Width Slider for Movement - FM2013 Idea

Firstly, the title says 2013 because if SI like this idea, they can only implement it from then on.

I recently read one of many 'translating-Barca-to-FM' article, and many of them seem to come stuck in defense. There is no way to make the CBs move wide in possession and offer passing options from the back and for the DM to slot in between them.

At first I thought, maybe FM should create new roles that would accomodate such tactical innovations, as well as others, such as the central winger (relatively similar to the inside-forward, only he moves from the centre to the wing in the search for spaces), forwards running wide to open up spaces through the middle, shuttlers covering the centre and wing and others.

But then I noticed that a lot of these have to do with players starting in one place, and when possession switches (whether with the ball or without) they move along the X-axis, horizontally. This was once somewhat possible by giving your players diagonal runs, but this has been taken out, and the width slider isn't enough. I think a new width slider should be available, or a new way to structure positions.

I think these new ideas could be implemented by simply allowing us to instruct our players to move horizontally as well as vertically, and not just in attack, but in defense as well. So, to make a shuttler, I'd have his initial positin at MC so he'd know to defend the centre when without the bible, but have his new with slider on wide so he'd move wide in attack. The current width sliders only allow me to choose where he positions himself consistently, it doesn't give me any flexibility.

The 3 options for wide play also don't encompass the huge variety of movements players can perform, but if anyone knows how to mimic these movements in FM, please say so. I think a new width slider for movement on top of one for initial position would be a huge improvement and offer a lot of flexibility.

Another option would be to have two line-ups, one showing positions in attack, and one in defense. So my shuttler would be place on the AMR in the attack line-up so he'd move there when have the ball, but MC when we don't so he'd defend centrally.

Basically, I think we should have two width sliders, one for position, and one for movement, and have the ability to move players horizontally and vertically in terms of attack and defense, having them take up different positions depending on what phase the team is in.

Thoughts?

Archived