Is there such a thing as a bogey team?

I have never really believed in bogey sides on FM but this season in my Puebla game I have lost six games all season. One against Man City in the World Club Cup thing, once against Corinthians away in the Libertadores and one more loss against Pumas in the league. My other three loses were against the same team Morelia there team is not awesome in fact player for player my side should destroy them. So simple question do bogey teams exist in FM or is it a coincidence?

Yes, Real Madrid. Lost 7-0 at the Bernabeu 3 times at Malaga. Moved to Valencia and the scorelines been more closer but with Real winning, (4-2 and 2-0).

My record vs Real at Malaga...

Worsthead-to-head.png

Huddersfield for me, with my Burton team I had a 1-2-4 record against them including a playoff semi draw and loss, and a loss a few games earlier in the season where a win could well have given us automatic promotion. But I had the last laugh and beat them in the playoff final the next year. Sean Scannell just killed me every time. Preston are similar, they are bollocks but always do well against me and Akwasi Asante keeps getting hattricks and 4 or 5 past me each game!!!

i don't believe there are. What i believe there are, are some teams tactics/formations etc that cause your side problems, so pretty much every time you play 'team X' who use that formation etc you struggle, hence them being thought of as your 'bogey' team.

I was always told that teams with a fast tempo and a wide formation would do well against me, whenever i played my 'bogey' team i noticed that they were playing quick and wide, 2+2 being 4 i adjusted my tactics and formation to counter it and did them 3-0. Currently played 8 since then, 7 wins and a draw!

There's one regen manager in my game whose tactics are horrifically good against mine, but he has never moved to a big club. Hopefully, that never happens... He's one of the few managers whom I have to deploy a totally different tactic against simply because he falls in the 0.1% of tactics that actually really hurt mine (the tactic performs at least above-average against the remaining 99.9%).

bogey teams.....I have had a couple over the years.

At different times, both of the madrids would fall under that category.

Atletico were so freaking annoying because of the fact that they never created chances...my defenders created chances for them.

The best part about real madrid was that Raul ALWAYS jumped higher than Crouch and ALWAYS faster than Walcott. Was complete BS everytime :D

Other bogey teams? Anyone who employs a narrow tactic. Mind you I still play FM10.

Bogey team, thy name is Wigan. I hate Wigan. I was delighted when they were relegated on my current Chelsea save, thought I'd finally have to stop playing them, and then drew them in the FA Cup. Took me a replay to beat them, which was better than my results in the league in past seasons.

Reading were my bogey team in my Southampton FM10 save. I think over the course of my 23-year save, I beat them about 7 times in all competitions. Reckon I must have played them at least 30/35 times? They were the one team I feared drawing in the cup, such was my poor record against them :(

Never really had a bogey team but a bogey player? Hell yeah.

Russell Hoult, the one time West Brom goalkeeper ALWAYS got a 9.0+ rating against me in FM07 (i think it was 07 anyway), no matter who i was or who he was playing for. In fact despite winning leagues and champions leagues with ease i could never beat west brom, or any other club he played for :(

What matters is the manager (sometimes players) of the opposing teams.

For example, when I face underdogs with a manager that employs a very slow tempo with very short passing, I always struggle. And if, on top of that, they have some good technical players, I have to slide closing down to the max or I won't even have the ball, no matter the quality of my team.

One team like that is Naval in the Portuguese league under manager Mozer with his 4-2-2-2 Brazilian style.

For example, when I face underdogs with a manager that employs a very slow tempo with very short passing, I always struggle. And if, on top of that, they have some good technical players, I have to slide closing down to the max or I won't even have the ball, no matter the quality of my team.

Eee imo that's matter of your tactic, it doesn't work that well against slow tempo & slow passes. I think it's not related to this thread...

Eee imo that's matter of your tactic, it doesn't work that well against slow tempo & slow passes. I think it's not related to this thread...

Of course it is related, what I'm trying to say is that there are managers whose style is very effective against yours. That's what makes bogey teams. You don't always lose against the same club just because.

Managing Real Madrid at the moment on FM10. A couple of seasons ago, I thought I was finally going to go a whole season unbeaten, until in my 34th match, I lose 2-1 away to Almeria. Season after that, I'd actually won my first 32 matches before losing 1-0 at home to Almeria, ending my winning streak, unbeaten streak and a nearly 18-month scoring-in-every game streak in one swoop.

