Best teams you have seen in the Championship?

Taking over Sheffield United in October 2013, I found Aston Villa sitting comfortably at the top of the Championship, after being relegated the previous season on goal difference.

They walked the Championship, which was no surprise considering they still had the likes of Ashley Young, Agbonlahor, Downing, Delph and Charlie Adam, who they signed the season before.

So what are the strongest teams you have seen in the Championship, or even lower for that matter?

Saw Liverpool get relegated one year when they were in the Champions league. Didn't check how far they got though.

Villa just went down in my game, and Wigan are about to return to League 2 with Charlton!

Barnet up to the Championship. Salisbury, Newport County, and AFC dons looking good in League 1.

I'm only in 2021!

Man United. They managed to go into administration, sold all their players, brought in loads of cheap and free signings, but couldn't quite stay up due to the 9 point deduction.

Fire sale!! Sounds impressive. What year was this?

The closest things I had were:

- Liverpool getting relegated from the Premier League and NOT getting promoted in their first attempt (CM 03/04)

- Espanyol getting relegated twice in a row, from La Liga to Segunda División B. And this happened in the first season! (CM 03/04)

- Liverpool (Again) narrowly avoiding relegation in my third season (FM10)

- Arsenal being placed near the bottom of the table halfway through my fourth season. They somehow got a phenomenal second round and ended up in the second place (FM10)

Newcastle have been a League One team for five or more seasons, Wigan have just joined them (2024/25). Blackpool are fighting relegation from the Blue Square Premier at the moment.

Chelsea narrowly avoided relegation last season, stayed up on the final day, sending Fulham down instead.

Yeah Newcastle are in real struggle town in my save, I think they may even be as low as League 2 (just started 2017 or 2018 season) now thanks to their major financial issues, and parts of the ground keep getting closed because they can't afford the maintenance. I tempted to take over and try to revive their fortunes...

To be fair I think I've seen most of the Premiership teams go down there at some point in time over my holiday saves. I can't remember any off hand but I think West Ham were battling Spurs and Harrogate for promotion from League One, while Chelsea and Blackburn were in the BSP. This was on FM10, and Blackpool lost their league status too in around 2100 never to regain it.

Taking over Sheffield United in October 2013, I found Aston Villa sitting comfortably at the top of the Championship, after being relegated the previous season on goal difference.

They walked the Championship, which was no surprise considering they still had the likes of Ashley Young, Agbonlahor, Downing, Delph and Charlie Adam, who they signed the season before.

Aston Villa were relegated in the first season on my network. They kept all of their players on it too.

Archived