Injury Shock

When I see people that have posts about how gutted they are about their star player getting injured, I think get over it, it's just a game. But just started a new game, and in January. I am MK Dons, was looking for mid table given the resources available to me. My star striker, Sam Baldock, 16 goals in 26 games gets a broken foot, out for 5 months. I actually held my head and said F*ck, he's out for the season. What adds to my woes is half my squad is injured, all long term injuries. I say to myself, get over it, it's just a game, yeah right.

Haha, I dont have the time to play it as much as I used to but I remember a couple of years back losing to Barcelona in the Champions League final and being genuinely upset. Looking back, I think, "wow was that a bit of an over-reaction or what?"

Hell no.

Incidentally, did you ever hear that story - not sure if its true - about this guy years back who was caught by his girlfriend having a press conference in his living room at 2 in the morning? Apaprently had the lights and micrphones set up and everything. Thats passion. :)

Haha, did you ever hear that story - not sure if its true - about this guy years back who was caught by his girlfriend having a press conference in his living room at 2 in the morning? Apaprently had the lights and micrphones set up and everything. Thats passion. :)

Yeah, she's my wife now :rolleyes: Ha only joking, I take all my press conferences on the John.

Been there done that.

Playing in L2 as Bath City, and I get my greedy hands on a very good argentinian DMC/Playmaker .... He plays two games and gets an 8 month injury.

I sign a very promising young norwegian midfielder. He gets a 7 month injury in his first game.

My most important midfielder over the first two seasons, just got injured for at least 6 months. Good thing the DMC above is about ready to play again, in time for the new season ;)

I lost my star midfielder on the 2nd of Feb for 6 months with a broken leg, cant find a replacement obviously and lost the first two games i played without him :( 15 goals and 22 assists by that point in the season so he was vital to the team.

That seems like more than all my non-strikers do combined in a season ;) ... do you use him as an AMC to get that amount of goals/assists?

No i have him playing in the left side in the middle of a flat 4-4-2, set to Advanced playmaker with a few edited instructions, high dribbling, long shots and lots of through balls. He is set to be the teams main playmaker in the TC as well, most of my play goes through this boy, and he takes all my free kicks. He has the "drops deep" PPM which i find makes a huge amount of difference he always drops into space and he is very quick so can ghost past players easily at times.

He has just been on fire this year, he has beaten his record for the previous 3 seasons in 6 months this year, thats what makes it so gutting!!

No i have him playing in the left side in the middle of a flat 4-4-2, set to Advanced playmaker

Then it can't be a flat 4-4-2, you can only set advanced playmaker if the player is in the winger position. In a flat 4-4-2 you can only have winger, wide midfielder and defensive winger.

What he said.

He plays in the MLC role with advanced playmaker settings, like i say slightly edited. I should add he is right footed, which is why i put him on the left hand side, with his technique and long shots stat he is lethal from the edge of the box.

Sorry by bad, didn't read, we cool?

The injury problems comes from one minor unrealistic feature only: Opposition Instructions.

More specifically, the Hard Tackling: Always instruction.

The AI auto-sets OI before each match, and they set hard tackling always on the following types of player:

* The leading stars

* Anyone set to Target Man or Playmaker duty

* Fast players

* Players lacking Bravery

* Creative players

* Players with high Dribbling

* Strong and tall players

* The player which is said to be the major threat in the pre-match press-conference and/or scout report

* Players with Hold Up Ball duty

* Players with high Flair

* Players with the shoots from distance PPM

* Good players

* Players in bad form

* Players in good form

* Your top goalscorer

* Your top assist man

* Players with low Strength

* Players with low Determination

etc etc etc

... basically, if you have a team consisting of good players for the league, the AI will set their players to tackle all of yours as hard as they can and if they succeed to motivate your players you -will- have injuries because the referee won't bother.

I hope that FM12 involves other ways of dealing with fast, creative players than Hard Tackling.

No its just an injury, i dont suffer from injury problems, my players do not get hacked constantly, they do not have to be subbed because of hard tackling or anything, and my injury came from a training incident. Infact i have not in 22 seasons suffered from an injury crisis or had any problems because of what your saying.

I have this wonderkid in my team, he's now 20 and has been playing for me since 16. Last season he got injured in January and was out for 3 to 4 months, basically the 2nd half of the season. I'm gutted, as this really affects his chance of making it into the 1000 appearances hall of fame!

No its just an injury, i dont suffer from injury problems, my players do not get hacked constantly, they do not have to be subbed because of hard tackling or anything, and my injury came from a training incident. Infact i have not in 22 seasons suffered from an injury crisis or had any problems because of what your saying.

Well, I had my world-class, tall, strong, fast, creative, technical striker injured for 3-4 months. This happens, no problem. Then, when he got back on the pitch, he was injured again for two weeks the first match he played (sub). Then, when he got back from -that- injury, he was hacked down once again and got injured in the first match when he was substituted. It was literally the first thing that happened after he entered the pitch. He is not injury-prone and has high Natural Fitness.

I rage-quitted. Admit that. Upon cooling down and re-loading, he got a minor knock (no cross) in the match instead, after a similar tackle.

