what am i doing wrong, whahas changed???

Having taken Bromley to the premier league spending only 2 seasons in the same league twice i'm very confident in my tactic, the odd tweak here and there depending on injuries etc sure but 99.99% of the time its the same tactic

GK, DL, DCL, DCR, DR, DM, CM, CM, S, S, S - very fluid -overload, used the tactic on FM10 and when i originally started FM11 i did 8 extremely succesful seasons with Liverpool, then started a new game with Man City and had same success so i took on the Bromley challenge, a challange i have been extremely succesful with winning 2 league titles on route......

so premier league football, and here's were the problems started, firstly my stadium had 1300 seats, so had to ground share while that was sorted (btw i have had NO improvements to stadium or facilites over my 8 years in charge) but i was confident of competing! 2 of my strikers i got promoted with got 67 goals between them in our promotion season!

So i went into my season positive . . . which i shouldnt have, it wasnt till game 11 when we picked up a win, though getting a 2-2 against arsenal (they scored in injury time) and a 2-0 too chelsea where both of there goals were from 35 yards plus made me hope. so i won a game, but only after sitting in silence for a good day or so :D wondering where i had gone wrong, so i look at all other teams in the premier league, what were they doing i was...the result ALL BUT MYSELF AND 3 OTHER TEAMS WHERE PLAYING 4-4-2 :confused: i havent used a 4-4-2 system for a long long long time !!!! it never works, well when i do it it doesnt, so i switched to 4-4-2 and won my 11th game :applause: since then i have played 31 and won 7 of them (1 of them at old trafford 3-1 using my origianl tactic:confused:)

Now the story seems to be if i play 4-4-2 possesion is split 50-50 and pass completion is always around 75/80% but i have 7 shots on goal 1 on target to their 14 and 4 . . . . if i use my tactic i usually have 40% possesion to there 60% this has never happeneded in 8 seasons! when i play the 'top 5' liverpool etc etc they win 2-0 with wonder strikes, always 35 yarders !!!

whats going on? i dont know which tactic to work on? if i work on it if i'm making it worse?

oh and there was a season i conceded half my goals through corners, i worked on signing taller better players and this improved...till now

enjoy my rant

with my own tactic i always play overload, on the rare occasion i set it to counter, i've played overlaod for 8 seasons and been promoted 5 times in 8 seasons so its been working! i've saved my current game after a loss to watford and am now replying that fixture with each tactic i have and NEVER winning, currently loosing 2-0 at half time, they've had 15 shots, 8 on target, WHY?! they're players are on a par with mine at best and i cant see how they're 4-4-2 is so much more creative than mine

overloading poor defenses might work well but in the prem league i cant see it working the same. Replaying the same game over and over will do nothing but annoy you, its completely pointless in all honestly.

I would suggest taking your tactic to the tactics forum, upload it somewhere and ask some of the guys in there for help.

why would replaying the fixture with different tactics and line ups not work? that suggests the result is set no matter what

upload your save file and I'll guarantee that one or other forum reg will win the game at the first attempt :thup:

Your players are up against top quality opposition for the first time in their careers at your club, of course they're going to find it more difficult - it would be extremely surprising if they didn't. Your teams reputation will be way below that of most other Premier League team too which will impact on expectation, which in turn will impact on performance, which will impact on morale, and so on.

Try playing as the underdog instead of the giant, you might win more games that way :)

You're using an exploit tactic, the narrow 4-3-3 with central strikers. You're also using it on overload. This tactical set-up works as long as your attacking players are significantly better than the opposing defensive players, but you're in trouble once you come up against decent defences.

Try adding a bit of width, and not using the overload strategy all the time. The point of the strategies is that you switch between them during the match depending on the flow of play, the scoreline, the amount of energy your players have, the strength of the squads, and so forth.

why would replaying the fixture with different tactics and line ups not work? that suggests the result is set no matter what

Because you dont really learn anything, one moment can completely change a game, but being able to sustain form takes time and effort. You could win that one game because of an OG or a piece of magic and think you have cracked it, only to lose the next game and come back here saying "OMG SI sort it out". There is a falicy that playing the same game over and over helps you sort out problems but its pointless really, there are a heap of variables that come into effect for a game, starting with the mintue you select your team talk in the previous game, all your doing is repalying the same set of variables over and over with different tactics and personel, yes you will eventually be able to win that game and like Laz says if you upload the game tons of us will win it first time, but will you have learned what happened to change the game in your favour, or will it give you false confidence in a tactic that may have worked based on that set of variables but wont for another set? The best way to sort out a tactic is by playing a season, watching games and adjusting as needed, especially after your quick rise to the top, not replaying a game over and over until you win and moving onto the next one.

You're using an exploit tactic, the narrow 4-3-3 with central strikers. You're also using it on overload. This tactical set-up works as long as your attacking players are significantly better than the opposing defensive players, but you're in trouble once you come up against decent defences.

Try adding a bit of width, and not using the overload strategy all the time. The point of the strategies is that you switch between them during the match depending on the flow of play, the scoreline, the amount of energy your players have, the strength of the squads, and so forth.

What he said.

Thanks for the tips guys, its just a little frustrating playing 16 teams all playing a basic 4-4-2 with players on a par with mine and them creating 2 or 3 times as many chances, i dont always play 'overload' . . . . just a bit of a difference in quality with so many back to back promotions.

any idea how many seasons in the prem it'll take for my reputation to increase so the average?

Thanks for the tips guys, its just a little frustrating playing 16 teams all playing a basic 4-4-2 with players on a par with mine and them creating 2 or 3 times as many chances, i dont always play 'overload' . . . . just a bit of a difference in quality with so many back to back promotions.

any idea how many seasons in the prem it'll take for my reputation to increase so the average?

Generally, one, if it is a very good season. This causes teams to be more conservative against you, taking fewer risks, sitting deeper, and so forth, which often leads to complaints of "tactics breaking". In your case, it isn't reputation that is especially important (in my opinion), in fact, I reckon you'd have better luck with a lower reputation and that's probably one of the factors in your back-to-back promotions, but the quality of your players is the main reason your tactic won't work so well any more.

Archived