Which is the WORST team there is??

Ok, so in FM11, I started with Weston Super Mare in BSS and since I didn't have too much time to play this year, I only ended up going 7 seasons deep into the save. By then, I had gotten a new stadium being built, acquired a great deal of money and was sitting happy in the championship. I figure it wouldn't have taken much longer to win the Premier League.

So for FM12, I wanted an even greater challenge. I had this idea of winning the Asian Champions League, Copa Libertadores and the UEFA Champions League all in the same save (maybe even African Champions League). So I started doing some research as to which Asian or South American or African team to go, hoping to find some shocking financial ruins and there are a couple but surprisingly few.

Although there are many teams which appear weak on paper, they somehow hold some kind of reputation in their own country and by taking them on the WORST starting rep I got was regional, but never unproven or even local like I did in the BSS. I even found an AMATEUR team in China I could take, but my rep somehow still ended up national!??

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking here is for suggestions of teams or leagues which people think would be the greatest challenge (outside Europe). Where will my reputation be at its lowest and finances in shambles such that I get the greatest possible challenge? Any ideas would be welcome.

You got Weston-Super-Mare from the BSS to the Championship in seven seasons and want to take a worse team for a bigger challenge?

Personally I would say you need to look at the way you approach the game rather than look for a different team, some suggestions to make it more of a challenge (Some of which you may or may not do already):

A) Easy one to start with, no cheating, no reloads, no use of the corner bug, no using genie scout/FMRTE or other 3rd party software that allow you to see CA/PA etc.

B) Don't use the staff search, use the job centre and only sign people who apply.

C) Don't use the player search, use your scouts and only sign players who have been scouted.

D) Don't sign players you have knowledge of from previous saves.

E) Don't sign players you have read about on the forums.

F) Create your own tactics & training schedules.

There are several others as well that I don't spring to mind atm.

You got Weston-Super-Mare from the BSS to the Championship in seven seasons and want to take a worse team for a bigger challenge?

It almost sounds like you think that's not that hard to do :p

Thanks for the suggestions. Out of the things you mentioned, I only used the staff search and downloaded training schedules but point taken. I'll definitely be changing that in FM12 to make things more interesting. Still hope I find what I'm looking for outside England though...

There was an Indian Team called Chimney Corner that used to get called the worst in the game. Not sure if that is still the case.

Edit: Whoops it's Northern Irish! My bad. Sorry!

Hahaha!! Darn, I got excited for a minute...

It almost sounds like you think that's not that hard to do :p

Thanks for the suggestions. Out of the things you mentioned, I only used the staff search and downloaded training schedules but point taken. I'll definitely be changing that in FM12 to make things more interesting. Still hope I find what I'm looking for outside England though...

Look in the Brazilian 3rd division for a nearly impossible challenge, some of the clubs can't even afford the wages for a squad of 16 players and rely on the chairmen or donations to keep them going.

Yeah, Brazilian 3rd division has some great challenges, mind-blowing competition formats too, complicated like no other, which I like. But I found some teams in Indonesia which seem interesting. What really bugs me is that in their 3rd tier, I pick the most obscure, semi-professional team, and I still get a national reputation. But then again, they are paying me 60 Euros a week and the quality of the squads is a disaster, so it seems like an uphill battle. Can't wait for Fm12 now!!

Yeah, Brazilian 3rd division has some great challenges, mind-blowing competition formats too, complicated like no other, which I like. But I found some teams in Indonesia which seem interesting. What really bugs me is that in their 3rd tier, I pick the most obscure, semi-professional team, and I still get a national reputation. But then again, they are paying me 60 Euros a week and the quality of the squads is a disaster, so it seems like an uphill battle. Can't wait for Fm12 now!!

Do you mean the team reputation? What is your starting manager status?

No, I mean MY reputation. I put it on Sunday League Footballer and for some Third Division Brazilian teams my rep comes out local. That's fine. But for an "obscure", semi-professional team in Indonesia, from the third tier, my rep starts as national. Makes little sense. I know it's not that big a deal but it bugs me.

Personally I would say you need to look at the way you approach the game rather than look for a different team, some suggestions to make it more of a challenge (Some of which you may or may not do already):

A) Easy one to start with, no cheating, no reloads, no use of the corner bug, no using genie scout/FMRTE or other 3rd party software that allow you to see CA/PA etc.

B) Don't use the staff search, use the job centre and only sign people who apply.

C) Don't use the player search, use your scouts and only sign players who have been scouted.

You shouldnt have to resort to imposing silly rules on yourself to make the game challenging, if SI just gave us a proper AI system people could just play how they want and still have a decent challenge.

Probably too much to hope for though.

Look in the Brazilian 3rd division for a nearly impossible challenge, some of the clubs can't even afford the wages for a squad of 16 players and rely on the chairmen or donations to keep them going.

Its not that hard if you know the league.

Low reputation teams to win the continental tournaments?

