Important Matches Attribute

What exactly constitutes an important match ?

For instance... I'm a good few years into my current save and for the first time Newcastle are fighting for the premiership title, my spurs team are three points behind them with five games to go. I'm about to play them at home, should I lose it gives Newcastle a bit of breathing space and a really good chance of winning the league ! Does the important match attribute come into play here ? Or does it come into play seven games in when I'm playing West Ham 'cause they are rivals ?

I think you are giving the AI too much credit if you think it can work out the ramifications of a league game on the title race. I think Important matches kicks in during the latter stages of cup competitions. Maybe when you play rival clubs I never thought of that before.

well the commentary can figure out when you win or lose against a title challenging rival, you will see the phrase "team X scores a massive victory today" or words to that effect and if your in a title battle the last 4-5 games in the season you will get media messages about needing to win x amount of games or hoping your rivals slip up. It wont just be limited to cup games its an important stat so it will be widely used in the game.

But you hear so often whilst watching football about important matches here there and everywhere. They were going on about the Liverpool Arsenal game as an important game and it was only two into the season !

It was important as many people believe that Liverpool have a good chance of taking 4th place off Arsenal when considering the transfers of both clubs. I doubt this would be considered important in FM though. I think teams in and around you in the league when challenging for the title or fighting relegation along with rivals are all considered important matches. I would guess the obvious is cup finals being important, I had a player on FM09 who was decent in the league but awesome against rivals and in finals. He scored the goal that won my side the title and also scored in League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League finals.

It was important as many people believe that Liverpool have a good chance of taking 4th place off Arsenal when considering the transfers of both clubs. I doubt this would be considered important in FM though. I think teams in and around you in the league when challenging for the title or fighting relegation along with rivals are all considered important matches. I would guess the obvious is cup finals being important, I had a player on FM09 who was decent in the league but awesome against rivals and in finals. He scored the goal that won my side the title and also scored in League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League finals.

Did he have 'Relishes Imp. Matches'?

Archived