Key Attributes

I'm wondering, which attributes do you look for in players? I know there's an extensive list of attributes required for a certain position, but the users' experience in the game usually pin-points 3-4 most important attributes.

While there are highlighted attributes needed for each duty/role in the game, there are always some that are more important than the others.

Also, are there attributes you always look for, regardless of player position?

To start you off, look in the second post in the FAQ guide in the Good Players and Teams forum, where there is a full list

Yeah, I know about those. As I said, it all usually comes down to 2-3 most important attributes per position and/or some mental atts for all players, in general. That's what I'm interested in. :)

I look at Determination, Decisions, Creativity, Work Rate, Anticipation, Pace, Technique... in that order

Then I go specific per position:

Jumping, Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Strength, Concentration and Acceleration for central defenders

Acceleration, Stamina, Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Crossing for full backs

Acceleration, Tackling, Stamina, Strength, Jumping, Passing for defensive midfielders

Acceleration, Passing, Dribbling, Finishing, Composure for the wingers

Acceleration, Composure, Dribbling, Finishing, Strength, Balance, Passing for strikers

For keepers I look at Handling, Aerial Ability, Reflexes, Concentration, Positioning, Kicking, Throwing, Jumping (in addition to Determination and Decisions of course)

These are from the Hints & Tips list (FM10)

1 The ratings for reflexes, handling, communication, jumping and positioning are

generally a good indicator for how good a goalkeeper is.

2 If you're looking for a good wing-back pay special attention to an individual's

positioning, tackling, stamina, pace and acceleration.

3 Positioning, tackling, pace and anticipation are just some of the important

characteristics that make for a good full-back.

4 A good centre-back will usually have high ratings for tackling, jumping, positioning,

heading, strength, marking, bravery and team work.

5 Pace, dribbling, passing, off the ball, creativity, stamina and crossing are just some of

the important characteristics that make for a good winger.

6 Passing, off the ball, creativity, technique, dribbling and stamina are just some of the

important characteristics that make for a good attacking midfielder.

7 A good defensive midfielder will most likely have high ratings for tackling, work rate,

stamina and positioning.

8 Pace, acceleration, dribbling, technique, finishing and off the ball are just some of the

important characteristics that make for a good pacey striker.

9 Jumping, heading, strength and off the ball are just some of the important

characteristics that make for a good target man.

These are from the Hints & Tips list (FM10)

1 The ratings for reflexes, handling, communication, jumping and positioning are

generally a good indicator for how good a goalkeeper is.

2 If you're looking for a good wing-back pay special attention to an individual's

positioning, tackling, stamina, pace and acceleration.

3 Positioning, tackling, pace and anticipation are just some of the important

characteristics that make for a good full-back.

4 A good centre-back will usually have high ratings for tackling, jumping, positioning,

heading, strength, marking, bravery and team work.

5 Pace, dribbling, passing, off the ball, creativity, stamina and crossing are just some of

the important characteristics that make for a good winger.

6 Passing, off the ball, creativity, technique, dribbling and stamina are just some of the

important characteristics that make for a good attacking midfielder.

7 A good defensive midfielder will most likely have high ratings for tackling, work rate,

stamina and positioning.

8 Pace, acceleration, dribbling, technique, finishing and off the ball are just some of the

important characteristics that make for a good pacey striker.

9 Jumping, heading, strength and off the ball are just some of the important

characteristics that make for a good target man.

This is a generic response, in all fairness. Do you use the above as your guidelines or you have some additional "rules"? For example, you can see from BiggusD's post that determination is important for all positions, as well as acceleration, but you won't see that in any guide. If you do, it's probably not stressed enough, and that's what I'm talking about; over time, users can single out a few attributes that are overpowered (loosely speaking) and could be vital to know of. The official guides, hints etc. are often far too broad and generic.

Well, the thing is that no matter what a player do in the ME, Determination and Decisions are involved. Furthermore, whatever a player do when he has the ball, Technique is involved too.

So those three needs to be at least non-weak for a player to be good over time. There are many excellent players with low determination, but my experience with some of them (Robinho, Zlatan amongst others) tells me that they are more difficult to motivate. Of course, the hidden attributes are equally important as Determination in the game but it is difficult to know what they are. Generally, the good personality types all have high Determination (as far as I know).

I'm with the majority in that determination is a key attribute for me. I buy mostly U18s, and I feel this is key for them to fully develop their potential. I also take things like work rate and teamwork into account, but also like to see what kind of personality they have via the scout report. I prefer players who are professsional and will fit in with my squad.

This is a generic response, in all fairness. Do you use the above as your guidelines or you have some additional "rules"? For example, you can see from BiggusD's post that determination is important for all positions, as well as acceleration, but you won't see that in any guide. If you do, it's probably not stressed enough, and that's what I'm talking about; over time, users can single out a few attributes that are overpowered (loosely speaking) and could be vital to know of. The official guides, hints etc. are often far too broad and generic.

Sorry, missed the last line of your OP.

If you are talking about the Attributes I would always look to have in the 'finished article' for all positions then, Decisions, Determination, Natural Fitness, Stamina, Pace and Technique.

Well, the thing is that no matter what a player do in the ME, Determination and Decisions are involved. Furthermore, whatever a player do when he has the ball, Technique is involved too.

So those three needs to be at least non-weak for a player to be good over time. There are many excellent players with low determination, but my experience with some of them (Robinho, Zlatan amongst others) tells me that they are more difficult to motivate. Of course, the hidden attributes are equally important as Determination in the game but it is difficult to know what they are. Generally, the good personality types all have high Determination (as far as I know).

It's not always the case in FM10. I had Ozil with 8 Determination and Ambitious personality (scout report said he fitted in well with my Professional squad) found out later his hidden stats were Ambition 17 and Professionalism 16.

Might have changed in FM11 though.

Archived