Injuries happen when players are tired, lacks match fitness yes. I have never had injury crises because I rotate so much. However, click on "assistant advice OI" and check out what he proposes: hard tackling and weaker foot on everyone (nearly). I suppose - no I KNOW that the AI do this in every match as it is the standard procedure when facing good players.

Why on earth would hard tackling deffer fast dribblers from dribbling? Everyone does that and the refeeres do nothing about it!

I seem to have bad luck with my international teams. Second world cup in a row after picking my team I lost my keeper and best forward, plus at least 1 other key player.

Wouldn't be a problem with Spain, England etc but I was Ivory Coast and then Nigeria! They can barely scrape a squad together as it is. One game I couldn't select enough keepers(minimum 3) as 3 of 5 were injured! Can't remember how I got past that but think I got a grey keeper or a new young one appeared.

Well, I had my world-class, tall, strong, fast, creative, technical striker injured for 3-4 months. This happens, no problem. Then, when he got back on the pitch, he was injured again for two weeks the first match he played (sub). Then, when he got back from -that- injury, he was hacked down once again and got injured in the first match when he was substituted. It was literally the first thing that happened after he entered the pitch. He is not injury-prone and has high Natural Fitness.

I rage-quitted. Admit that. Upon cooling down and re-loading, he got a minor knock (no cross) in the match instead, after a similar tackle.

Injuries happen when players are tired, lacks match fitness yes. I have never had injury crises because I rotate so much. However, click on "assistant advice OI" and check out what he proposes: hard tackling and weaker foot on everyone (nearly). I suppose - no I KNOW that the AI do this in every match as it is the standard procedure when facing good players.

Why on earth would hard tackling deffer fast dribblers from dribbling? Everyone does that and the refeeres do nothing about it!

I would suggest your player was extremely unlucky, i dont think i can remember that happening to any of my lightweight flair players. I have had players go off injured after coming back from injury but that can happen.

Hard tackling doesnt mean they will half down a player constantly, it also does not mean a player will hurt someone. I use the assistant instructions for all games and i dont see many players getting hacked by my team, i dont get many yellow cards because of mistimed or bad tackles on players, surely if hard tackling ment all of what you have suggested then MY team would suffer as much as any in the game?

I would suggest your player was extremely unlucky, i dont think i can remember that happening to any of my lightweight flair players. I have had players go off injured after coming back from injury but that can happen.

Hard tackling doesnt mean they will half down a player constantly, it also does not mean a player will hurt someone. I use the assistant instructions for all games and i dont see many players getting hacked by my team, i dont get many yellow cards because of mistimed or bad tackles on players, surely if hard tackling ment all of what you have suggested then MY team would suffer as much as any in the game?

I see them run towards my quicker players, mouths frothing eyes glaring, sliding in at every opportunity. When dribbling, one player after another slides in but they rarely connect. One of my players lack creativity and stuff like that and they don't really care about him. The difference is easy to spot. Players set to Hard Tackling Always don't bother going for the ball, they are equally happy if they strike the man.

Mind you, the manager needs to succeed with his team talk for this to happen. Nervous, playing ok and complacent/disinterested players don't do this so often. Motivated, fired up and In danger of losing discipline all seems to mean Rage Virus zombie-attack rather than a football match.

The referees allow it (I imagine him clapping his hands happily), while giving yellow cards to players sticking out their foot to catch someone in the midfield going away from the goal... in slow motion and with minimal force.

... Maybe it is different in Italy or Spain?

Without having looked at statistics or investigated many saves and seasons, there seems to be an over-representation of fast, creative, technically proficient players on the injury lists. I think I know the reason for this, that is all.

Maybe they concentrate more on stepping out of the way of the tackle than stepping over the ball. :D

I see them run towards my quicker players, mouths frothing eyes glaring, sliding in at every opportunity. When dribbling, one player after another slides in but they rarely connect. One of my players lack creativity and stuff like that and they don't really care about him. The difference is easy to spot. Players set to Hard Tackling Always don't bother going for the ball, they are equally happy if they strike the man.

Mind you, the manager needs to succeed with his team talk for this to happen. Nervous, playing ok and complacent/disinterested players don't do this so often. Motivated, fired up and In danger of losing discipline all seems to mean Rage Virus zombie-attack rather than a football match.

The referees allow it (I imagine him clapping his hands happily), while giving yellow cards to players sticking out their foot to catch someone in the midfield going away from the goal... in slow motion and with minimal force.

... Maybe it is different in Italy or Spain?

Without having looked at statistics or investigated many saves and seasons, there seems to be an over-representation of fast, creative, technically proficient players on the injury lists. I think I know the reason for this, that is all.

I think we must be playing different games, the one you describe has a lot of extreme situations that never occur in mine. But i highly doubt SI programme players to intentionally injure players, doesn't matter what you think you "know".

Injuries happen when players are tired, lacks match fitness yes. I have never had injury crises because I rotate so much.

