Agent demands are based on his relation with you?!

I did some experiments and it seems that if an agent dislikes you he will demand up to 3 times more money (edit: player wage) to seal the deal! Isn't that very unprofessional? I would understand if the player disliked me, but the agent has to deal with me only once every 4 years! He should suck it up and act in the best interest of his client.

Even more - in my case the player actually liked me.

Imagine Messi has to renew his contract and the agent saying "I don't like you Guardiola, if you want a new contract you have to pay 1M per month or I'll sign up my player, who otherwise loves Barcelona, to Villareal for 500k per month."

Do you think it is realistic?

That theorical situation could happen, actually Maxi Pereira's agent is being a d*ck negotiating with Benfica because he moved Cristian Rodriguez to Porto.

The implementation of agents is not that bad per se, the contract negotiations in general are the problem, in many areas like the fees to the release clauses.

I don't think it's always realistic to do that, no - it's not professional, and any player would see right through it and fire the agent within days. The agent is supposed to act in the client's best interests. The agent is a broker and advisor. The moment the agent gets personal, he's failing to live up to his professional duties.

However, it would also depend on how much the agent has done for the player. "Super-agents", for example, must be able to help their clients well with any help they require. So if a player "likes" their agent, they could be less forgiving if they ask for a little more than necessary, since it is likely he will use this "extra" as motivation to aid the player further. However, tripling agent fees because of anger is not something any player would really tolerate, since it essentially blocks a transfer that a player might be interested in.

I'd argue that you can only really have a "positive" relationship with an agent, where an agent will aid a club in brokering deals in which he has access to (i.e. agents offering his other clients to a club on a first-choice basis), with the idea that while the agent will likely end up taking a lesser cut with this deal, it means that he is more of a "favoured" agent with the club so he will be able to make it up in volume (acquiring more players from that club as clients, and dealing on their behalf).

I end up having to sell players after a couple of years because of the ridiculous demands. Wages, sign on fees, it kills my budget and they ask for things that my board can't stretch to (even with a budget adjustment). £7m sign on fees for both player and agent, for example. I can't afford to renew the contract, so have to sell the player.

An agent acting solely in the best interests of his client, an interesting concept.

Agent's need to be managed to get the best deal for your club, if you mess them about IRL then they are unlikely to feel comfortable dealing with you & this needs to be reflected in in the game, what the game could do with is a way to try & get the player on your side to counter any personal issues the agent has with you.

An agent acting solely in the best interests of his client, an interesting concept.

Agent's need to be managed to get the best deal for your club, if you mess them about IRL then they are unlikely to feel comfortable dealing with you & this needs to be reflected in in the game, what the game could do with is a way to try & get the player on your side to counter any personal issues the agent has with you.

What's needed is a trap door button.

No agent acts solely for the benefits of his or her client, but they will usually keep the personal benefits to one side. Remember, a player can always switch agents - a talented player is a rarity, but an agent is much more commonplace.

The OP mentioned tripling agent fees due to dislike - this would never happen in reality, since the agent has clearly put his personal desires into the deal and threatened it from happening.

No agent acts solely for the benefits of his or her client, but they will usually keep the personal benefits to one side. Remember, a player can always switch agents - a talented player is a rarity, but an agent is much more commonplace.

The OP mentioned tripling agent fees due to dislike - this would never happen in reality, since the agent has clearly put his personal desires into the deal and threatened it from happening.

This has happened in real life, a good example is Wenger and Nasri's agent Bernes, who have a mutual hatred going back to Wenger's monaco days. As such he made the contract renewal as difficult as possible, demanding a huge wage rise for Nasri, which Arsenal couldnt match. As we know, Nasri is now at City

This has happened in real life, a good example is Wenger and Nasri's agent Bernes, who have a mutual hatred going back to Wenger's monaco days. As such he made the contract renewal as difficult as possible, demanding a huge wage rise for Nasri, which Arsenal couldnt match. As we know, Nasri is now at City

Also isnt Nasri's agent the reason why the Man Utd deal fell through? Apparently he wanted £4m and United refused. Even City were in two minds about it apparently. When Nasri thought the City deal was also of, he supposedly went back to United to try and get the deal back on and they told him to sling it. He thought he was staying at Arsenal until City came back in after he played against Liverpool.

Also isnt Nasri's agent the reason why the Man Utd deal fell through? Apparently he wanted £4m and United refused. Even City were in two minds about it apparently. When Nasri thought the City deal was also of, he supposedly went back to United to try and get the deal back on and they told him to sling it. He thought he was staying at Arsenal until City came back in after he played against Liverpool.

Yep, he's a right character.

