Destined for midtable mediocrity

OK... I'm a long term fan for FM and previously CM. I started on what I think was CM97/98 and have been hooked since. When I started on CM97/98 despite being a Tottenham fan, I was young and easily misled, and I was also lured in by the bright lights of managing Man Utd! I know I know, shallow! But I was young... forgive me! As Man Utd manager back then I won countless titles and championships... made my way to England Manager etc.

However, as now a more mature 29 yr old I dont go down the glory hunting route and I try to start low(ish)... for example Rotherham (current save). Now comes my problem! I read all these posts of people achieving all kind of things with minnows and taking their team to the top etc... but I only manage to get so far. Oh I can gain promotion and maybe even the Premiership... but to say I can win much... no! I think I achieved the JPT a couple of seasons back. Is this just me? AM I destined to be the Sam Allardyce of FM... dear god I hope not!!! Anyone else find this are is everyone else a genius at this game... and just me who languishes somewhere beneath recognition in the game.

Oh btw... not a dig at the game... I love it, and after 15 yrs I love it even more :-)

I think there are a lot of people out there like yourself, but they don't come here and tell everybody because they are ashamed. Kudos to you for admitting to being mediocre! :D

Seriously though, getting Rotherham to the Premiership is very good, you should be pleased. How many managers in real life have done that?

Well I didn't quite manage to make it the Prem with Rotherham... and as the board showed a distinct lake of funds and aspirations I have jumped ship to Cardiff... however I have just realised that I've raided 4 players from my old club Rotherham... what does that say??? But I suppose Championship for 2 seasons is an achievement in itself? It's just not quite CL final is it???

the longer you play the better you become. You will achieve a success eventually, to some people it takes 10 seasons, to other 40. Just be dedicated, learn from your mistakes and there is no way not to progress. That's how that game is built.

Well, like i first posted I've been playing for a good 14 ish years... I think it's because I started with an 'easy' team back in my youth and got used to winning stuff. But starting with a big club now really holds no interest for me. I've tried Man City thinking it would be good to have all that money etc and oooh the players I could buy... but it doesn't hold my attention past the preseason. Maybe I am just designed to be a relatively successful Championship manager. Although saying that on FM10 I achieved Notts Forest in the CL! I think that was my height!!!

I'm stuck in the Championship in my career game at the moment, think it's just going to take a few seasons to rebuild the team that got me there. Think it's quite easy to get disolusioned when you're not racing up the leagues.

I agree... midtable can be a little dull tbh

I agree also... but when you read on here of all the achievements others have made... no one writes much about the time they finished 4 points above the drop zone... maybe there should be a separate thread just for mediocrity achievements!

I agree also... but when you read on here of all the achievements others have made... no one writes much about the time they finished 4 points above the drop zone... maybe there should be a separate thread just for mediocrity achievements!

Think you're on to something there mike, winning tastes so much better after a serving of mediocrity!

haha dont feel bad really, i spent(d) 39 seasons stright at derby county in my save...yet to win the league title or be stable..its my home team and every weekend i have been doing a season since game was out, and mate, talk about medicore i have been relegated 13 times lol, i have 2 rules, only allowed to buy english under21 players and over 30 european players on 1 year contracts, been up and down like a yoyo, used my own 4-4-2 tactic, and have yet to win anything or achive anything other then a sole league cup final apparence (where i got whiped 5.0 by blackburn rovers lol) and even tho its not been winning, i've had some happy weekends just because my team avoided relegation, the game is pretty tough if you don't use any outside informaton/programs to scout players. (funny thing is i have been offered the england job once or twice :lol:)

edit : Altho winning the championship and playoffs (several times) is a achievement worthy of the england job :lol:

Success in FM is enjoying yourself, if you have achieved that you have achieved all the game can offer :)

Seriously tho, i would suggest a lot of people who are successful at this game have become so because they have studied the game, myself included, i have spent countless hours reading tactical discussions and advice on various forums and sites, mostly here mind, and it never stops helping.

I took Crewe to Premier League, going straight up, on FM11.2 before 11.3 destroyed my tactic. They had reached their maximum stadium capacity of 17000 (I think) by that time, and I had just gotten into the Europa League.

The thing is that your club's reputation needs to go up before the Board agrees to anything. Not the other way around. They are not willing to invest in order to lay the foundations of a more sucessful club. This means that you'll always need to sign players who can take you above your current standing, and you can normally only do that by signing players who are transfer listed, or 3,5+ star potential youngsters.

