Villas-Boas Appointment and FM2012

I'd like to see suprise or shock managerial appointments incorporated into FM 2012 similar to the situation with the relatively unknown Villas-Boas being appointed as Chelsea manager.

It's obviously connected to manager reputation and this can be frustrating at times. In FM 2011 i've taken Rotherham United into the Premier League with back to back promotions from League 2 right through to the Championship and my reputation within the game still remains as 'regional'. Currently when other jobs are becoming available such as West Ham or Fulham in my game i'm not even getting considered when submitting my job application and most frustrating is that some of my players are finding it hard to "motivate themselves for a manager of my standing" despite me leading them through the lower leagues and into the EPL.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet but the game doesn't seem to recognise my achievement and I would have thought that a manager that has taken a Club from League 2 to the Premiership in just three seasons would have a better standing in World football, certainly one that was managing in the Premier League.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and going back to my first point, I think it would be good if randomly or on rare occassions big Clubs come in for successful but relatively unknown managers which mirrors the Villas-Boas to Chelsea move.

Keith Millen has just been given the England job, his achievements consisting of one FA Cup, and best league finish of 11th with Peterborough.

Lee Jae-Woong was hired as Liverpool manager, despite only having experience at S. Korea.

Man Utd promoted Paul McGuinness internally.

Shefki Kuqi was hired for Arsenal based solely on his incredible performance in the Greek leagues.

I don't know how many more shock appointments I can take?

On the contrary, i'd prefer the game were capable of making rational managerial appointments before going for the surprise appointments.

I mean, Utd hiring Christian Gross to take over from Fergie....McCleish taking over Arsenal in the third season when they are still a CL club and he'd done bugger all with Birmingham. This is the priority.

Keith Millen has just been given the England job, his achievements consisting of one FA Cup, and best league finish of 11th with Peterborough.

Lee Jae-Woong was hired as Liverpool manager, despite only having experience at S. Korea.

Shefki Kuqi was hired for Arsenal based solely on his incredible performance in the Greek leagues.

Shocking, and a big game flaw. Huge infact.

I wouldn't say Villas-Boas becoming Chelsea manager was a shock though. He did well when he was at Porto by winning the league and winning the Euro Cup. He was also at Chelsea when Mourinho was there and some have said that he likes to play like Mourinho's sides do. So if anything it's a fairly understandable appointment.

Shocks in management rarely happen. Usually you have to prove yourself in a top division before getting a better job. The only manager that I can think of that got a job without managing in a top league to start off with was Paul Ince. That didn't exactly go well.

I know what you are trying to say though and clubs in the Premiership should be starting to take an interest in you if you've done so well. Just out of interest, how many seasons have you been in the Premiership now?

I don't like the reputation descriptions as they're nowhere near as descriptive as they should be. There's a huge difference between "National" and "Continental", for example.

I'd like to see reputations that are longer, that actually suggest what your managerial style is. For example, Big Sam could be "Stubborn, good at operating on a shoestring budget and proven in the Premier League". A young, promising manager could be "Talented young manager who has proven himself in the Championship". A manager who has been at or around League One all his life might be "Average League One manager". And so on.

I wouldn't say Villas-Boas becoming Chelsea manager was a shock though. He did well when he was at Porto by winning the league and winning the Euro Cup. He was also at Chelsea when Mourinho was there and some have said that he likes to play like Mourinho's sides do. So if anything it's a fairly understandable appointment.

Shocks in management rarely happen. Usually you have to prove yourself in a top division before getting a better job. The only manager that I can think of that got a job without managing in a top league to start off with was Paul Ince. That didn't exactly go well.

I know what you are trying to say though and clubs in the Premiership should be starting to take an interest in you if you've done so well. Just out of interest, how many seasons have you been in the Premiership now?

It's my first season in the EPL.

I see what everyone else is saying in terms of strange appointments because there's a few in my game too but us, as "human" managers seem to get treated differently. Maybe a solution would be to have an added reputation such as "Young, Whipper-snapper" and this sees big Clubs take chances on relatively unknown managers that haven't been round long but have had instant success. This again mirrors the Villas-Boas thing. I see what you're saying about Chelsea's logic behind his appointment so maybe if we (again as "human" managers) are having exceptional first and second seasons, the big guns are coming in for us.

I can see why West Ham and Fulham aren't interested in hiring you at this present moment in time. It's your first season in the Premiership, and if you were to get relegated then they maybe worried that you would or could do the same to them despite having the better players at your disposal. I think that if you do have a good first season in the Premier League, then you may get other clubs like Wigan interested in you.

I haven't really ever seen clubs like Fulham and West Ham who apart from West Ham last season have mainly been mid table sides for the past few seasons give managers from lower leagues chances. The only clubs are Wigan with Roberto Martinez and Paul Ince at Blackburn. I also believe that Martinez partly got the job at Wigan because of when he played there he was a fan favourite(I think, not sure.) and Ince got the job at Blackburn based on his reputation as a player and partly down to how well he had done with Macclesfield Town and MK Dons.

Keith Millen has just been given the England job, his achievements consisting of one FA Cup, and best league finish of 11th with Peterborough

Steve McLaren got the England job off a League Cup win and somehow getting to the UEFA Cup final with Boro.

Arsene Wenger was hired by Arsenal after a league and cup win in the French league nearly 10 years before, after 18 months in the Japanese league.

These things do happen you know!

Steve McLaren got the England job off a League Cup win and somehow getting to the UEFA Cup final with Boro.

Arsene Wenger was hired by Arsenal after a league and cup win in the French league nearly 10 years before, after 18 months in the Japanese league.

These things do happen you know!

Totally agree. I was just making a point to OP that not all FM jobs are predictable.

I haven't really ever seen clubs like Fulham and West Ham who apart from West Ham last season have mainly been mid table sides for the past few seasons give managers from lower leagues chances. The only clubs are Wigan with Roberto Martinez and Paul Ince at Blackburn. I also believe that Martinez partly got the job at Wigan because of when he played there he was a fan favourite(I think, not sure.) and Ince got the job at Blackburn based on his reputation as a player and partly down to how well he had done with Macclesfield Town and MK Dons.

Owen Coyle maybe? I don't think sending Burnley on the path to relegation was what convinced Bolton to appoint him.

It's only a small leap from Ince to Zola and Southgate, who had no previous management experience.

I don't like the reputation descriptions as they're nowhere near as descriptive as they should be. There's a huge difference between "National" and "Continental", for example.

I'd like to see reputations that are longer, that actually suggest what your managerial style is. For example, Big Sam could be "Stubborn, good at operating on a shoestring budget and proven in the Premier League". A young, promising manager could be "Talented young manager who has proven himself in the Championship". A manager who has been at or around League One all his life might be "Average League One manager". And so on.

I like this idea.

Owen Coyle maybe? I don't think sending Burnley on the path to relegation was what convinced Bolton to appoint him.

It's only a small leap from Ince to Zola and Southgate, who had no previous management experience.

Yeah, Owen Coyle was one. He's in the same category as Martinez though. He did well with his club Burnley but he also played for Bolton. Southgate and Zola being appointed was surely based on their reputations as players.

Southgate by all accounts is a very smart footballing man, he knows his stuff very very well, just not the best motivator in the world. I think he got on very well with the boro chairman thats how he ended up with that job.

Zola definitely tho!

Rudd Gullit should come under that catagory, he hasnt done well in any of his management jobs yet teams still want him!

Archived