Cannot renew contract due to work permit

Hi All,

I have a 20 year-old Brazilian midfielder called Rafinha, who is highly talented and wanted by many major clubs. I signed him 3 years ago from Santos and his contract is due to run out in June 2020 (I am currently in July 2019). I have tried at various points in the game to renew his contract, but on each occasion, I have been denied a work permit. Why is this? After all, I was granted one when I signed him when he was just 17, and he has played regularly for me since then.

Is it likely that I will continue to be denied one, or could this change? If it were you, would you keep hold of him in the hope his contract could be renewed soon, or sell him now while his value is still high?

He doesn't play in national team? Work permit can be given if player does play in 75% national team's matches played within a year. Or sometimes if player is really a gem. If I were you I would try to sign a new contract until start of October, and then if failed I'd sell him for as much as possible.

Hi All,

I have a 20 year-old Brazilian midfielder called Rafinha, who is highly talented and wanted by many major clubs. I signed him 3 years ago from Santos and his contract is due to run out in June 2020 (I am currently in July 2019). I have tried at various points in the game to renew his contract, but on each occasion, I have been denied a work permit. Why is this? After all, I was granted one when I signed him when he was just 17, and he has played regularly for me since then.

Is it likely that I will continue to be denied one, or could this change? If it were you, would you keep hold of him in the hope his contract could be renewed soon, or sell him now while his value is still high?

As INV said, the player has to have played in 75% of his nations matches in the previous 12 months or be an exceptional talent.

I would assume that he met the criteria of "exceptional talent" when he was 17, however is too old/not outstanding enough to qualify as an "exceptional talent" and as he hasn't played 75% of his nations matches in the previous year he doesn't qualify under that restriction either.

Dont know if it will work but try getting a feeder club under the work permit option and see if it then allows you to

This is prob your best bet. If you have a work permit feeder club than you can renew his contract altough he won't get a work permit. But you can then loan him out to the feeder club, or in case of a Brazilian player try to loan him to Spanish clubs for 2 years, untill he gets an EU-nationality. Or just keep him in your reserves for enough years to become a Brit (if you're in England).

Archived