Lightbulb Moment Idea that may Change FM handheld?

Okay so I just got this brilliant Idea regarding FM Handheld, or perhaps a parallell product that could be developed (I would pay separately to be able to do this). One of the things I've wished for continuously is that I wish I could take my PC/Mac game with me, without having to haul my laptop, wishing I could play on my ipad or Iphone,the same game I was playing at home. Understandably the power lacking from portable devices makes it unable to handle the scope of gameplay you get from your home machine vs your idevice/psp.

But what if your handheld's power was irrelevant? I've proposed in the past the option of having server side information pulled down to your handheld device to simply make the databases more robust, wherein, you have 1 or 2 countries data stored locally, and the rest of the world, is stored on a server, which allows you to pull information from say armenia if you didnt have it loaded. But then that would lead to problems such as could the server withstand so many pulls from players around the world, what about world progression, etc etc.

However what if you had the option to setup your computer, your home game as a server? Leave it on before you leave the house, and continue playing it on your idevice. Whilst there are screen cast technologies today that allow this, you're basically streaming your computers screen to your device, which can be choppy and laggy, as you're sending image & video data. But what if it was just number data? Your computer at home does all the heavy lifting, and just sends back the relevant data. Player progression, databases, board discussions, agent's etc. You could play a full FM experience on your idevice. OF course the experience would be based on the speed of your internet connection, but most of the time I'm in a wifi zone, and my home machine is always on and connected.

Portable device side, it would have to be setup, so that there are the same sections as that on your machine at home, but, rather than doing any processing locally, its done on your computer, and the outcome sent to your idevice where its displayed. Need to negotiate a contract with an agent, your game at home will be playing it, but instead of sending you a screen, it sends you the data, and your i device just needs to focus on displaying it in its format.

Finally in an effort to aid in speed, recently or frequently viewed items can be cached locally (like your own team details) so that retrieval may be quick. Also the matches can be processed locally in the 2d engine, and results sent back to your home machine. In fact whilst your match is going on, it can send a signal to your home machine, match has started. In the meantime your home machine is simulating the rest of the leagues around the world that you have active. Once both are done, the machine's syncronise the results via the air, maintaining world syncronisity.

I hope I've made myself clear, what do you all think?

• SI Staff

To be quite honest while some people might be interested in playing in this manner I don't think it'd have mass market appeal* - nor do I think the FM PC gameplay style particularly suits handheld devices.

This is simply because the PC game tends to be a very in depth experience which requires a large time commitment to play whereas people on handheld devices often only have 15 minutes or so to 'blast' a game in on.

(and that isn't getting into the problematic aspects of fitting the PC UI onto a handheld device - not so 'bad' for a tablet, but incredibly challenging for smaller devices such as an iTouch)

*Partially because setting up a game on another machine and then connecting to a server is always going to be somewhat complex, if we hosted the servers ourselves then it'd be hugely increasing the lag times etc. involved - do bear in mind the problems with all UI elements requiring server interaction ... especially with handheld devices which might be using 3g which is a often metered (ie. paid by amount of data used) connection).

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
I agree with you Marc. What would be great though, is cloud syncing of data (game saves, tactics etc) between iPad/iPhone/iPod. I know that technically you can do it now by syncing manually through iTunes, but automatic instant cloud syncing would be so much more user-friendly. Hopefully (and IMO probably) Apple's upcoming iCloud service will make syncing of App data very easy for devs to implement, because then it will surely be a no-brainer for FMH 2012.

Cloud services are something I'm intruiged by HOWEVER that won't replace on-device storage imho ... but would complement it ideally (that way if you don't have internet access it won't matter, thinking of when I've been playing on the tube recently ;) ).

Archived