This season I had Almeria in my second match, but as I lost the first one anyway, there was no pressure to keep up any kind of run. Smashed them 12-3 for my biggest win in the 25ish seasons I've been playing!

On fm 10 as liverpool i had a terrible record against stoke. I think in about 10 games against them a won once and drew twice. After i realised my record was that bad i never held back against them and i started to improve that record. At one point i beat them 6-1 as i constantly tried to field a full strength side whenever i played them.

For my still rather short spell att Barcelona I have had serious issues with Valencia, once managed to lose 3 games in a row against them, played them in the cup and the league game happened to be in between that. Just managed to scrape a win 2-1 against them and hope that will break the horrible mental hold they have had over my team though.

For my still rather short spell att Barcelona I have had serious issues with Valencia, once managed to lose 3 games in a row against them, played them in the cup and the league game happened to be in between that. Just managed to scrape a win 2-1 against them and hope that will break the horrible mental hold they have had over my team though.

it is their tactics, if you are playing barca close to real life formations and tactics, valencia will do very well against a 433. I had the same issue but overcame it but pulling my wing backs back to full backs and my wingers to midfielders.

I'm not playing anything close to their real life tactic I would assume, don't know because as difficult it is to believe and weird as it seems I'm not much of a football fan. I watch the occational game if someone else is watching it (mostly Liverpool once in our house) but other than that pretty much all my football experience is this game and various other management games over the past 20+ years. I play a 4-2-4 at the moment that I made for my Sampdoria team. When I took over barca they had a similar set of players so I put them on the same tactic with a pretty good successrate sofar, except for Valencia games that is.

Bogey teams definitely exist, largely because their tactics are strong against your own so they'll always be a problem until either one of you switches tactics, of course, if you switch tactics you run the risk of destroying your own team all by yourself so it's a catch 22!! It wouldn't surprise me if FM considered the previous form between the 2 sides to add more spice to the match experience too.

In previous FMs (going back to early CMs) I always had a problem with Everton. So much so that I figured that Ov and Paul (as Everton fans) had coded them to always give the human player a hard time!! Beware the toffees

Aston Villa and ManCity in my current Liverpool save. I am only in season 3 but everytime I face those two teams I know it will be a draw or a loss.

For Aston Villa actually it's always a draw. 0:0. 2:2. 1:1. Can't beat them. Even if it looks like it. 90th+3 they equalize.

For ManCity. It's always a marathon game. Seem to play them in the cups as well. Always goes to penalties and they win. Regular league matches they win or it's a draw.

Season 1 the strong teams spurs, Manu, Chelsea were trouble and just destroyed me. But I was able to beat them after trying, tweaking and getting better players.

Just doesn't work against AV and ManC.

Ipswich and Stoke. Although in my current game Stoke have been languishing in the Championship for a while, so I'm safe for now. Ipswich is always one of those games where I seem to concede early and then theres no highlights for the rest of the game and it just flies by. :mad:

As Wolves any game against West Brom should be a difficult one...but I always win rather compfortably :D I've played them about 16 times in 5 seasons (lots of cup ties against them!) and lost only once away in a Carling Cup game where I played my reserves as I was more interested in Europe and drawn only twice. Some of the wins have been completely euphoric, played then first game of the season in this season and beat them 5-2 at home with Khouma Babacar scoring 5 on his debut. I've just won the league and they've been relegated!

i don't believe there are. What i believe there are, are some teams tactics/formations etc that cause your side problems, so pretty much every time you play 'team X' who use that formation etc you struggle, hence them being thought of as your 'bogey' team.

I was always told that teams with a fast tempo and a wide formation would do well against me, whenever i played my 'bogey' team i noticed that they were playing quick and wide, 2+2 being 4 i adjusted my tactics and formation to counter it and did them 3-0. Currently played 8 since then, 7 wins and a draw!

Whilst that's possibly more true, it only works as long as they use the same formation/manager. ;)

It also doesn't account for inconsistency, such as the good record they have but also beating them 7-0.

I have a few in my Alfreton save, even since I've become a top 5 side.

Played Villa 19 times, won 3 drew 5 lost 11. Only beaten them away from home once.

Also only won away against Bolton just twice in 10 attempts, including getting thumped 6-0.

Played Arsenal 25 times, won 3, drawn 4 lost 18. Never beaten them at the Emirates [3D, 8L]

Tottenham use to be a bogey team for me, beaten them 3 games in a row now though so tides are turning a bit, but before that I was 1 win, 3 draws in 18 games.

Archived