaning you have 3 players to chose from and a long term injury virtually every game being just 3 of them in recent years.

newgens are the same for all teams (human & ai) so there isn't a balance problem while its not a game breaking issue in general - you can play, you can sign players, its just the players aren't as well balanced as the original database.

International clashes are annoying, they are a bug but its an odd match - again far from game breaking.

Long term injuries - Never existed and were never a bug.

international clashes are game breaking when they clash with euro matches and completely ruin your season.

Long term injuries was a well documented bug on a previous version, youd have at least a quarter of your squad out.

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/forum/topic/34051-injuries-on-fm2009/

youre in denial or clearly didnt play the game.

international clashes are game breaking when they clash with euro matches and completely ruin your season.

The other team are likely to have international players missing as well but at the end of the day one match isn't game breaking. Then you also need to consider how often does it happen? Judging from the forum posts it seems to be fairly rare therefore only happening to a small % of users and even then only an odd season in a save.

Long term injuries was a well documented bug on a previous version, youd have at least a quarter of your squad out.

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/forum/topic/34051-injuries-on-fm2009/

youre in denial or clearly didnt play the game.

I played lots thanks, did you?

If I remember correctly the amount of injuries was a little higher than it should have been on release (but not game breaking) and it was lessened slightly with a patch soon after.

After that my injuries were very much in line with real life figures and if you search the forum I'm sure you'll find a number of posts I made in relation to that particular subject including detailed stats over a five season period from my save.

Users that had problems with injuries generally fell into two categories:

A) They were asking the players to do too much in training and on the pitch leading to a higher risk of injury.

B) Injuries in previous versions were not in line with real life figures and users struggled to adjust to this change.

I can confirm that Football Manager 2012 will not feature spiders, earwigs, centipedes or indeed, cockroaches.
Brilliant. SI are doing the decent thing and removing Agents:mad: from the game.

Ahh, but I was quite specific... I didn't mention blood sucking leeches! ;)

Sadly, they remain, just as in the real football world.

Ive no doubt you defended it, Ive seen your type who make a knee jerk reaction to any criticism

How is collecting five seasons worth of stats, collating them and comparing them to real life stats a knee jerk reaction?

Deny the Spanish suspension bug wasnt game breaking for anyone who played in Spain.

Yes there was a bug in the Spanish leagues where two yellows = a suspension. However it was the same rules for AI teams as well so the human manager had no advantage/disadvantage over the AI.

Was it annoying? yes but there were plenty of other leagues to choose from as was pointed out at the time by many users if you weren't happy with it. Was it game breaking? IMO no.

They seem to get more bugs as they go along. Things that worked fine years ago started breaking and the new features always take a few years to iron out the bugs. More features, more complexity, more bugs.

I never used to remember having any issues until the last few years. This year was the worst for me.

I don't ever see game breaking bugs and I have never experienced these bugs that you are talking about in past FM games, also in FM 10, I am in the year 2030 and have all newgens, they are perfectly fine and I prefer playing with newgens.

Ive no doubt you defended it, Ive seen your type who make a knee jerk reaction to any criticism, you are delusional if you dont think there have been any game breaking bugs.

Deny the Spanish suspension bug wasnt game breaking for anyone who played in Spain.

no one likes bugs, and people are right to complain about them. People can, and should always demand improvements. But making baseless claims that FM12 will have more bugs than ever, when the evidence so far hugely points to the contrary is frankly ridiculous.

There is clarification that needs to be said before you get your knifes, guns, machetes and pitchforks out. It all depends on definition of gamebreaking bugs. To many of you this means only when the game crashes, to others can be simply be with matches clashing with internationals, injuries, corner exploit and whatever.

There is clarification that needs to be said before you get your knifes, guns, machetes and pitchforks out. It all depends on definition of gamebreaking bugs. To many of you this means only when the game crashes, to others can be simply be with matches clashing with internationals, injuries, corner exploit and whatever.

this is very true. My biggest bugbear is the in game assistant bug, where the game doesnt immediately recognise and opposition change, so for example they might have switched from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1, but then you go the OI screen its still 4-4-2. Same with their subs. HUGELY annoying for me, but im sure not for others

Bugs are irritating yes, and you should complain (or perhaps better would be inform) the developers of any games about them. Just be glad that we actually get some support from SI, because that is not the case with some games. F1 2010 actually was almost unplayable when shipped, they misled people about what the game was actually doing, and never really fixed many of the problems despite a very active forum. Things could be worse!!

How is collecting five seasons worth of stats, collating them and comparing them to real life stats a knee jerk reaction?

Yes there was a bug in the Spanish leagues where two yellows = a suspension. However it was the same rules for AI teams as well so the human manager had no advantage/disadvantage over the AI.

Was it annoying? yes but there were plenty of other leagues to choose from as was pointed out at the time by many users if you weren't happy with it. Was it game breaking? IMO no.

Funny how SI saw it as game breaking and issued a hot fix. Its my last post on the matter because youre clearly just a fanboi.

Archived