Historical game

I would appreciate the SIGAMES produce a version of Football Manager game similar to baseball and American football management products from SportsMogul. In these games you can choose to compete in the championships of both current and those of previous years. In the game of baseball you can choose from 1900 onwards, in what American football is possible since 1970. It would be great to be able to play games with Pele, Crujff, Di Stefano Mazzola, Maradona, Eusebio, Kopa,Mattheus, etc., etc.

It's a problem of collecting the data, when these threads are made it's usually split quite even. I would love to play one myself but some people cannot see the point because as you play you would know which players are going to turn out to be world class. Like I said I would love to play from 1900 onwards. Trouble is it brings up all sort of questions. How do you find info on all the players? How do you implement league rules changes? How do you value players? If you started in 1900 will Jack Wilshere debut over 100 years into the future? Do you store every player in the database to debut at the right time or just the more famous players? How would wages work?

Collecting data for the whole world at a point in time would probably be unrealistic. Alternative limited game worlds would be rather easy to recreate however. Let's say the 1970 World Cup, only 16 teams to create. With 22 players in each squad and perhaps a coach and assistant to create for every team that's less than 400 persons to create and then you'd be able to play as for example the 1970 Brazil team. The problems with this are of course rather easy to see: 1) Licensing problems and 2) The match engine is built for modern football. It might not be that easy to recreate the tactical reality of the day with this match engine.

I've always said SI should make the databases compatible with future games, so you can load up say this years db in 10 years 10.

Not a programmer, don't know how hard that would be to implement. You see some great retro databases being made, 95/96, 00/01 I have seen for recent FMs and very detailed, but they go to waste once a newer version comes out.

I know that many fans of FM have created databases with the past players, myself for FM 2010 I edited one with the Italian Serie A and B 1965-66. But I have to play in a world with rules of 2010. Until 1990 there were only 33 countries in Europe, the Champions League was a knockout, in Italy from 1966 until 1980 you could not buy foreign players, the Cup Winners' Cup was played, etc., etc.. I know that with the editor you can change something, but it is a huge work for one fan.

Does anyone know how games like OOTP Baseball/Baseball Mogul handle rule changes etc, and if well known, iconic players (Micky Mantle, Babe Ruth and so on) always end up world class in such games, or is there an element of superstars not reaching their potential and becoming only serviceable, bit part players?

Archived