When did your Football Management PC Gaming begin?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winners being the key word ;)

I started with one of the first CMs. I can't remember which one it was, but I do recall a friend told me to use 1-4-5 or some such tactic, and we scored for fun with it. Played some other management games around this time too, but I can't recall which.

Bought CM 97/98 and had lots of fun with it. Then the über-legendary CM01/02 - the best game SI have ever made.

Played demos in 2002 and 2003, since it was an inspiration for EHM and Riz had directed us from his old forum at peliplaneetta to check it out.

First purchase was WWSM2006 and I've bought every year since.

Bought each iteration of EHM, prior to that. I think those came out in 2004, 2005, and 2006

Championship Manager 93. Christian Vieri as a 19 year old. Signing Andy Cole on the highest wages the game would allow: £9999. Marvelous.

When the CM Italia version came out me and my mates would discuss the best players and formations in the playground.

I can't believe its almost 20 years now.

Ah, the BBC Micro. My first ever computer. I remember creating my own games using BASIC. Happy days! :)

My first CM/FM experience with SI was of CM2, which apparently came out in 1995. I've bought every version since without exception and played on each one. I've only had intermittent breaks from the game and they have usually lasted for a few months. So that's 16 years of my life playing this series of games!

I don't think I've been dedicated to anything as long as that. Maybe I've been dedicated to supporting the England national team longer than that (I've wanted England to win something for as long as I can remember) but other than that, nothing in my life has lasted so long. My tastes in books and music has changed, even my tastes in football clubs, but I still love playing football manager games.

Even when everything else in my life has changed, I've still bought another CM or FM, fired it up, and played! :)

Player Manager on Amiga, 1990 or so.

I still remember that I made a 2-5-3 tactic which was absolutely awesome. The two defenders were set to "cover" in all the 12/15(?) tactical areas, and at least three of the five midfielders were always in the centre of that square. The three strikers were set in a "stair" formation up front, so that when one of the 7 other players got the ball, he passed it to the nearest striker who passed it on to the next who then passed it on to the next who was then one-on-one with the keeper.

Worker like a charm and was beautiful to watch :D

Player Manager on Amiga, 1990 or so.

I still remember that I made a 2-5-3 tactic which was absolutely awesome. The two defenders were set to "cover" in all the 12/15(?) tactical areas, and at least three of the five midfielders were always in the centre of that square. The three strikers were set in a "stair" formation up front, so that when one of the 7 other players got the ball, he passed it to the nearest striker who passed it on to the next who then passed it on to the next who was then one-on-one with the keeper.

Worker like a charm and was beautiful to watch :D

think that was my first manager too that i played.

First one from the cm-series was with romario, stoichkov and van basten. You could only play in italy, and could have only 3 foreign players. i've played it numerous times, and was only one time able to buy stoichkov and he was a beast.

i would give a finger to play that game one more time

CM Italia was the first game I played with my mates on their computers. I bought CM2 to play on my family's brand spanking new Windows 95 computer. As I remember, it had 166 mHz, 32 MB of RAM and a whopping 2 GB HD, so it ran the game really, really fast.

Hmmm...

It was probably Pc Calcio [aka Pc Futbol] 4.0 in 1995, along with Premier Manager 3... Around the same time I remember briefly trying CM Italia at a local videogame store. It was relatively late, but I bought my first (used) computer in 1995, and I never owned an Amiga or any other gaming machine that had football management games AFAIK...

Then the following year I picked up a used copy of CM 96-97 and here I am... 15 years later and still a CM/FM addict

Relatively late bloomer compared to most, my first foray into PC footy management was CM99/00. This was at a friend's house as we couldn't afford a PC back then.

I did play console and play by mail versions back in 94 or 95. Wow, I feel old now!

'Please wait while the league table is calculated'? Jeez I could have done it quicker myself. And why do I have Kevin Keegan and Cyrille Regis as Arsenal? :lol:

I started with Football Manager on the C64 back in 89-90. Never could crack the 1st divison with that though (there was also a nifty American Football manager game which I was more successful at).

Then I moved onto Premier Manager 95 with the Mega Drive, which was fun. Once got Torquay to win the league with a glitch which gave me the ultimate player. He was a midfielder with 90+ in all the stats.

I finally graduated to SI with CM 97/98 (Fabio Vignaroli for the win) on the PC late in 98 or early 99. Fun game and I haven't looked back since (though I haven't bought every game, due to not really having a useful computer most of the time).

Archived