I can confirm that, my small MK dons squad is half injured, why? Because the half that are not injured get injured because I have no choice but to start them at 70%-75% fitness. By half time they're at 45% they get injured. But I can do nothing, no reserves and my youth are not worth playing. 70% first team player is better than a 100% youth. Thank God I'm in January now.

I think we must be playing different games, the one you describe has a lot of extreme situations that never occur in mine. But i highly doubt SI programme players to intentionally injure players, doesn't matter what you think you "know".

I think they happen in yours too, you just don't reflect on it - or you interpret them differently.

One such situation I am talking about is when your player is advancing with the ball and tries to go past one defender, who bodychecks/tackles/slides in on him so that both slow down, your player fighting for balance but still having the ball. You can see it is a hard tackle where the opponent doesn't get the ball, but certainly your player. Then he continues his advance - often being slid in on by the next defender and then the next. This normally results in either an injury, a free-kick (no card) or that your player finally loses the ball because he was too busy surviving violent assaults from every angle.

Another situation (and this is how my star striker got injured thrice) is when the striker comes deep to get the ball, then is kicked down from behind by one of the defenders. You can see that he is fouled, as his feet is airborne when the defender tackles through him before hitting the ball. No yellow card for this either, sometimes not even a free-kick. The game celebrates this with a "fantastic tackle" comment. It is obvious for any human manager watching that this is pure violence.

Since this doesn't happen to non-creative, non-fast (sub 15's) players, I put two and two together and come up with the answer.

I wish I could have a "injure player" button too, sometimes!

No player is instructed to go out and intentially assult someone on the football pitch, players may get over excited or angry at times, but no manger will send his player out with the intention of seriously hurting another player, not in modern football. I highly doubt SI would go to any lengths to programme this. They avoid anything on the edge of being against the rules, this would certainly come under that bracket. Not only would it be imoral it would be illegal. Any manager caught sending a player with these instructions would be in very very very big trouble if caught.

I'm not talking about instructions from a manager, but a player's own mentality that leads him to intentionally injure another player, and they are not a thing of the past. I'm not saying that SI do program this into the game as I don't know, I just wondered why you doubt that they wouldn't.

The game has been programmed, and this scenario arises within the game, doesn't that mean it has been considered by SI and a mechanism installed that has the capability of making a player execute an injury inducing tackle?

Injuries during games are obviously programmed in, things happen during a game no one has control over. Lets also remember that when a player gets injured the game does not reconise that he was involved in a challenge which hurt his leg for example, but the game decideds the player was injured and picks a suitable injury from the database. But intentionally hurting someone based on pre-game instructions will definately not be included in FM. Instructing someone to tackle hard and to injure a player are two very different things although a hard tackle may lead to an injury it is not to be thought of as an instruction to hurt players.

Injuries during games are obviously programmed in, things happen during a game no one has control over. Lets also remember that when a player gets injured the game does not reconise that he was involved in a challenge which hurt his leg for example, but the game decideds the player was injured and picks a suitable injury from the database. But intentionally hurting someone based on pre-game instructions will definately not be included in FM. Instructing someone to tackle hard and to injure a player are two very different things although a hard tackle may lead to an injury it is not to be thought of as an instruction to hurt players.

Yes that is me being a conspiracy nut.

However, even though the AI does not have a Injure Player button, playing -every- game of the season against desperate teams trying to stop you by "going in hard on their creative/star players to scare them off dribbling/dominating" IS going to end tragically. It is only a matter of time before one of those hard tackles by losing-discipline opponents results in an injury.

As long as Hard Tackling: Always is the -only- remedy the AI uses to stop your fast and creative players (and big, strong players), playmakers and target men... then this is always going to be a problem. What we need is more OI tools.

An example of such a tool to stop the creative forces of the opponent would be "Double cover" as a winger OI. In other words the option to instruct extra defensive awareness on one flank. When you're playing against a single striker, only one of your central defenders is marking him - what about an instruction for both CD's to concentrate on stopping that player? The drawback of both instructions would be more space elsewhere, which could be exploited.

The Hard Tackling and Weaker Foot OI's come with no drawbacks.

• 6 months later...
The Hard Tackling and Weaker Foot OI's come with no drawbacks.

This is because the distribution of yellow/red cards is calibrated in accordance with the AI's default tactical tendencies. So even if the AI overuses hard tackling relative to real life, disciplinary action will be adjusted to reflect real life levels (with most yellows, as a result, simply resulting from minor shirt-tugging and jockeying toe stomps while extreme leniency is granted towards reckless tackling). Thus, I rarely see injury-inflicting horror tackles met with any kind of punishment. In fact, I recently had a winger stretchered off for a destroyed calf muscle and then called back onto the pitch to be carded for diving. If officials were set to realistically punish hard tackling, the number of AI players sent off would sky rocket.

However, I wouldn't say there are no drawbacks. There is actually a huge drawback from the overuse of hard tackling: sliding tackles constantly leave AI sides exposed defensively. While it's annoying to see my creative, fit and injury-resistant AMC constantly sidelined from horror tackles, I also see an enormous number of chances created from defenders literally throwing themselves to the ground instead of defending properly and simply restricting space.

Archived