Newgens and Nationality

First off, I don't have FM11, I decided to skip from 2010 to 2012, but there was a feature which caught my eye and I haven't read a single thread about it since it was announced. Considering how many people had polarised opinions about it, it seems a bit strange.

So, has anyone seen any trends in newgens' ability in relation to nationality? The announcement said this:

Newgen revamp – Newly generated players are now created using a new system that looks at player templates for different styles of player, as well as taking national traits into account, to ensure that the types of player in the game are constant throughout the life of your own saved game.

Did this actually happen? Has anyone seen anything like this? Are the Dutch newgens better technically? Are the English newgens physical workhorses? Are the Brazilians all about joga bonito? Or maybe certain nationalities produce certain roles, such as Brazil with attacking wingbacks, Italy with registas, and conversely, perhaps they produce poor players in certain positions like England with goalkeepers?

If anyone has any information and data about this, I'll appreciate it, since this sounded very interesting when it was announced.

• SI Staff

This feature is in the game and like has been stated above, it gives some subtle nuances to the newgens. You cannot really enforce certain "stereotypes" for each nation but what we do is scan the real players for each nation at the start of the game and create templates which are used as a guideline when creating new players for each nation separately. Naturally not all players follow these national templates so there is still a bit of randomness thrown in.

On my last two saves I have noticed Brazil produce a ridiculous amount of quality Goalkeepers!

Other than that I haven't noticed too much in the way of nation specific type players. Other than South American's being described as Temperemental, which has been the same for the last couple of incarnations of the game anyway.

I have however noticed that the spread of qaulity Newgens has changed.

Brazil produce a ridiculous amount of quality players, my current side has 9 Brazilians in the first team. Argentina have the next best set of players. Spain, England and Germany produce very few quality regens. The French produce so great kids that never seem to develop. And the worst out of the lot have to be the Dutch, considering the quality of the Dutch side and Ajax's acadamy they produce horrible regens. In my current 20 year save I have yet to see one quality dutch regen. As a result of this some of the top national sides have slipped way down. The Dutch are not in the top 50 and England and Spain are struggling to remain in the top 20.

The only thing i notice in my FM2011 saves, is that the amount of good newgens from africa its huge. Too huge! LOL

In fact, in my last save... in 2020 in the top20, at least 10 are from africa, from countries like marocco, algeria egypt and nigeria. All the top teams in europe are buying them. It's kind weird to see Barcelona, Madrid, United, City, etc etc with so many africans players.

Cheers, I think I've found my answer.

Would I be right to believe that if I injected the game with 100 players from Vanatu with similar stats (great physicals for example), then the game will create a template that makes it more probable for players from Vanatu to be good physically?

Cheers, I think I've found my answer.

Would I be right to believe that if I injected the game with 100 players from Vanatu with similar stats (great physicals for example), then the game will create a template that makes it more probable for players from Vanatu to be good physically?

I wouldn't have thought that many Vanuatuan regens come through anyway tbh, so it would be pretty difficult to judge if there was a pattern or not

• SI Staff

The templates are done for each active nation at the start of the game based on the players loaded up. For inactive nations, we calculate continental templates to have some regional tendencies for attribute distribution in inactive nations as well.

Archived