More goals in FM than in real life?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but here goes...is it just me or are there way more goals in fm11 matches than in real life? I'm too lazy to go digging up all the stats and comparisons but it seems like there's a lot more 4/5/6 goal matches than in real life...and the end of season goals scored/goals conceded seems much too high in relation to matches played.

Forgive me if this is already a known fact but I'm really wondering if anyone else has noticed this...

I'm in a 11 seasons save right now. I'm playing with Benfica, portuguese league with 16 teams, so 30 matches per season.

I had season where i score 80 goals in the league, and seasons where i score 120 goals in the league. if the 80 goals/season is pretty normal, the 120 goals/season it's way above the normal.

I really can find any explanation for the goals difference, because i always play with the same tactic. Just happens! It's football! :)

That's because strikers don't lose form as often in the game as in real life. For example, in game Fernando Torres is a beast who scores 30+ goals every season until he's too old to run.

This is very true. Not to mention that, when you get to the "all newgens years", you can easily find a striker who scores 40/50 goals/season.

That's because strikers don't lose form as often in the game as in real life. For example, in game Fernando Torres is a beast who scores 30+ goals every season until he's too old to run.

Strikers can easily have a bad run - I had a worldclass guy who scored 12 goals in his first 10 games for the club go 6 months without a goal after that.

This is very true. Not to mention that, when you get to the "all newgens years", you can easily find a striker who scores 40/50 goals/season.

Easily? I've not had anyone top 35 in nearly 30 seasons on FM11.

Ugh, this is so annoying. On my games i always seem to end up with a wealth of top strikers, my main one on my QPR save scored 70 premier league goals a season back, and over 100 in all comps. Thats just not realistic :(

I would say there are less goals than in real life when it comes to player managed teams... Both ways, actually. Although my teams score far too little and my goalkeepers always play like they would be especially bad sunday league players, the opposing teams don't score that much, just enough to spoil my saves. ;) So, I think usually on homegames my teams score 1.5 goals per match and opponents 0.5, when away it's usually about 1.25 versus 1.25.

Yes there is, theres also way more chances that IRL, I think SI do this to make the games more "exciting". However it works the exact opposite way where you see CCC after CCC missed and dont even get excited when theres a 1 on 1 in a cup final.

Id rather there were much less great chances but a much better chance of scoring them.

Yes there is, theres also way more chances that IRL, I think SI do this to make the games more "exciting". However it works the exact opposite way where you see CCC after CCC missed and dont even get excited when theres a 1 on 1 in a cup final.

Id rather there were much less great chances but a much better chance of scoring them.

It doesn't seem like SI believe a last-ditch tackle or a desperate interception is good dramaturgy...

The way it is now, missing a goal-scoring chance vs scoring is a matter of what your player does - what the opposing team and players do seems to be of no consequence. What happens when you defend well is that there is no highlight of the opposing team creating anything at all. As a result, human managers are enticed to find holes in the ME by maximizing the amount of highlights you create and minimizing the amount of highlights of you being under attack (something which is "fixed" by having them blast the ball into the net from 30 meters, scoring on total flukes, or free-kicks/corners out of nowhere). The highlights where your players are one-on-one with the keeper are by far preferable over crosses or other types of chances, since they are the biggest chances you get. This hole is painted over by having those chances relegated to mostly a waste of time.

SI have commented on this before. They work very hard to make sure the number of goals reflects almost exactly the real life situation in each league. It only really goes awry with leagues added by the editor; thus if you play in a L8 English league you might find fewer goals than is realistic. This all holds true for AI managers (although personally I do think there are far too few bog scores (eg 6-2, 7-0) in cup rounds). When you manage a team your tactics will alter the balance, so you might find that games you are involved in have more or fewer goals than would be deemed normal if you were not managing.

It doesn't seem like SI believe a last-ditch tackle or a desperate interception is good dramaturgy...

The way it is now, missing a goal-scoring chance vs scoring is a matter of what your player does - what the opposing team and players do seems to be of no consequence. What happens when you defend well is that there is no highlight of the opposing team creating anything at all. As a result, human managers are enticed to find holes in the ME by maximizing the amount of highlights you create and minimizing the amount of highlights of you being under attack (something which is "fixed" by having them blast the ball into the net from 30 meters, scoring on total flukes, or free-kicks/corners out of nowhere). The highlights where your players are one-on-one with the keeper are by far preferable over crosses or other types of chances, since they are the biggest chances you get. This hole is painted over by having those chances relegated to mostly a waste of time.

Watching full match in FM10 I see plenty of goal scoring chances stopped by the defending team. I hope what you are referring to is down to watching highlights rather than changes made by SI in FM11.

FM has always produced more scoring opportunities than real life, though actual goals scored are close to the true figure.

Which explains an awful lot in my humble opinion.:)

Yup, I was watching a game this week and the commentator mentioned a striker having six shots in the match as if that was loads. I'd be disappointed in FM if my striker had fewer shots than that.

Strikers can easily have a bad run - I had a worldclass guy who scored 12 goals in his first 10 games for the club go 6 months without a goal after that.

Easily? I've not had anyone top 35 in nearly 30 seasons on FM11.

I had a random Argentinian (Alustiza) I signed while in the Championship bang in 38 goals and 41 in all competitions. It happens. I also won a game 8-3 and 7-4 in that same season. I think it had something to do with the tactics I was playing considering I had drawn 21 games the season before (never drew that many before or since, god knows how it happened) due to conceeding many late goals.

Ronaldo and Messi disagree too. :D

Also Sharp-Lambert scored 30+ goals in one season.

How many does Le Fondre usually score in a season or how many did Ruud score for Utd in a season?

I think if SI did stop players being able to score more than 25 goals in one season, I'd be very frustrated.

Yeah, not many players do score that amount or more, but some players can and do. Like real life, nothing is impossible.

I don't think its as much an issue of too many goals but too many shots, my Man Utd team regualrly has more than 30 shots a game (in year 2022) against the top 5 or 6 EPL teams, yet in Man Utd's 8-2 win over Arsenal today Man Utd only took 25 shots...

In my opinion this also creates an environment where lots of people complain how about strikers miss seemingly very easy chances very regularly.

I don't think its as much an issue of too many goals but too many shots, my Man Utd team regualrly has more than 30 shots a game (in year 2022) against the top 5 or 6 EPL teams, yet in Man Utd's 8-2 win over Arsenal today Man Utd only took 25 shots...

In my opinion this also creates an environment where lots of people complain how about strikers miss seemingly very easy chances very regularly.

Probably because AI opponent coaches in FM are very poor.

This is probably the true answer, could you look at a match and write down where these shots came from.

That would be very useful!

• 1 month later...

Archived