The problem with Man city

Hi In my Man city save i have just finished my second season in my first season i won the uefa cup second season won the premier league and champions league the problem i have now is that my squad is so good i dont know who to buy to improve before someone comes on and says theres always room from improvement i know this but having just won the league and champions league im struggling to find a way to improve because ive got all this money in the transfer budget but simply dont know who to spend it on. Wondered what you guys would make of this?

I'm getting to that point (but in 2023-24) at Barça...

It's annoying when your squad is perfectly fine as it is, with at least a couple of subs who'd be stars at every other club in the world, more youth prospects than you'd even turn into superstars and a 150M budget you don't need to spend anyway...

At that stage, when even your "backup 11" could finish Top 4 in the league there's only one more goal to achieve...

Try to cut on wages and get the club to turn a profit every year (better every month)... Winning left, right and center while losing millions every month is relatively easy, doing the same without needing a sugardaddy or a loan is the ultimate challenge for such Big Clubs.

Once you've done that too, leave the club and see how long the stupid AI takes to destroy it

I'm getting to that point (but in 2023-24) at Barça...

It's annoying when your squad is perfectly fine as it is, with at least a couple of subs who'd be stars at every other club in the world, more youth prospects than you'd even turn into superstars and a 150M budget you don't need to spend anyway...

At that stage, when even your "backup 11" could finish Top 4 in the league there's only one more goal to achieve...

Try to cut on wages and get the club to turn a profit every year (better every month)... Winning left, right and center while losing millions every month is relatively easy, doing the same without needing a sugardaddy or a loan is the ultimate challenge for such Big Clubs.

Once you've done that too, leave the club and see how long the stupid AI takes to destroy it

It wouldnt take them long, believe me.

Well i made a profit over the whole season but that was due to what i won at the end i wasnt making profit each month

That should be your next target then, monthly profit. At liverpool 5th season im still struggling to win the league. Barely made the champions league this season.

I only ever spend 3 or 4 years with a big team and then move on, normally I just stay there to take it easy for a bit and build my cv then tend to move on to weaker teams. I always love journeymen careers.

Ive never really done journeyman career might wait till ive won everythin in england with city only need fa cup and league cup then move on and keep moving on once i win one trophy at each club.

I only ever spend 3 or 4 years with a big team and then move on, normally I just stay there to take it easy for a bit and build my cv then tend to move on to weaker teams. I always love journeymen careers.

But then what about that 17yo winger you signed for 500k and was almost ready to become a first squad regular?

The thing I hate the most about leaving is I can't reap what I sow... so to me the decision to leave would require at least one season of "shutdown" during which I don't bring in new prospects or players...

Something impossible to do considering FM's current handling of jobs, contract renewals and staff turnover/market.

You can't say "oh, fine, I'll take Fiorentina's job next june when their manager's contract runs out" because that job will either never be available or it'll happen overnight, in the middle of the season, so a smaller team won't be willing to pay the release fee to hire a high-profile manager...

As things are now, journeyman careers work only on the way up... then the game "encourages" it becoming a one-club gig anyway.

Something interesting just happened to keep me interested in my man city save Fabio Capello just resigned and they offered my the job naturally i accepted so i now manage man city and england and will hopefully lead england to glory as well as man city

Something interesting just happened to keep me interested in my man city save Fabio Capello just resigned and they offered my the job naturally i accepted so i now manage man city and england and will hopefully lead england to glory as well as man city

I get that a lot from the major nations but find it a distraction so i refuse.

I get that a lot from the major nations but find it a distraction so i refuse.

Thats fair enoughive never done it before so thought it would be a nice change :) England team in 2012 doesnt seem as good as i thought it would be though

but the problem i have then is its boring because its all the same! sorry to be a pain but do you get what i mean?

Just an idea, set yourself up as another manager of European club in decline (eg Monaco) and carry on with the City save (no immediate need to evolve the squad if it is top quality) then concentrate on youth and loan out future stars to the 2nd club. You can still carry on with the City save and the new manager career but your task would be to make your "Petite City" a top force in the 2nd club and it would help development of the future City stars. Some would call this cheating but its not as you are actually already a the top of your aims with City, it just gives another City related focus & challenge.

Hi In my Man city save i have just finished my second season in my first season i won the uefa cup second season won the premier league and champions league the problem i have now is that my squad is so good i dont know who to buy to improve before someone comes on and says theres always room from improvement i know this but having just won the league and champions league im struggling to find a way to improve because ive got all this money in the transfer budget but simply dont know who to spend it on. Wondered what you guys would make of this?

Oh no, what a problem! Don't tell me, you also have too many fifties for your wallet and your diamond shoes are too tight? :D

You can always improve the team, just go around and buy all the best players. Alternatively, concentrate on building yourself a great youth squad. Scout the world for under 17 players and buy 7 or 8 each season. Try to develop these into first team players, it's very satisfying to see youngsters come through and become world class.

Just because you have a transfer budget, doesn't mean you have to spend it all.

Think I'd spend it on commas and periods.

I have the same problem you do but playing with Barcelona at the moment, won champions league and La liga first season and just won the quadruple in my second season with the team (year 2037). My team is as good as they need to be and the future looks bright prospectwise. Pretty much only buy young players now as finding players that would actually improve the starting squad is almost impossible. Starting to consider taking over some team that has fallen from glory over the past 20 years and see if I can bring them back to the top or find a small team with extremly limited resources and see if I can bring them to glory at all.

To be honest if I was in the same situation as you I'd be setting myself some kind of challenge to keep it interesting. I would just be snapping up all the best youth under 17yrs old and seeing if I could create a team of all home-grown players good enough to win the Champions League, or a team of all English players, something like that.

I've seen this loads of times and done it myself, it could be classed as one of the 'classic signs of an FM player' - the 'I'm bored so let's buy someone..' scenario. lol It's made worse when you've already won all/most trophies.

You could move on, but I always find greater satisfaction in staying loyal to a club for years and trying to build my own virtual legacy with them.

I remember a fun CM3 game I had with United where I won title 7 years in a row and CL 5 or 6 times, but I never got bored because I started scouting clubs for youth, then as the Giggs and Veron's retired, I had newgens/regens and others (Lewis Buxton and Reyes!) I'd found to replace them, so I personally would recommend spending some cash pneumonia youth and saving some too in case you see a big name signing at some point. :)

I'm entering season 15 at Man City, still not bored as it's a nice distraction from more difficult game saves. Also, manager of a fairly average England side which keeps the challenge aspect. Somehow won the European Championships this year, despite lacking any real quality. A former academy player of mine got player of the tournament for us, which was a nice feeling.

You could try changing your formation to something completely different. So if youve been playing 4-4-2 change to 4-3-1-2 or even 3-4-3.

You can sell the players you dont need anymore and buy ones you do need (if you need them), then when youve cracked that formation change again so you need to change players again.

Archived