Can you be successful as an international minnow?

Question is in the title, was just wondering? Don't want to completely waste my time trying to do the impossible but really interesting in taking control of a say Luxembourg who I especially love after World Cup 2010 game ..(Fifa) and seeing if I can get them up the rankings etc...will the national pool ever improve over the seasons if national team improve as a group?

Or is it a pointless task ...?

Taking over Vaduz is the way to do it, they're a Lichtenstein team but they play in the Swiss League, meaning that they're playable. Manage for about 100 years so as to improve the youth facilities and reputation and there you go, Lichtenstein are World Cup winners 2100 or something. Not for me thanks. I assume you know to load all players from Lichtenstein too.

No it's not possible.

Even if you load the domestic league and all the players in the db, even if you manage there for aeons and somehow turn the league's reputation into something good, the static "Importance" value of the country won't change, thus affecting the overall quality of newgens.

All you could get are a couple of above-average players every once in a while, but there's no way you can turn the Faroes into a serious contender... You'd get an odd upset win every now and then, due to the overall quality of players decreasing over time [in my 2024 save San Marino have won FOUR games since 2013] or due to a "golden generation", but in the end it's always going to be a sysiphean task...

P.S. of course I'm talking about actual minnows, so let's not start with "oh it's a lie! I won Euro 20xx with Scotland/Switzerland/Romania" ;)

There are some very lowly African nations that you can do this with that do have their game importance set to "Very Important"(max).

FIFA Rank  Nation
133rd      Sierra Leone
132nd      DR Congo
118th      Zimbabwe
117th      The Congo
111th      Tanzania
108th      Libya
101st      Sudan

There are some very lowly African nations that you can do this with that do have their game importance set to "Very Important"(max).

FIFA Rank  Nation
133rd      Sierra Leone
132nd      DR Congo
118th      Zimbabwe
117th      The Congo
111th      Tanzania
108th      Libya
101st      Sudan

It'd be interesting finding out why such nations have been set as "Very Important"...

Hopefully newgens will be more dynamic in fm 2012. This made the whole DLR thing a bit of a let down for people like me who had fantasies about turing countries like Northern Ireland into footballing super powers.

The only way you can take a minnow forward is to make the league better and then get foriegn players to come and become elligable.

You could take over a lowly nation, then hope, pray, do a rain dance (whatever you fancy), that some dual nationality regens come through at higher reputation nations and clubs, plus that they're willing to consider playing for your nation instead of their "other" nation. ;)

You could take over a lowly nation, then hope, pray, do a rain dance (whatever you fancy), that some dual nationality regens come through at higher reputation nations and clubs, plus that they're willing to consider playing for your nation instead of their "other" nation. ;)

Could be a good shout there heath, my best defender (and one of the best in the world) is half English, half St Vincentian, but he decided to play for England :rolleyes:

Maybe with some convincing he could have played for St Vincent!

Hopefully newgens will be more dynamic in fm 2012. This made the whole DLR thing a bit of a let down for people like me who had fantasies about turing countries like Northern Ireland into footballing super powers.

The only way you can take a minnow forward is to make the league better and then get foriegn players to come and become elligable.

Not strictly, 20 odd years into my save and Scotland are now producing players to match the best in Europe, if you get the rep of the nation up the players it produces will get better, same as if a nation goes down the players it produces will be worse. Its a very very slow process tho, it took the best part of 15 years in my save before i saw any real change in the trend.

Unfortunately if they're half decent they always choose to play for the larger/better country. Unless they get to 24ish without a cap, but that usually means the other nationality already has better players than you! It's hard enough to convince people to play for Nigeria or Ivory Coast

Not strictly, 20 odd years into my save and Scotland are now producing players to match the best in Europe, if you get the rep of the nation up the players it produces will get better, same as if a nation goes down the players it produces will be worse. Its a very very slow process tho, it took the best part of 15 years in my save before i saw any real change in the trend.

I'm guessing half the reason why this worked is football is "very important" in Scotland. As far as I know, this is not dynamic - so if you are managing in India, for example, you can't make football become more important there, and therefore increase the quality of the newgens.

Closest I have come to winning anything with a lower ranked National Side is with Belarus, on FM9. Qualified and advanced to the Simi-finals of Euro 2012 beating both Portugal and England in the group stages before losing the France, also qualifed for the 2014 World Cup. So its possible to have some success with lower ranked nations. Despit this the quality of regens was about the same level it started at, of course this was before DLR, not revisted international management since then.

Archived