Foot preference - how does it really effect the game?

I couldn't find a thread about this, but I was wondering...

If a player is Right-Only footed, does that mean rating _____ gets reduced by 50% if he's using his left? If it's just Right, then is it like a 25% rating penalty? If ratings do take a penalty, which ones? etc etc

Thanks

I think that a player is more likely to use his stronger foot, say if its played to his left foot and he's right footed, he'll have to take an extra touch to move it onto his right foot before doing anything else, and the extra time needed could mean he gets tackled, misses the opportunity for a first time shot etc. I doubt that players rating's are directly punished, although I could be wrong.

I go on the assumption that attributes relative to 'foot' are as is for the strong foot and a scale of percentages for the weaker foot, 20/20 Either foot obviously being 100%/100%. It's anyone's guess what the actual percentages are for other strengths.

I have yet to come up with really good reason why a stronger 'weak' foot should restrict the development of unrelated attributes e.g. Stamina.

I have Anthony Pilkington in my team who is most definitely two-footed IRL and even the game has him as two-footed... However, in-game I've yet to see him use his "strong" right foot in any situation, be it shooting, passing, crossing, tackling, free-kicks, corners, practically anything at all that he has always used either foot for, is renowned for even IRL, he doesn't do in FM! It seems totally pointless to have a two-footed player use only one foot... (at the same time, one footed players regularly use their weaker foot in all manner of in-game situations...)

Archived