What is the point of the Reserves team? Do you use it?

If I keep my player in the first team and make him available for the reserves he is happy and getting reserve matches.

If I move him to the reserve team he gets upset.

So why would I put anybody in the reserve team and destroy their morale, instead of keep him in the first team, never let him play first team matches, but make him available for the reserve team?

Am I missing something that is influenced by being in the actual reserve team?

If I keep my player in the first team and make him available for the reserves he is happy and getting reserve matches.

If I move him to the reserve team he gets upset.

So why would I put anybody in the reserve team and destroy their morale, instead of keep him in the first team, never let him play first team matches, but make him available for the reserve team?

Am I missing something that is influenced by being in the actual reserve team?

I only ever move first team players into the reserves if they are no longer used and are going to be sold, or if they have really annoyed me. For example, I had a player earlier this season who got sent off, banned for 3 games, and then sent off again within 1 minutes of their first match back, he got 3 weeks in the reserves as a punishment.

Other than that I only use it for youth players. If a player has done very well for my Under 18s then I will move him to the reserves to expose him to a slightly higher standard of football and to see whether they have the ability to player at a slightly higher level.

I've never had anyone complain, but then, in my mind if you move a player into it, it means they're really considered a reserve-team player and they have to improve significantly to challenge for a first-team place. Wheras making them available is more for fitness sake. Although personally I don't tend to use my players in the reserves even for fitness, unless they're really not going to get a game in the first team for a while.

Most my reserve team playing games are my u18's, and they took the reserve and u18 groups by storm last year. Was fun to see them winning for a change, as typically my reserve teams and u18 teams have been awful because I couldnt afford to have reserve players or buy in good youngsters even if they're way short of first team age.

I always let my subtitute goalkeeper if he's a youngster play for reserves too, because it's a way for him to get fitness and match experience, while he's rarely likely to play much part in the first team games. Plus he's fit enough to play both first team and reserve, so why not?

I manage in scotland and there is no reserve league up here, so mines is always empty, anyone 19 or under is in the under 19's, anyone older is either sold or in the first team squad, i do arrange reserve games from players coming back from injury and just set to available until fit.

The first thing I do when taking over a club is to get rid of deadwood, and the first deadwood to be ushered out the doors is the reserve team. In England, the reserve league is nice because it lets the u18 players play more than 15-20 games per season and it lets fringe players in the first team gain match fitness.

After a few seasons, I have no players residing in the reserve team.

In Italy they don't even have a reserve league, so there I throw them out asap too. two 21+ players can play in the u20 league matches, so any reserve team player I might have left are put there and then the assistant manager selects two of them for each match. I usually fire all youth players with 1 star or less in PA, especially the 50 or so players of that calibre taking up space in Milan.

In Spain I usually keep a cheap B-team even though they don't play in a league and never gets promoted. Academy players go there when they turn 19, if they have a bit ability.

I use the reserve team heavily, for form, morale, fitness, development, trialists, those returning from injury...

the actual Reserve Team will have the majority of my "hot prospect" free signings that are more for cash generation/potential backup than the first team proper, youth academy players who have done enough to earn a deal (or have decent enough potential to have sale value), older players who are nearing the end of their shelf-life and the deadwood that every successful team accumulates as they rise through the divisions (i.e. they were good when I signed them, and still would be at that level).

It appears that if a player's squad status is backup, hot prospect, youngster or not needed then you can place them in the reserves without problems at least that's my experience. I've never tried to place rotation, first team or key players in the reserves but I would imagine that they might bitch about it should I do it..

maybe you should check the squad status (or change it) of the player(s) you want to move to the reserves?

I use the reserve team heavily, for form, morale, fitness, development, trialists, those returning from injury...

Same here. I use it to give the best prospects regular reserve playtime. Added to that are first squad players that are either out of form or need some matches to become matchfit again. The danger in having a (almost) empty reserve squad is that your assistent starts taking a lot of players from the <18/19 squad to play reserve matches, effectively wearing out the players in the <18/19 who now play reserves and <18/19 matches.

I use the reserve teams and the U18s squad. The U18s are where I keep all my really, really promising youngsters.

If they are really promising and appear to have the stats and form I will put them in the reserves, regaardless of age.

The reserve team I use to keep first team backup players' fitness up, those players who aren't quite ready for regular first team starts but could be useful for cup games/games against weaker teams, old players I'm using as mentors and the afformentioned highly promising youngsters.