Mmm...For trying out the Libertadores, here are some suggestions from Argentina's 2nd division:

Aldosivi (Not so good team, but they have a good stadium that is used a lot by big teams for summer friendlies)

Defensa y Justicia (They barely escaped relegation playoff)

Atlanta (recently promoted to 2nd division this season. Only if you are going to try this in FM12)

Desamparados (Promoted from playoff, it's their first time in the 2nd division. Will be aviable in FM12 too)

Almirante Brown

Huracán (They haven't got a low reputation, but it'll have a messy economic situation in FM12)

Brown de Puerto Madryn (First time in the 2nd division too)

Boca Unidos (promoted last season and managed to stay)

Patronato (Same case above)

Or if you want non-league teams, you can try with any bolivian team. Non of them managed to win a Libertadores

Then I don't know which team I can recomend you for the other cases

Low reputation teams to win the continental tournaments?

Mmm...For trying out the Libertadores, here are some suggestions from Argentina's 2nd division:

Aldosivi (Not so good team, but they have a good stadium that is used a lot by big teams for summer friendlies)

Defensa y Justicia (They barely escaped relegation playoff)

Atlanta (recently promoted to 2nd division this season. Only if you are going to try this in FM12)

Desamparados (Promoted from playoff, it's their first time in the 2nd division. Will be aviable in FM12 too)

Almirante Brown

Huracán (They haven't got a low reputation, but it'll have a messy economic situation in FM12)

Brown de Puerto Madryn (First time in the 2nd division too)

Boca Unidos (promoted last season and managed to stay)

Patronato (Same case above)

Or if you want non-league teams, you can try with any bolivian team. Non of them managed to win a Libertadores

Then I don't know which team I can recomend you for the other cases

Sounds good, you know, I didn't even consider Argentina since it only went down to tier two, thought it wasn't low enough...

How would I take on a Bolivian team if their league isn't playable?

You shouldnt have to resort to imposing silly rules on yourself to make the game challenging, if SI just gave us a proper AI system people could just play how they want and still have a decent challenge.

One man's silly rules are another man's realistic gameplay.

OP: Brazilian Third Division is definitely the way to go. Just getting out of that division is a challenge for the ages.

Andy has just covered it, they aren't silly rules just realistic play.

While it might not be the hardest route to the top, and it was done a while ago, years ago (06 I think) I did a little experiement pitting East Stirlingshire (known for being awful back then) against the worst sides from a few of the worst nations (either in a friendly tournament, or I had to improvise with individual friendlies) and the Scots came out bottom.

The indonesian league is the worst I have ever played in in terms of quality.

There are rules meaning you have to play mostly Indonesian players which means even the top teams have to play large numbers of rubbish players. There are 3 leagues in FM, and at the bottom league all the teams have no training or youth facilities. Even in the top league it is only minimal.

TOTALLY agreed. It frustrates me to no end when people on the forum counter others' belief that the game is too easy by suggesting they not use certain functions that were DESIGNED TO BE USED. Not cheats, not fiddling with the editor, but actual game functions, such as search functions. It is just covering for the failure of the game to properly challenge the user.

Having said that, I do agree with not reloading, using tactical glitches etc

TOTALLY agreed. It frustrates me to no end when people on the forum counter others' belief that the game is too easy by suggesting they not use certain functions that were DESIGNED TO BE USED. Not cheats, not fiddling with the editor, but actual game functions, such as search functions. It is just covering for the failure of the game to properly challenge the user.

The game is too easy. Cougar's post doesn't deny that; just provides some reasonable and realistic suggestions for how to make it harder - though even those will only go part of the way toward creating a challenge.

For example, playing pretty much as he described I've just taken over a club in the Hungarian 8th tier in my current savegame, and within two weeks the same scout the club had when I took over has recommended to me at least two dozen free agents who are not only better than the players I have, but better than 95% of the players in my division. When I took over the club was 14th in the 16-team bottom division. Using only free agents my scout has recommended, I guarantee I'll win the league next season and in doing so already have a strong enough squad to go straight into the league above and win that too - while basically playing the game on autopilot.

What was the previous manager doing with this information? Why are these players free agents in the first place? What are ALL the other managers not only in my division but the divisions above (for which these players are more than good enough) doing with their time? I'm not even having to fight to sign these guys! Every other manager in the game should be capable of this basic level of competence - I'm not having to think, not even about tactics, because simply signing the players my scout recommends and praising them when they play well or criticising them when the play badly will be enough to win the league with a completely unmodified default 4-4-2. This lack of even the most basic AI is one of the clearest issues with the current game, particularly in terms of difficulty level, and lead to topics like this where even managing Weston Super Mare isn't enough of a challenge to stop you dominating the English leagues within ten seasons.

