FM12 Deadline Day

Sitting at work watching SSN and thinking - why is deadline day in the game so... (for lack of a better word) boring! The excitement of last minute deals, trying to get players in time and talks breaking down in the dying minutes just doesn't happen in the game! Things like me making an offer for a player based in Australia with an hour til the window shuts doesn't seem to phase the fact that 15 minutes later I'm talking to him and by midnight he's signed - even though it takes 24 hours to travel from Auz.

Maybe make things more interesting with deadline day in the Football Manager's to come...

I would love to have deadline day be bigger in the game too. On the issue of last minute signings though, I don't think the player needs to be present for the deal to happen. They can probably do the medical wherever they are, plus I bet that some last minute signings don't have much of a medical at all. Plus paperwork can be faxed etc, so no need to be physically at the buying club imo.

Although I agree about the faxing of paperwork - in terms of bigger clubs, I think they want to discuss personal terms in person (if you know what I mean).. that's why they're going on about Peter Crouch having to travel to Sunderland atm.

They did introduce more intervals during deadline day, so it takes more 'continues' to get through the day than it did a few years ago, and I have noticed a few late bids for players, but it's still not as exciting as real life.

One thing I noticed when trying to sign a player last minute, was that I had to register my squad before the deadline, so this player could not be registered.

And players always ask for a transfer the day after the deadline - why not the day before?? Would make it much more interesting.

Am I the only one that thinks deadline day isn't that exciting in real life?

Sure media outlets try to add hype and make it sound good but is it really that different to other days?

It's more a case of excitment for what might happen, not what is happening.

Everyone says that players values are cheaper on deadline day, especially for relegated teams trying to reduce their wage bill. I would like to see that. Also when you register your players at the start of the season, those left out of the 25 man squad should ask for transfer requests and be willing to go to lower clubs. To many good players sit in the reserves, the club wants extortionate fees and most players wont even consider a move. If all this happens in FM12 this would make a very exciting transfer deadline day.

EDIT: Also when the media says I'm interested in a player I never even heard of, that annoys me. If the game looked at my short list and used stories from that, again it would make transfer deadline days better. Players from lower leagues trying to orchestrate a move to a bigger club.

Sure media outlets try to add hype and make it sound good but is it really that different to other days?

You must be the only one!

There is usually something big happening on the last day, look at January with the whole Torres/Carroll business at Liverpool, Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham a few years ago, Robbie Keane virtually every deadline day moving to his boyhood club.

You must be the only one!

There is usually something big happening on the last day, look at January with the whole Torres/Carroll business at Liverpool, Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham a few years ago, Robbie Keane virtually every deadline day moving to his boyhood club.

Robinho to City a few seasons ago (Didn't Berba sign for United as well). That was exciting.

I love it. I quite like transfer gossip and I'm pretty sure there are more transfers completed on this day than any other. I'll post the stats if SSN show them again.

I guess if you have no interest in transfers then this day is just like any other.

As a Wolves fan, I never get excited as we always seem to have done our incoming transfer business well before the deadline, which is probably the best way of doing it!

Now I'm just panicking, hoping that teams around us (the bottom 8 or 9 clubs come the end of the season) dont make too many good signings! For example, QPR!

Me neither, it's mostly just Sky and the Tabs drumming up "justification" for their baseless "scoops" by pretending that something major is going down at each and every club. The real life situation is that clubs who know what they want have gotten it (or the next best thing) 2 months previously, and clubs who either haven't a clue (e.g. current Hearts) or have been exposed as severely lacking (Arsenal) who are doing deals, usually without proper scrutiny for too high a price and wages who are destined to flop badly.

There are a few rare exceptions, where a club which is single-minded in buying is trying to negotiate with one single-minded in keeping and the deal drags on for ever.

It may not be about the big clubs buying superstars, but there is certainly a substantial number of transfers happening on this day, mostly involving fringe players looking for regular football.

In my current season there were just four transfers involving PL clubs on deadline day, two the year before and one the year before that. Perhaps there could be a bit more action?

Me neither, it's mostly just Sky and the Tabs drumming up "justification" for their baseless "scoops" by pretending that something major is going down at each and every club. The real life situation is that clubs who know what they want have gotten it (or the next best thing) 2 months previously, and clubs who either haven't a clue (e.g. current Hearts) or have been exposed as severely lacking (Arsenal) who are doing deals, usually without proper scrutiny for too high a price and wages who are destined to flop badly.

