How to play against a team that has a deep defense line and plays counter attack

I would suggest a slow tempo, control mentality and play with wingers who mix their crosses with central midfielders who are happy to make plenty of runs forward. Maybe set your own full backs to quite defensive so they dont over committ, or have one central midfielder constantly sitting 'in the hole', so you dont get caught on the counter.

Patiently and controlled, basically. Aim to dominate possession (don't give away the ball with overambitious attacking) and work the ball into the box. At least that's how I do it. Raybouldinho has some good tips.

I would suggest a slow tempo, control mentality and play with wingers who mix their crosses with central midfielders who are happy to make plenty of runs forward. Maybe set your own full backs to quite defensive so they dont over committ, or have one central midfielder constantly sitting 'in the hole', so you dont get caught on the counter.

This will help pull their formation out of shape and will hopefully create gaps to exploit.

I would probably suggest that you put your own defensive line as normal or even slightly deep yourself with possibly a quicker tempo. This could help draw them a bit further up the field for you to try and take advantage of yourself. You could always push your line right up but there is the obvious risk of them catching you on the break. If you do try to push up just make sure that you don't over commit with defenders/full backs so that you do have enough players back to cover in case there is a break.

Good in theory, rarely works in reality 100 %. One of the problems of the game is how deadly the "long ball to a lone striker" situations are, no matter how well you plan against them.

I play wider and drop my defense back, full backs on support, rather than automatic. Have players pass to feet and exploit the middle.

What usually happens is my full backs bring the ball up the flank, so the opposition fullbacks go out wide to defend against them. The opposition wingers come out as well and attempt to cut out passes from my full backs to my attacking midfielders. The fullback generally gets a low pass to one of my attacking midfielders or to my ball-winning midfielder. The attacking midfielder (whether he receives the ball from the full back or the ball-winner) either dribbles around the central defender and or dribbles enough to get one central defender to commit and then passes to my lone striker as he peels off his marker.

Occasionally the fullbacks try to cross the ball in, but rarely is there a connection.

The general principles are:

• Enlarge the playing area as much as possible (play wide and deep)
  • Find space between their lines
  • Try and overload an area of the pitch where they look weak
  • Encourage plenty of movement

This is how I'd do it specifically with my system (4-2-3-1 Deep shape):

• ST to deep lying forward with support duty
  • DR/L to wingback with attack duty
  • Twist the midfield round to make it a typical Mourinho 4-3-3 and remove the playmaker duty from the former AMC - makes it too easy to stifle the attacks if they're through one man mostly
  • One CM on attack, one on support, but with forward runs tweaked to "often"
  • Use shouts to play deeper and wider

Works most of the time, but I have excellent players who have been playing the system for years, so that's probably a large part of it too.

Archived