That said, complaining that the game is too easy while using functions (player search, staff search) which were included specifically to make the game quicker and easier is like complaining there's too much live football on TV while sitting down to watch your fifth match of the day. Yes, it's only a tiny part of the problem, but through your own actions you're contributing to the situation you so strongly dislike.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm really tossing up between Brazil and Indonesia at this point. I would think Indonesia would surely be a greater challenge but Andy's got me excited about Brazil now...is there anyone else who has managed in the Brazilian Third Division? Is it a worthy challenge?

The indonesian league is the worst I have ever played in in terms of quality.

There are rules meaning you have to play mostly Indonesian players which means even the top teams have to play large numbers of rubbish players. There are 3 leagues in FM, and at the bottom league all the teams have no training or youth facilities. Even in the top league it is only minimal.

Not to mention 90% of the teams' names start with 'Pers'

One man's silly rules are another man's realistic gameplay.

OP: Brazilian Third Division is definitely the way to go. Just getting out of that division is a challenge for the ages.

Then good for that person. But for the average person why should you have to restrict yourself from/manipulate area's of the game just to make it a challenge. Can you not see why its annoying for a lot of people?

Facts are the game should be at a level where by you can play it normally and still have a challenge.

Indeed i have just started a Southend save and am doing most of that ^^......i am actually enjoying seeing a win knowing its via a tactic i created and not one i downloaded

Don't concern yourself with your reputation being 'National'. Its only national in a league with so little reputation that the fact you know where throw-ins are taken from makes you famous. Your actual manager reputation is not impacted by being 'National' in Indonesia. If you quit that job and apply to BSS you'll go straight back to Unproven, because by British Standards you don't know anything about football...yet.

The game is too easy. Cougar's post doesn't deny that; just provides some reasonable and realistic suggestions for how to make it harder - though even those will only go part of the way toward creating a challenge.

For example, playing pretty much as he described I've just taken over a club in the Hungarian 8th tier in my current savegame, and within two weeks the same scout the club had when I took over has recommended to me at least two dozen free agents who are not only better than the players I have, but better than 95% of the players in my division. When I took over the club was 14th in the 16-team bottom division. Using only free agents my scout has recommended, I guarantee I'll win the league next season and in doing so already have a strong enough squad to go straight into the league above and win that too - while basically playing the game on autopilot.

What was the previous manager doing with this information? Why are these players free agents in the first place? What are ALL the other managers not only in my division but the divisions above (for which these players are more than good enough) doing with their time? I'm not even having to fight to sign these guys! Every other manager in the game should be capable of this basic level of competence - I'm not having to think, not even about tactics, because simply signing the players my scout recommends and praising them when they play well or criticising them when the play badly will be enough to win the league with a completely unmodified default 4-4-2. This lack of even the most basic AI is one of the clearest issues with the current game, particularly in terms of difficulty level, and lead to topics like this where even managing Weston Super Mare isn't enough of a challenge to stop you dominating the English leagues within ten seasons.

That said, complaining that the game is too easy while using functions (player search, staff search) which were included specifically to make the game quicker and easier is like complaining there's too much live football on TV while sitting down to watch your fifth match of the day. Yes, it's only a tiny part of the problem, but through your own actions you're contributing to the situation you so strongly dislike.

True, but surely we can't just accept things as they are and keep making things harder for ourselves but not using certain parts of the game? Wouldn't it be better if we could use the WHOLE PROGRAM as it was meant to be used and still find it challenging? Ideal world I know, but its kind of like constantly lapping up the same long term AI issues that SI serve up and just 'making do'. It would be nice if some changes were made and we didn't have to resort to such things.

True, but surely we can't just accept things as they are and keep making things harder for ourselves but not using certain parts of the game? Wouldn't it be better if we could use the WHOLE PROGRAM as it was meant to be used and still find it challenging? Ideal world I know, but its kind of like constantly lapping up the same long term AI issues that SI serve up and just 'making do'. It would be nice if some changes were made and we didn't have to resort to such things.

There's loads of parts of the game that I don't use yet I still consider myself a micro-manager. The various features are there to engage the many various ways that people will play or will want to play the game. You can play it quickly without ever doing very much or slowly while doing everything possible... you get out of the game as much as you put in, want a real challenge? Play LLM rules in Indonesia... (CA/PA of ~35 IIRC) the players are crap, the facilities are worse, the money is invisible (there isn't any :p), the AI arranged friendlies were bugged so they coincided with the English pre-season... two months before the Indonesian season started - dunno if that was fixed or not? Oh and to make it doubly difficult.... uncheck "add staff/players to clubs" when you set the game up... dude, really.. the staff are horrid... I was happy to have 2 star training in some areas... my best scout's JA/JP was 8/8...

oh, oh, and the best bit?

wanna know what that is?

well... the best bit about Indonesia is that 99% of the players are 5 foot nothing and then, occasionally, you come across a 6 foot plus striker...

(but he can't jump or head a ball and the 5'3" centre-half dominates him every time... :lol:)

Archived