But did he make the same huge wage demand from City? If he did, then I'd say he just got the best deal for his player.

In the game as it is now he would ask of Arsenal twice what he asks of City, only because he doesn't like Wenger, which is personal.

Also isnt Nasri's agent the reason why the Man Utd deal fell through? Apparently he wanted £4m and United refused. Even City were in two minds about it apparently.

So he asked the same 4m also from City? Doesn't seem like getting personal, but getting the highest contract possible.

Being an agent is being in buisness, there is no way the player is their only concern, lining their own pockets will be a HUGE concern for agents, there is little reason to get into that buisness unless you want to make money from the player.

Also as stated its quite well know that Nasri's agent and Wenger do not like each other and it made the contract negotiations impossible.

So he asked the same 4m also from City? Doesn't seem like getting personal, but getting the highest contract possible.

Where did I say anything about it being personal? I just said his agent asked for a ridiculous fee and got told to do one. And City also didnt like the fee. Who knows, after he thought he was staying at Arsenal, maybe his agent lowered his demands, but by this time United weren't interested.

It is okay to ask clubs for a ridiculous fee because that's what he thinks the player is worth. The thread is about asking different things from different clubs only because of the agent's personal opinion of their managers.

I think x42bn6's idea that the relation should be only positive has some merit. Maybe only the agent's fee should be affected downwards if he likes you, otherwise it is unprofessional and hurting the player.

I usually just see the negotiation.

Reset it to the standard contract (bottom of neg screen)

Usually accepted. The wage is about 1/3 what the agent was asking for. The signing on fee a 1/3 and actually most prices drop significantly when reset.

It's usually accepted.

If the Agent wants more. Then I weigh up how much I want to keep the player.

If I want them I'll give the agent the fee.

If I am on the fence about it I'll leave it for a month or so, usuallywhen you get close to the expiry date the demands drop significantly.

If I don't want the player at all I'll cancel the contract negotiation and I'll transfer list the player.

I wonder when footballers will realise that the amount of money taken out of the game by agents playing both sides is unsustainable.

I dont think they will ever care, as long as they are getting paid its not their concern what financial problems football has. Can you see any player offering to lower his wages to easy the debt problem?

But did he make the same huge wage demand from City? If he did, then I'd say he just got the best deal for his player.

In the game as it is now he would ask of Arsenal twice what he asks of City, only because he doesn't like Wenger, which is personal.

He made it impossible for Nasri to stay at Arsenal, and he had openly enjoyed the fact that Arsenal are in such a bad position. It's very personal.

As with all things agent related in the game, the scale needs to looked at. But it certainly happens in football

If a player knows his agent's personal feelings will make negotiations difficult with his club, then he must want to leave the club, or he is lacking somewhat upstairs.

I wonder when footballers will realise that the amount of money taken out of the game by agents playing both sides is unsustainable.

Hear Hear :thup:

He made it impossible for Nasri to stay at Arsenal, and he had openly enjoyed the fact that Arsenal are in such a bad position. It's very personal.

As with all things agent related in the game, the scale needs to looked at. But it certainly happens in football

Did he ask Arsenal for more money than the other clubs or not? That is the whole point here. He can gloat that Arsenal can no longer afford Nasri all he wants.

The thing that annoys me is when they want £80kpw from your club. When you can only offer £70kpw, then they go to another club for £30kpw. That is really frustrating, especially when the player is only on £10kpw to start with.

I have had players refuse to sign because I couldn't afford the agent fee. Everything else was accepted. Would the player not just go "Jog on son, sign the deal or I will fire you!".

Better yet, I have had a player that is very interested to sign for my club, only for the agent to refuse to even speak to me. I had never dealt with that agent before.

Its ridiculous. I had a player I wanted to resign. However he wanted 10k more than I could afford.

I had to withdraw from talks because I had no option, every time I tried to open talks again to see if he would lower his demands, the agent upped the wage asked eventually wanting £150k because he hated me because I wasnt allowed to offer what he wanted.

We really need an option to speak to players to tell then about the stupid agent demands, then the player can have a choice of negotiating himself/sacking agent/sticking with the demands.

The thing that annoys me is when they want £80kpw from your club. When you can only offer £70kpw, then they go to another club for £30kpw. That is really frustrating, especially when the player is only on £10kpw to start with.

I have had players refuse to sign because I couldn't afford the agent fee. Everything else was accepted. Would the player not just go "Jog on son, sign the deal or I will fire you!".

Better yet, I have had a player that is very interested to sign for my club, only for the agent to refuse to even speak to me. I had never dealt with that agent before.

It's not just agents though as it happens with staff too. I've never had so many poached before and they just keep trying every year.

