Pay up contract

So I've heard after tonight's Meireles deal that supposedly if a player submits a transfer request and it is accepted, the owning club does not have to pay up his contract. Hence why it is speculated that Liverpool sold Meireles only after he put in the transfer request.

Does this have any impact in FM?

Do players who have requested a transfer in FM also demand that the selling club keep paying part of his wages?

Yes, Loyalty bonuses, they are usually called don't appear to be in the contract options currently in FM. However, the FM12 announcement seems to indicate a selection of new transfer and contract options. Given the role that loyalty bonuses plaid in the Cesc Fabregas deal (he agreed to forego future bonuses he would have been entitled to in order to facilitate the deal, without actually submitting a transfer request) and Meireles as you mention (lost them due to submitting transfer request), I'd expect them to be an option for the next version. Perhaps we'll also see clearer 'pay as you play' options for older/often injured players.

That's a good point about loyalty bonuses. Kanukki. I'd like to see there somehow being a financial benefit for the club if you have a player "who turn on you" and seek employment elsewhere. Severence pay for player who wants to leave vs player who does not want to leave is huge IRL.

That's a good point about loyalty bonuses. Kanukki. I'd like to see there somehow being a financial benefit for the club if you have a player "who turn on you" and seek employment elsewhere. Severence pay for player who wants to leave vs player who does not want to leave is huge IRL.

and this is surely the case in FM as well.

You transfer a player and you don't pay them any further wages unless you have a rare occasion where they come back asking for you to pay part of their contract (Only seems to happen when you want rid of them).

That's gonna really hurt if implemented. you have a star player who demands a transfer, causes squad disharmony, then the agent insists you pay him a fat wedge to go. Grrr!

I don't think this is how it works in FM or in real life. If the player demands a transfer, then he loses his rights to the "loyalty bonus" - which is part of the salary that is paid by the selling club to the player even after the player is transferred to a new team and signs a contract with them. So the loyalty bonus would only paid in cases where the club sold him without him wanting to go (or at least without him submitting a written transfer request).

Kanukki, if the press is to be believed (!!) there are numerous cases of player-enforced transfers being held up by haggling over the loyalty payment. Most recently, it was newsworthy that Meireles had to hand in a last-minute written request and forego the bonus to get his move, and Fabregas magnanimously sacrifices his despite not putting his clear wishes in writing. They were the exceptions.

Kanukki, if the press is to be believed (!!) there are numerous cases of player-enforced transfers being held up by haggling over the loyalty payment. Most recently, it was newsworthy that Meireles had to hand in a last-minute written request and forego the bonus to get his move, and Fabregas magnanimously sacrifices his despite not putting his clear wishes in writing. They were the exceptions.

I think we're actually in agreement about how this works... but must admit I may have confused myself. :)

Just noticed though that 'loyalty bonuses' are specifically mentioned in the FM 12 announcement under Transfers & Contracts, so we'll be seeing soon enough how they will be implemented in FM.

Archived