Goalkick Set-pieces - FM2013 Idea

First off, the title says 2013 because obviously this idea, if they haven't thought of it already, won't be available or 2012.

Here's the gist, goalkicks are a part of a manager's set-up, and some teams give it a lot of importance, but in FM there's not much you can do with it. Generally, this isn't much of an issue, but some tactics have specific keeper distribution mechanics, and I think that if goalkicks were given set-piece options, like corners do, the game would resemble real-life more.

For example, Barca jhave their CBs move wide and their DM move back to receive the ball when the keeper has the ball. With keeper set-pieces, you could instruct the DM to 'come deep' and CBs to 'stay wide'. Other options would be 'look for space' so players will try to move away from their markers, 'flick-on' so the targetman will look to head theball into another's players' path, and 'run onto ball/flick' for quick players, and 'stay wide' or 'move centrally' to open up the field or have better chances in the central zones. All these are things manager instruct their players, and this could have a knock-on effect onto how target-men instructions are done and generally gives you more options.

Also, lots of people are struggling with making a perfect Barcelona tactic and this feature would help.

Thoughts?

I have never tried to be Barca, but others have and this would help them, as well as allowing the AI to play a realistic Barca.

It also has larger connotations than just Barca, giving you tactical options whether you play short or direct, and giving you more options for keeper distribution. Such as laying out how you want your targetman to play and receive the ball as well plan which players are there to get the flick-on etc. Goalkicks are a part of tactics, and there's more to them than just kick the ball and hope someone gets it down.

I'm actually surprised that Barca is all you've got from it, it was just an example.

I must confess to my naievity when it comes to the tactical value of a goal kick. I am a bred rugby league fan who enjoys watching roundball and has played FM since 05. At no point have I done anything but try get him to distrobute the ball to my most offencive defender and take the play from there. As I read it, I saw alot of fuss for something I don't quite understand, and then Barca. I latched onto what I saw. Also living in a rugby league town(Townsville,Aus) that just lost their professional soccer team (thanks FFA you bunch of twats), surrounded by rugby league fanatics, it is alittle hard to gain an education in such matters and their flow on into FM. Hell, I don't even know anyone else who plays this game IRL.

2 things can be learned from this:

1) Ignorence breeds stupidity

and

2)If anyone in townsville wants tto meet up for FM or any other reason, drop me a pm.

Another thought. Are there any other big teams out there that do have obviously special tactics when it comes to goal kicks?

It would just be nice to be there for me though.

I don't appreciate my goalkeeper just needlessly hoofing it up pitch when my team haven't got good aerial ability, I'd rather he just played it to the full backs to get some attacking play going.

I think goalkeeper distribution takes into account other match factors irrespective of how you set it. So as an eg if you set GK distribution to defender collect (to get some attacking play going) the goalkeeper will look to do just that. However, if your team is under pressure, or, struggling with possession the goalkeeper tends to hoof it in order to either a) relieve the pressure, or b) start the attack further up the field as the team is struggling to get the ball out of their own half.

Archived