Team Blending

Ok first I'll explain my situation and why this has come about.

I took over TSV 1860 Munich when they were situated 17th in the German Second Division and they made a loss of £9m for the year taking the bank balance into negative territory. There were a number of players on huge wages (£21,000 p/w which is far too much).

I safely guided them through the final 10 games of the season and we finished a respectable 8th many points away from the relegation zone but something radical needed to be done as we were making big losses.

I therefore had a huge cleanout of players and brought in 10 players on lower wages, though some of them I felt were of great quality. The problem with this is the fact that they are from different parts of the globe and theerfore we have a communication problem as well as a team blend problem.

My question is really how long will it take for them to start working as a unit or am I going to be stuck with this language barrier for a long time?. I would imagine the team will develop an understanding over time but will the communication issue break the chances of my team?

Usually takes about a year for players to learn the language I think. Basically don't expect any fireworks this season, next season they should have a good understanding.

It depends on the players adaptability and the difficulty of the language.

I also believe it helps to have players at your club that can speak extra languages beside the main used language, so that they can teach the main language to the new players. F.i. if you have a new player at your club that only speaks Russian, it helps to have a player that speaks German and Russian.

It may even help to sign some very cheap players just for that purpose.

Archived