There are a few rare exceptions, where a club which is single-minded in buying is trying to negotiate with one single-minded in keeping and the deal drags on for ever.

exactly how i feel, today is all about the press getting their fill, very little to do with whats actually going on in the world of football, if you read the BBC website you would think half of the pro players are at clubs for talks about a move.

In the game, transfer deadline day is just the same as every other day - there should be more deals being thrown around in a desperate rush to strengthen the teams/unload wages/get rid of uneeded players etc.

I wouldn't mind perhaps a ticker box countdown style thing as a sidebar, not interfering with the news items or something. Just comes up on transfer deadline (perhaps two days) and shows the teams going for players.

I absolutely hate when I see that a team has a signed a player I was scouting and I don't get a message to say "Man Utd have bid for so and so"

I'd hope there would be a way if you were scouting a player to put a "Stop" action in the game as an option if another team bids for them.

Half the time I don't even know a team has bid for someone.

The biggest annoyance about FM's deadline day for me is, when managing an amateur club, the fact that another club can try to sign one of my players and I don't even get the opportunity to make a counter-offer. The first I learn of it, the player's already gone. Even more annoying when he's gone to another amateur club.

I agree that the deadline day in general could use a lot of "sprucing up" - more urgency with certain deals, and the opportunity to tell players they won't be in your Premiership/European/whatever squad to encourage them to leave.

Deadline day in FM has always disappointed me too... click continue 3 times and the day is over... eh, what? I wanted to sign that dude I just scouted... etc...

No-one makes any crazy last minute signings, not even me (mainly cos I rarely get the chance :mad:), yet we get the hype of "the game clock stops more often on deadline-day" - for what, exactly?

How difficult would it be to implement the frenzy clubs go into on transfer deadline day? Would be interesting trying to buy 3 players whilst selling/loaning out another 4..

:thup:I agree would make the game alot better and more realistic, would defo bring a bit of excitement to the transfer dead lines

It would be interesting if it could be implemented.

But surely it would only lead to people complaining about the AI signing unrealistic targets.

e.g. Arsenal sigining Benayoun.:confused::eek:

I would love it to happen in the game, but whether it help or hinder the AI would be debateable.

They could splash the rest of their budget on a top quality player, but as seen in game, not likely.

Deadline day in FM has always disappointed me too... click continue 3 times and the day is over... eh, what? I wanted to sign that dude I just scouted... etc...

No-one makes any crazy last minute signings, not even me (mainly cos I rarely get the chance :mad:), yet we get the hype of "the game clock stops more often on deadline-day" - for what, exactly?

I have done it quite a few times. Sometimes an AI team comes in for one of my players on the last day, so I then rush to replace him.

I tend to make a few signings in deadline day. I watch my team in first few games then buy players for positions I've struggled with so far in a desperate attempt to sign them. I also look in the free transfer player's and then sign them afterwards if I have to(if I haven't got my targets on deadline day).

this should of been implemented a long time ago. whether it be bellamy moving to get a 1st team game, arsenal signing players after selling fabregas and an 8-2 hammering a club needing a striker as they are not scoring enough goals or scott parker moving as he belongs in the prem, they are all reasons for late deals. there is not enough transfer activity on fm for my liking esp on deadline day.

Because the transfer model is, in my opinion, reactive you cannot get anything that would represent the deadline day melee. Human managers will mix both a reactive and proactive approach in real life.

The AI assesses the squad, and transfer lists players that are not considered strong enough for the squad, identifies a weakness in its starting XI and then approaches players that play in that position whose reputation is appropriate for that club. This can subsequently lead to the AI purchasing more than 1 player in that position, which can potentially lead to current squad players no longer being deemed strong enough, and them being transfer listed. In essence, an analysis is made, and then the AI reacts to that information.

A proactive model (which I imagine is a human trait that would be near impossible to replicate) would see the AI aware of players who would potentially be available that would improve a position, and making the necessary arrangements to facilitate a move. For example a player may become available (for example Scott Parker) that would improve the AI's team. The AI West Ham would need to start enquiring as to potential replacements before a move would be sanctioned, whilst the AI Tottenham would need to find a buyer for one of their squad players to create the opportunity for their purchase. This leads to the domino effect of Deadline Day.

Add in to the mix a breakdown of contract talks somewhere in the chain, and that seems a team having to frantically sort out a contingency plan, which knocks on to that team having to then find a potential replacement for their unexpectedly outgoing player.

Archived