I don't like to keep huge first team squads, so I tend to rely on younger players to fill in when I get a spate of injuries to the first team - keeping the Reserves aactive ensures I have fit players.

Turning around poor morale is a good use for the reserves.

In fact, playing my entire first team as the reserves worked so well that I banned myself from doing it.

The trouble with the reserve league is that they play too many games. I prefer a couple of friendlies a month but they're a pain to organise.

Reserves team used for the development of my Under 18s squad, holding over 18's who are on loan, first team players needing fitness and anyone who is being sold. I have no dedicated reserve players. This is mainly because I view my club as one big side, rather than 3 separate sides

I don't keep any players in the reserve squad - instead, I let my U18s play the reserve matches, with help from any senior players that need to find fitness or form.

Essentially, I'm following the advice on squad management of SFraser's threads in the Tactics forum. I have between four and seven (e.g. for DC) players for each position at the whole club - seniors and U18s. No filler - just 40 to 45 players all getting match experience.

I tend to have inflated squads .. I sooo love getting new players. So I use mine quite a bit, to keep them fit. I also use trialists a great deal, and they can be tested in the Reserves during the season. It also gives my more promising youngsters more of a challenge than in the U18 squad.

Since I can't force the AI to use certain players in certain positions in the Reserves, I also control all Reserves matches for my club.

I don't keep any players in the reserve squad - instead, I let my U18s play the reserve matches, with help from any senior players that need to find fitness or form.

Essentially, I'm following the advice on squad management of SFraser's threads in the Tactics forum. I have between four and seven (e.g. for DC) players for each position at the whole club - seniors and U18s. No filler - just 40 to 45 players all getting match experience.

I have taken the same approach, and with significant improvements over my previous approach. Definitely something i will build on for FM12 (assuming i buy it)

Do you have a link to SFraser's thread, I've been trying to find it.

Anyone who 'graduates' from the u18s goes in the reserve team, either to get sold if their potential is 1 star or below, or to play for a few years and develop them a bit, getting the odd cup game. As soon as they reach the season in which they turn 22 they're either out the door, or in the 1st team. Real prospects who I buy go here after a season or two of u18 football as well. Old guys whose contract I'm running down also go in here, and occasionally the odd first-teamer lacking match practice goes in. It leads to a slightly inflated squad but with 500 million in the bank I don't have to keep a close eye on things financially anymore.

Huh, is this not how it works in real life anyway?

If a player is coming back from an injury or as been dropped because of lack of form or another player in his position is player better, they are made available for the reserves and play a few reserve games.

if a player is not needed by the club, they get banged into the reserve squad and train with the reserves etc

I do the same

I do the same

Then when they reach 18 is your plan to either promote them to the first team or sell them?

Because the way I see it, is that you can have say two DC's in the under 18's at 16 and give them a few years to develop, then once they reach 18 I will still have two first team CB's, Do I then promote these players into the first team (provided they are good enough) and then sell the backup DC's in the first team and buy two new 16 year olds to put in the reserves and start the cycle all over again. Would this be the way to do it?

Thats the way i do it, i have two main centre backs, one youngish back up who i am still developing and then 2 really young ones, if the young ones come along well enough i sell one in the first team and move the young guys up to back up and then maybe into first choice and start looking for kids again.

My reserves is basically my u23 or u21 side depending on how my youth are producing, i will basically have players who are above 18 yr old and still considered 'potential' or 'growing' and not making my first choice 18, some will be loaned out and others will stay in reserves for games, when they reach 22 or 23 and havent become good enough i will ship them out (usually for a profit) or hopefully they will have made it into my team by then.

When it comes to the reserve squad size i would say prob 10-15 players max which is supplemented by bench players made available for fitness and ofc u18 players deemed worthy or reserve action, ofc this is all controlled by my reserve team manager (who is my assistant) so he has to be of high quality to run the team.

Currently am managing Aston Villa in Prem and we are 5th - 8th place team generally, this is my reserve side

2wgaz69.jpg

this is my 3rd choice striker who is currently not making my 4-2-3-1 formation or bench so he plays reserves (made availble still in first squad list)

2wmiftf.jpg

this is a potential DC for my future (if he improves more) he is a reserve player only atm

34eb485.jpg

There are no reserve games in Italy, so I just dump players I don't need in there. If I don't need them because they're flat-out bad or surplus, they sit there waiting to be sold or temporarily loaned (and only after I've told them as much, and they've accepted it). If I don't need them because they're over-20 but haven't matured to my liking yet, they go there so when they go out on loan I can look through them all quickly.

