Have you ever signed a player off your biggest rivals?

I am managing Zamalek in Egypt and have loads of cash and a reputation that is slightly better than Al-Ahly my biggest rivals. I was wondering has anyone signed a player from their biggest rival, I mean like a Barcelona to Real Madrid, Liverpool to Man United or AC Milan to Inter?

I'm always surprised when you get the message that your fans don't want a rival player to sign for you; in normal circumstances (assuming he's not really specifically hated) i'd have thought that most fans would view it as a great coup for their club, making their rivals seem inferior in comparison. Madrid fans loved Luis Figo, Milan fans loved Pirlo, Seedorf and of course Zlatan. I love trying to sign rival clubs best, unfortunately in FM it often seems near impossible, especially in Italy where every club it seems is listed as a hated rival! Maybe S.I don't realise that clubs can be rivals on the pitch, but have good relations at board level where transfers are made?

I'm always surprised when you get the message that your fans don't want a rival player to sign for you; in normal circumstances (assuming he's not really specifically hated) i'd have thought that most fans would view it as a great coup for their club, making their rivals seem inferior in comparison. Madrid fans loved Luis Figo, Milan fans loved Pirlo, Seedorf and of course Zlatan. I love trying to sign rival clubs best, unfortunately in FM it often seems near impossible, especially in Italy where every club it seems is listed as a hated rival! Maybe S.I don't realise that clubs can be rivals on the pitch, but have good relations at board level where transfers are made?

It's clear that old FM are more realistic than FM 2011 about this point.

On old games with my beloved Sheff U I would always invest £1,000,000 in Tommy Spurr from Wednesday.

I don't really see the main problem with signing rival players, to me it seems like a win-win scenario.

1 - You gain a good player

2 - Your rival loses a good player

I won't sign a player from Leeds if I'm managing Huddersfield... it's a pity Steve Bruce didn't have the same ideals... Clyde Winjard or whatever the chuff his name was... Ipswich got Marcus Stewart and Premier League footy, we got Clyde Winjard, relegated AND bankrupted!!

I hate Leeds with a PASSION but Steve Bruce? I'd kill him with my bare hands the ........:mad:

Well I once tried to sign Fabregas with Manchester United. They didn't except any bid for less then 173 mio. € and once I got to contract negotiations Fabregas wasn't interested in joining us. ^^

So no I never managed to get a player from either Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea their best players are either not interested or will cost insane amounts of money.

^ that's clearly not how it should be imo. You should be able to sign rival players; it may be controversial in some cases, but it should be possible. As i said earlier, Pirlo for example has now played for Inter, Milan and Juve, so has Ibrahimovic. There are lots of players who have moved between so called ''rival'' clubs.

I thought Arsenal fans were delighted when Sol Campbell signed? He was a brilliant signing imo.

We were and he was. Those were the days when Wenger had some gumption when it came to signing players:D

I still won't do it on FM though haha

Archived