I don't think the club's reputation increases by finishing one step higher in the league, until that one step brought you into European competition. Second places are also not very helpful in that respect. Once you have an important trophy and compete in Europe, you will have access to higher reputation players. You will also make more money, and once the club's finances is labeled "rich" (£30m+), you fill the stadium every home match, and the stadium's age is 20+ years, you can ask the board to build a new stadium.

Through keeping wages down, trading players at a profit and building a team of Determined, Professional, Ambitious players, you will do a better job than any AI manager, and therefore it is only a matter of time before you become a dominating force in football.

Going to try something different tonight. Usually load Ireland, England, Germany, Italy, Spain and another random country. By the time I get to season 3 I get very bored, basically because this takes faaar too long. Could be weeks and months before I get to that stage. Im going to try manage City with just the League of Ireland open and try see how long I can get. But yes, mid table mediocrity has a much better feeling with a rubbish team than winning La Liga year after year with Real or Barca!

I'm in the same boat as you my friend, only that I'm much worse than just mediocre!

The only titles I have ever won were the Premiership and FA Cup double with Arsenal in 2000/01, and the Copa America with Brazil on the same game. Apart from that, the best I've ever done was taking Real Valladolid from the relegation places to 5th in the Spanish Second Division on FM07, 2nd in the Prem with Leeds, again on 2000/01, 3rd in the SPL with Aberdeen on FM10, and a playoff final loss in the Blue Square North with Buxton on the same game.

I've never been promoted, been sacked numerous times, and in the only career where I've managed not to be sacked for 4 years, the results got worse progressively season by season. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. The results never really seem to change whether I put in 100% effort or 75.

I am useless. Evidenced by managing to get Gillingham relegated from League 1 after only managing them for half a season. When I took over they were quite a way above the drop zone.

Success in FM is enjoying yourself, if you have achieved that you have achieved all the game can offer :)

Seriously tho, i would suggest a lot of people who are successful at this game have become so because they have studied the game, myself included, i have spent countless hours reading tactical discussions and advice on various forums and sites, mostly here mind, and it never stops helping.

WOW!!! I was stunned by your wiseness!!! MAybe I am achieveing then.... I might try that with my board.

"Yes Mr Chairman we have just staved off relegation, yes we have had to sell our best player who can't bear another season of this. But Mr Chairman I'll tell you something... I'm enjoying it! New contract and a stadium extension please!"

Did not mean this to sound b*tchy at Milner by the way

How many of these managers who win all the titles and CL's with Chester United are using FMRTE and Genie Scout, any donkey can make a Prem team when they can see all the best PA players in the database and they are hardly gonna admit it on here are they?

Then they prob use some downloaded super tactic with corner banging (eg set DC to near post and corners to near post)

And prob for good measure reload evy save file so they can replay games they lose (esp finals and key games i guess)

Haha on here so called wonder managers are on auto pilot :p

Oh I hope it doesm't turn into a slagging session on other players... that was not my intention... but I'm liking the people I'm finding who are the same as me.

Welcome to CLUB MEDIOCRE!!!

Admission is free but leave your dignity and ambition at the door!

Well tbh my post was not intended to flame anyone else for using such tools, just to merely point out that on an internet forum u cant take everything at face value, truthfully i think anyone should play the game how they enjoy it best and using whatever software they wish, they arent cheating anyone since it is a single player game, but when people brag about achievments dont be fooled into thinking they are all super managers and u arent. Having said that there is obv a difference in ability between people who play the game much like any other game or sport etc, some people are better than others whether by practice/dedication or genetics.

Best I did was win the FA Cup and finish 10th in the Prem, but it was sheer luck I ever made it into the Premier League in the first place. Personally, I find the jump from League One to Championship is very tough, and it usually takes me a while to get out. Only took me three seasons on that game, but on my current game with the same team, I'm flirting with relegation come Christmas. Signed a gem of a striker, but the rest of the team is so bad he doesn't get too many chances :p

Don't pay attention to the others, a lot of FM managers just take a lot of young talents with huge PA and play. Be proud of your future seasons. I prefer do a difficult season than win a Champions League too easily :)

Don't pay attention to the others, a lot of FM managers just take a lot of young talents with huge PA and play. Be proud of your future seasons. I prefer do a difficult season than win a Champions League too easily :)

I think that's the key, to enjoy it, although that's not always easy with this game, especially when you're struggling (again).

