"Pleased to be playing alongside X" and a dilemma

Right, I signed Anthony Pilkington on a free transfer a couple of season ago when my Hereford team were in League One and playing an attacking 4-4-2 with wingers not wide midfielders. However, we are now in the Championship playing a wingless formation and Pilks, bless him, is only 2.5 stars in the AM position and 1.5 stars in the CM position which means he is way way down the pecking order for either position. His attributes, pound for pound, just don't match up to the other players in the squad that can play those positions even allowing for the fact that he's two-footed. The problem I have though is that all bar 6 of my first team squad of 26 either "thinks Pilkington is a good player" or is "pleased to be playing alongside Pilkington".

Now, I'm quite pleased with the change of formation and the quality of the new players I've signed; I'm pleased with the depth of the squad in all areas; and I'm reasonably pleased with the team's form and league position. But I now have a number of players who can play right or left wing who are surplus to requirements. Most are young and I've been able to farm them out to other clubs on loan/sell them; one is approaching the end of his career and I fully expect him to announce his retirement before the end of the season; one can also play the AM position and currently tops the team's assists chart; and then there's Pilks...

The way I see it, if I sell him I am gonna upset most of the squad and if I don't play him that's going to upset him, which is going to upset the rest of the squad but, if I do play him, he's likely to be more of a liability than an asset... I'm kind of playing him sparingly in the "less important" games or as a sub at the moment but he isn't starting any fires when he does play and it's usually at the expense of a much better player.

What else could I do? What would you do?

Archived