Had one say he wouldn't sign for such risible wages then went elsewhere for the same amount! I checked the contract and it was identical.

It's not just agents though as it happens with staff too. I've never had so many poached before and they just keep trying every year.

Had one say he wouldn't sign for such risible wages then went elsewhere for the same amount! I checked the contract and it was identical.

That happens in every single edition and is a form of ai cheating. Its even worse when they wont sign for your PL team but go to a lower division as well.

Being an agent is being in buisness, there is no way the player is their only concern, lining their own pockets will be a HUGE concern for agents, there is little reason to get into that buisness unless you want to make money from the player.

Also as stated its quite well know that Nasri's agent and Wenger do not like each other and it made the contract negotiations impossible.

Impossible? The same agent got Nasri to Arsenal!

As for Nasri to Manchester United, Arsenal never accepted a bid from Manchester United - that's why negotiations broke down. Understandably so, since Nasri moved to Manchester City for a greater fee.

Either way, Nasri himself wanted out - he messed around with Marseille, remember? He doesn't care about the club he's with.

Nasri's agent is an exception to the rule. Nasri is a rich footballer and his agent is rich too. However, most agents are not. It's just game theory. Ask for too much and the player can hire a different agent who is less likely to mess up deals thanks to a lower cut. It then boils down to agents acting in their own interest to offer the market rate for their ability as the safest mechanism to make money. Agents who ask for too much should be fired quite quickly, except for the odd exception.

Tripling a fee, however, is overkill and then some. Tripling a fee makes it way less likely to work a deal, meaning the agent is more likely to end up with nothing. It doesn't make sense for an agent to triple his fee due to personal dislike. There is only so far you can push a club.

It doesn't change anything, but I'll repeat that I meant not the fee, but the player's wage. It ranged from €80000 per month to €250000 per month, depending on the agent's opinion of me. In all tries my relation with the player was constant - positive.

FMs becoming more like The Sims every year.

Its probably based on your star signs wether they like you or not. Other than that its completly random.

I wonder how long it is before we have to feed and take our manager to the toilet..

its not random at all, you have a good relationship with an agent if you have succesful dealings with him, if you have bad dealings with him and pull out of contract talks wtih him he will develop a disliking to you. Every new agent you deal with starts off with the two of you having a neutral relationship with each other, it either goes up or down from the first negotiation.

it is always the case, no agent in the game dislikes you unless you have already had a dealing with him, there is little chance you will remember every agent you have delt with and players change agents so you might not be able to track back where it went wrong. An agent is like a player in the game, they have a neutral relationship with you until there is interaction between you, either through being his manager, or something said in the press.

it is always the case, no agent in the game dislikes you unless you have already had a dealing with him, there is little chance you will remember every agent you have delt with and players change agents so you might not be able to track back where it went wrong. An agent is like a player in the game, they have a neutral relationship with you until there is interaction between you, either through being his manager, or something said in the press.

I'm not sure that's true milner, if a manager I've never heard of can have a "fairly poor opinion of" me then I see no reason why an agent I've also never heard of can't also have the same opinion...

Most of the agents I've had to deal with have been so-so... ok, one or two have been PITA's but generally speaking I think the game has it about right :)

Their jobs are to make money or do whats best for the player. Unless you ran over his dog, or spat in his face (and even then he would probably grin and bare it) I can't ever see how hes ever going to grow this hatred for you that can be built up with next to no contact between him. Even if he does hate you for whatever reason, your paying his wages and just like someone who hates his boss, you still have to pretend to laugh at his jokes. For a few 100 grand I'd be willing to forget any differences we may of had.

Its just another 'fun' feature to try to add realism but ends up detracting from it.

SI need to go back to basics and just release a game that works for 1 year. Forget trying to rush 800 (mainly broken and pointless) new features every 12 month.

There's a 'Reduce wage demands' option in the player chats. :)

I think that only works if your club is in financial difficulty.

I've never once seen the option available to choose, but I always keep my clubs in healthy financial shape. It's a tad frustrating when you've managed a smaller club to success, because the financial model never really improves. Would be nice to have the "reduce wage demands" option available occasionally, to suit such circumstances.

This to me is the most annoying thing in the game. It's not just the agents fee, just the way a player will accept a stupidly low wage somewhere else.

In my current save I was Barca manager for a little while a 32yo Messi was coming to the end of his contract and was wanting 300k a week! I could afford the Agents fee of about 12m! but was 50k a week short on the wage. He just wouldnt sign, so he ended up being released. He signed for Boca Juniors a week later on 18k a week, 18k! I cant tell you how annoyed I was.

It's not just in this iteration of the game, it's been like this since the CM3 days.

Archived