I'm not going to lie, I'm a pretty mediocore manager in truth :D

Having took Hayes & Yeading United to League Two in the first season, and then up into League One for the 5th season, things aren't going as quick as your 'superb tactician manager'. Some of my signings have been awful, I've been forced into many tactic changes while the clubs finances plunge into 'insecure' the pitch looks like a farm, and the wage budget something you would see in the Conference. The first season in League One we stayed up on the final day despite losing 2-0- We were very lucky that day. The 2nd season in League One I had a mini-clearout and thought my squad was quite decent, but 4 losses from 4 in August kind of sorted that out. We stayed up with 4 games spare, and took the Johnstone Paint Trophy for the 2nd time. This season we have made a flying start and are 1st after 10 matches...

The problem is with me, which makes me so mediocore, are my transfers. I've had lots of chats with other FM players, and they agree some of them have been shocking. I've felt many times I peaked with Hayes, but we're slowly ploughing on- For how long I don't know, because the budget is destroying me, big-time. I've not used FMTRE or Genie-Scout- Maybe thats added to my mediocorness, but it's just how I play the game.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a pretty mediocore manager in truth

Having took Hayes & Yeading United to League Two in the first season, and then up into League One for the 5th season, things aren't going as quick as your 'superb tactician manager'. Some of my signings have been awful, I've been forced into many tactic changes while the clubs finances plunge into 'insecure' the pitch looks like a farm, and the wage budget something you would see in the Conference. The first season in League One we stayed up on the final day despite losing 2-0- We were very lucky that day. The 2nd season in League One I had a mini-clearout and thought my squad was quite decent, but 4 losses from 4 in August kind of sorted that out. We stayed up with 4 games spare, and took the Johnstone Paint Trophy for the 2nd time. This season we have made a flying start and are 1st after 10 matches...

The problem is with me, which makes me so mediocore, are my transfers. I've had lots of chats with other FM players, and they agree some of them have been shocking. I've felt many times I peaked with Hayes, but we're slowly ploughing on- For how long I don't know, because the budget is destroying me, big-time. I've not used FMTRE or Genie-Scout- Maybe thats added to my mediocorness, but it's just how I play the game.

Don't use Genie Scout - I don't know how that would make you a better FM player. FMRTE I use only when I feel that the game itself needs help in some way... that it has got something wrong and I need to fix it in order for that save to continue. Struggling with such a small club in League One isn't that kind of situation, and it isn't a "bug".

I think that in order to make a good signing, you would need to know:

A: what works in the ME in general

B: what would suit your tactic the best

The answer to A, in my opinion, is speed, Determination, Anticipation & Decisions, Work Rate & Team Work, Technique and Dribbling/Marking & Tackling + Professionality & Pressure handling.

The answer to B is, of course, entirely dependent on how you play and how you want your team to play. As an example, my wingers functions quite well regardless of what type of winger playing there, but they work best when they are acting as playmakers and therefore I prefer AMC-style wingers like Giovinco (left) and Gerrard (right). My strikers should be fast and creative, but slow and strong strikers works too, and so do extreme finishers like Huntelaar. I think that the reason so different types function in my tactic is that I avoid extreme player instructions (except the wingers run with ball often) so that they decide what action to take themselves. If you tell them to do something often, you are basically forcing them to play in a particular way and thus you will need players that can do just that very well. The key factor is quality, so if you sign players with a PA of 3.5 stars or higher (and CA of 1 star or higher) who have few weaknesses (especially mentally) you should normally not go wrong!

:::::::::::::::

Who would you have rather had of these two strikers?

anexample1.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

anexample1personal.png

------------

anexample2.png

anexample2personal.png

Loving that there are so many mediocre managers out there. My current save started with Newport County. 3 Years there got me an FA Trophy and a backdoor promotion through the play-offs in the second season. 3rd season finished 16th in league 2. In the fourth season I was offered the Birmingham City job (bottom of the prem) guided them to 17th and safety on the last day of the season. 5th and 6th season have included an F.A Cup final defeat to Liverpool, a 0-6 home drubbing against Man Utd and a 14th & 10th place finish. This is the favourite save I have ever had amd I've been playing since CM93 !

Archived