Odd Transfer decisions

Having a look around the World on my save I've seen some odd movements over the years. I can't really say that they're unrealistic, just odd. One of the most recent was the transfer of one Szabolcs Racz from Gyor to Debrecen for £12.75 mil. He's a 26 year old striker who's scored 73 in his 171 appearances in the Hungarian first division. Hardly the greatest player ever, but he seems to have caught the eye of the Debrecen backroom staff. His 25 goals in 46 appearances for Gyor in the last two seasons is probably what got them interested, although his 25 goals for Hungary in 32 appearances may have gotten their attention as well.

So, why is this odd to me? Because he started his career at Debrecen and left for Atlanta at 20 for £575k before going to Gyor for £975k. This has happened in real life and in more extreme cases, but the question is more around why they sold him. At 17 he went on loan to MTK and kept them in the division with 10 goals in 23 appearances. He would the following season keep Kaposvar in the division in a similar manner, although he only scored 7 in 28, still a decent effort from the 18 year old. That season within him MTK went down and the following season Kaposvar required a playoff to remain in the division. The kid was good, and yet they left him to rot in the reserves the next year. Actually, he barely made their reserves and eventually Supka (who is the manage who splashed the cash on him now) let him leave for that £575k. In his defence the league was much weaker back then, but still... Debrecen at the time were hardly swimming in strikers and more importantly he was the best Hungarian player in his age group. Bit of a waste by Debrecen though considering that price and the fact that they have other better strikers.

Anyone seen any really odd moves back and forth by players, Defoe-esk in fact?

You could make a thread like this entirely devoted to the Man City AI to be honest :p I did something like this once on an old FM, but can't remember the teams involved or the player, so the anecdote falls flat on its face. Was a massive profit though, I remember than much!

You could make a thread like this entirely devoted to the Man City AI to be honest :p I did something like this once on an old FM, but can't remember the teams involved or the player, so the anecdote falls flat on its face. Was a massive profit though, I remember than much!

They don't half sign some odd players just to stick them in the reserves. Their reserve squad is worth more than half the Premier League squads.

They don't half sign some odd players just to stick them in the reserves. Their reserve squad is worth more than half the Premier League squads.

How true is this. My current game is a couple years in and they have some leading transfers in the world for the likes of Eljero Elia who they bought for £18m only to sell a year on and 11 appearances later to Liverpool for £6m.

Other players they have bought and are now sat in their reserves include Bakary Sako, Simon Kjaer and Jucilei who they bought for a total of £48m.

Well done Man City.

man city are nearly as bad in real life to be fair

I'm inclined to disagree. The only players that Man City want rid of or have already got rid of are those that were there before Roberto Mancini arrived. Yes there was Jerome Boateng but that was more of a case of him just not settling in England.

Going through my saves...

Junior Hoillet moved to Palermo from Blackburn for £6M a year later with five appearences he moves on to Shakhtar for £18M.

Sunderland lost £8M on Gervinho they loaned him out as soon as they signed him for £16M, got relegated that season and sold to Blackburn for £8M.

Half a year after Rennes sign Biglia for £16M he is still yet to make his debut.

Newcastle sign Eden Hazard for £14M after a good season sold him to Everton for £6M. Played 36 League games with average rating of 7.41.

Chinedu Obasi, Hoffenheim to man City £20M for 1 appearance a year

A few players have spent a couple of years at Man City before being sold on for a million less. Isnt too bad I suppose.

Talking about the odd transfers, not really odd move back and forth by player, but...

MilanBarosHistory_CareerStats.png

nearly 17mln, and didnt give him a game :lol:

Thats quite believable - think abour Mr's. Santa Cruz, Bridge, Bellamy & Adebayor IRL at the same club - around £64 million in transfer fees and if the media is believed at a monthly cost of over £1M per month in wages and with exception of Adebayor at Spurs the other 3 will just rot away training with the reserves and then playing some golf on Saturdays.

I've been a bit stupid.

I signed a player called Jordan Elfverson from Dundee something for Sampdoria for 10m after he hit 2 seasons worth of 30+goals for them. It was my entire budget and I focused my team around him. He scored 10 goals in a poor team and basically kept us up. (i'd just taken over)

Then my chairman accepted a 15m bid from West Ham. I was outraged. Favoured personnel and all that. I spent 2m on a replacement but I vowed I would re-sign him if I got some money.

I got some more money. I sold a promising youth player for silly money and bought Elfverson back for a really dumb 10m up front and 12m over 48 months (22m - eek!)

The returning hero!!!

Flopped like an old pancake. He played up front decently enough but was Heskey-esque as he scored 7 goals. We qualified for the Europa League by winning the cup so that was ok.

I was cross, so I sold him. Barcelona bought him for 10m and he stayed there for 2 years, scoring 10 and 11.

I then figured Jordan Elfverson out. He wasn't a top scorer, but he worked really hard for those around him.

So I bought him back for 12m, even though i was still paying off the last one. Why? I changed from 1 up front to 3 up front. I stuck him on the right hand side and he currently has 13 in 25. After all this time he is finally a good player for me!

This is still really stupid though. I'm struggling to think if this would happen IRL

Just sold one of my best player's (chairman's choice) to Man City for £36.5M, that isn't the odd part as he is one of the world's best players at 21 so that's a bargain for City, the odd part is he left my side, who at that time were 13 pts clear at the top, now 17 pts clear, and also still in Champions League, to join City who were 9th, about 20 pts behind me, not in any continental comp., knocked out of league cup and in a 3rd round F.A. cup replay with non league Hereford, so not exactly the most exciting prospect for a club (who have never finished top 4 on my league in 6th season). Odd what money can do, surely you would wait 'til the summer so you can have a shot at the treble?

Archived