Ideally there are 0-8 players in there, certainly never more than that (I try to keep players at my club, total, below 50). And most of the time all of those are on loan (or co-owned).

I tend to have a tiny reserve squad, mainly the golden oldies i cant/wont sell while i wait for them to become coaches. In one of my united saves though i did not enter them in a reserve league and oragnised about 25 friendlys against better opposition. Worked well for bringing injured players back to fitness.

I've found that a fringe players whines a lot less about getting no first team football if he's in the reserves rather than being in the first team. I use it for those players who are over 18 who don't yet feature in my first team plans. It could be that it's an ageing player who is losing his grip on first team opportunies, or a developing youngster who still doesn't look good enough for the exposure to the first team. Sometimes, it's just that I've decided someone doesn't figure in my plans in the near or long term future.

The reserve team does serve a purpose, and I am always so frustrated when I manage clubs either without a reserve team at all, or without a reserve league.

My reserve team is normally made up of three types of players.

The first type of players are first team players that have been out on long term injury. These players sit in the reserve team while they are out ready to get back some fitness before being reintroduce to the first team. The second type of player are my development player, young players that have left the under 18's, but i still want to keep and develop. These are either loaned out to a lower team or getting tutored from one of the first team player. The final set of players that are in my reserves are ones waiting to be moved on. Players who's have signed pre-contract deals with other clubs are placed down hereat the end of the season, along with players who are not needed by the club but would cost to much to release from there contact and don't want to come to a agreement with me on there release.

Seems to work pretty well for me.

• 1 month later...
Then when they reach 18 is your plan to either promote them to the first team or sell them?

Because the way I see it, is that you can have say two DC's in the under 18's at 16 and give them a few years to develop, then once they reach 18 I will still have two first team CB's, Do I then promote these players into the first team (provided they are good enough) and then sell the backup DC's in the first team and buy two new 16 year olds to put in the reserves and start the cycle all over again. Would this be the way to do it?

It's always tricky, bringing players through. Ultimately, I probably have four first team DCs, so the young guys would either take backup or senior roles if good enough, or would get loaned out for first team experience if not.

I'm quite harsh here too - if I don't think, at 18, that they're likely to make Premiership quality, they're out. Sold if there is interest, freed if not.

There's no reason a player should get disgruntled if you talk to them first and let them know they're going to spend some time in the reserves. I use my reserves for aging heroes and hot prospects.

The one gripe I have with the Reserves is preseason. If I have a squad of 25 players and they all need match fitness before the start of the season I'd like to be able to have a 1st team vs 1st team friendly rather than 1st team vs Reserves.

Quickly dumping half of your players in the reserves so they can play a friendly is a pain.

I hate the reserve team. Spurs don't have one in real life anyway, they disbanded it to send the players on loan to play competitive games and then focussed on the 17-18yr olds who were going around the world playing in tournaments for their age groups. Then the NextGen series took off and the under 17 players are in that as well as the Academy and various Spurs XI games. Far better than the reserve league, in my opinion, which usually had players who didn't care and the club wanted rid of or players returning from injury.

In the game I do the same. I don't rejoin the reserve league and do keep an U18 league. I put my reserves, 18-21 yr olds, out on loan until I am ready for them.. I put my 15-18 yr olds in the U18 team and loan out the better ones once they reach 17. I also have 4 or 5 players in my first team who are too good for the reserves and loan them out but monitor them properly in case I need them towards the end of the season when there is a fixture pile up. Also means I can dump players as they decline and have a readymade replacement of about the same level.

The title is misleading, the thread was supposed to be about "available for reserves" vs actually moving the player in the reserve team. Both options fulfil the task of giving a player matches in the Reserves competition, but the actual placement in Reserves also have the downside of possibly upsetting him.

Therefore there is only downside to really put somebody in the reserve team, rather than having him just available for it.

I use it. Never have a problem with unhappy first-teamers being in there.

I don't enter any reserve or under 18s leagues.

All my youngsters go into the reserves, and I'll arrange fixtures when I see fit.

So with no under 18's team, how do you get youngsters coming through the ranks at your club ?

Archived