preventing one's players from back-passing to the goalie

I have just finished reading an incident in Roy Keane's autobiography where his Notts Forest manager, Brian Clough, ambushes him in the tunnel after a game where a poor Keane backpass led to a goal.

After punching Keane in the face and knocking him to the ground, Clough stated emphatically "Never, EVER backpass to the goalie again".

It is too bad this is not an allowed 'player interaction' in FM2008 because I hate it when the players back-pass.

Is there any sort of tactic that will reduce (if not eliminate)this behaviour, since nothing positive EVER seems to result from it?

Ideally, in FM2009 would allow a rule to be creating fining a player every time they back-pass...

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Not "alot", but certainly a statistically significant proportion.

Also, since a successful backpass encourages the goalie to try a long kick (although his passing is set on "short" and distribution set to "quick throw") which more often than not results in the enemy regaining possession in a favourable field position.

From your reply, backpackant, you imply that in your experience back passes are a good thing?

(Brian Clough certainly doesn't seem to agree with you...)

I've had defenders with serveral players pushing on all sides, in that case I'd rather have him pass to the goalkeeper or put it out for a throw than try to pass to another player.

Although I agree that the goalkeeper SHOULD understand that backpassing requires him to do a long pass, I don't think it should be removed from the game forever.

They seem to backpass when they don't know what else to do.

Frequently, an unsuccessful attacking corner kick, retrieved by someone back, seems to result in successive back passes all the way to the goalie.

Perhaps this is a result of a defensive posture?

Originally posted by doug m.:

They seem to backpass when they don't know what else to do.

Frequently, an unsuccessful attacking corner kick, retrieved by someone back, seems to result in successive back passes all the way to the goalie.

Perhaps this is a result of a defensive posture?

Wait, you mean your team tries a corner kick and your players backpass it all the way to the GK? Definitely something wrong there, I've never seen that. I think the pertinent sliders are mentality, passing, and tempo. You have to try to make sure your fullbacks and centerbacks have options to pass it up the field.

From your reply, backpackant, you imply that in your experience back passes are a good thing?

Not a "good" or a "bad" thing, but giving them the option is essential in the game. Otherwise you end up with players messing around on the ball and getting robbed when a simple backpass would suffice.

I think there IS a problem with decisions on the ball, though. Too many mistakes through lingering. Unless we just can't see the player fall over or something.

Let me set the scene...

92 mins and 54 seconds on the clock, it's 2-2 in a top of the table winner takes all clash in the 3rd last game of the season. My mentality : all out attack. My right midfielder whips a cross into the box, it is cleared back to the halfway line, where my centre mid is standing, in the centre circle, ready to control it and lump it back into my 4 men in the box. But whats this... he's decided not to smack it back up to the box, but he's chosen to try and head it back to the goalkeeper, FROM THE BLEEDING HALFWAY LINE! Needless to say their stiker intercepts it about 20 yards out, is now one on one with the keeper, and coolly slots it hope to take the 3 points.

It quite obviously does not all hinge on mentality, and I rarely complain about problems with FM as I realise it'll never be perfect, but that really ground my gears.

Originally posted by chaddy101:

If you read the manual, mentality plays a role in the direction and ambition of passes.

That's spot-on. Defensive mentality and time wasting will increase back-passes, as will whether the oppo are pressing your players.

This is a tactical issue - the Tactics gurus on the other forum will probably be much more informative.

Originally posted by Archy-91:

Let me set the scene...

92 mins and 54 seconds on the clock, it's 2-2 in a top of the table winner takes all clash in the 3rd last game of the season. My mentality : all out attack. My right midfielder whips a cross into the box, it is cleared back to the halfway line, where my centre mid is standing, in the centre circle, ready to control it and lump it back into my 4 men in the box. But whats this... he's decided not to smack it back up to the box, but he's chosen to try and head it back to the goalkeeper, FROM THE BLEEDING HALFWAY LINE! Needless to say their stiker intercepts it about 20 yards out, is now one on one with the keeper, and coolly slots it hope to take the 3 points.

It quite obviously does not all hinge on mentality, and I rarely complain about problems with FM as I realise it'll never be perfect, but that really ground my gears.

My centre backs' mentality are usually set to defensive, which overrides the team instructions. Did you select this or change it? Also, his decisions might not be up there.

Besides, even if you've given all the right instructions, IRL defenders make stupid mistakes all the time. Even the best ones. I think the most famous recent example is Carvalho's clanger against Man Yoo where he slid it right in to Rooney.

There are definitely intelligence issues with FM, but I don't think it's enough to ruin the game. Except when you're 2-2 and your DC tries a header from the halfway line of course. icon_wink.gifI'd be most upset. Real life OR game.

Originally posted by backpackant:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Archy-91:

Let me set the scene...

My centre backs' mentality are usually set to defensive, which overrides the team instructions. Did you select this or change it? Also, his decisions might not be up there.

Besides, even if you've given all the right instructions, IRL defenders make stupid mistakes all the time. Even the best ones. I think the most famous recent example is Carvalho's clanger against Man Yoo where he slid it right in to Rooney.

There are definitely intelligence issues with FM, but I don't think it's enough to ruin the game. Except when you're 2-2 and your DC tries a header from the halfway line of course. icon_wink.gifI'd be most upset. Real life OR game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He actually said it was his MC, so I doubt that mentality is the issue here.

Archived