Football Manager Handheld or Championship Manager 2007 (PSP)?

Having borrowed Championship Manager 2007 on the PSP off a friend for a few days, I have got into it and found a huge amount of features which FMH 2007 does not seem to have - such as a small amount of media interaction, and other more detailed things which are not there on FMH.

Having always been a religious Football Manager Player along with the PC Series, I feel awkward to come to the conclusion that on the PSP Football Manager has been outclassed.

What are your thoughts - those who have played both? Is Championship Manager really THAT good?

Having borrowed Championship Manager 2007 on the PSP off a friend for a few days, I have got into it and found a huge amount of features which FMH 2007 does not seem to have - such as a small amount of media interaction, and other more detailed things which are not there on FMH.

Having always been a religious Football Manager Player along with the PC Series, I feel awkward to come to the conclusion that on the PSP Football Manager has been outclassed.

What are your thoughts - those who have played both? Is Championship Manager really THAT good?

haha .. I spose this was always going to happen posting it on the FM Forums... But seriously - there are many more features on CM handheld?

All I want to know is does this sacrifice for other things, like less realism in the long run?

Thanks...

• SI Staff

People will always compare games in the same genre to each other - I make it a point never to comment on games developed by other people, I know how hard it is to make a game and to get one into the shops is a great achievement imho.

Everyone who makes a game has a different aim for it and a differing opinion on what makes the 'perfect' game for that genre.

FMH is what we desired it to be - its not meant to be a replica of the PC version and instead meant to be easier to pick up and play and much faster to play, for that reason some things have been simplified or left out from the PC version of the game.

If you want an example of how I think of this - would chess be a better game if it had more rules and complexity? - no, it'd be more complicated but not 'better', I want FMH to be the best game it can be - not just have a larger feature count. This imho ensures that the game suits the PSP in the best way possible, but thats my opinion and obviously everyone has to make up their own minds about such things.

PS> No FMH PSP is thoroughly tested to ensure that it remains as realistic as possible throughout the 30 seasons you can play during a single game - not least by me icon_wink.gif

I'd like to add that I think FMH07 has been the best psp game around so far, mainly own to the pick up and ply-ability of it, and also down to the fact that I believe the PSP is a struggling console anyway, there are very few what I would call very good games for it, theres an awful lot of 'average' games for it though. I believe this to be due to the poor control system on the psp, eg, a game that requires the analogue nub to move (FIFA08 for example) requires you to maintain your thumb in an un-natural bend for a length of time, not comfy!! I find I get very sore hands if playing anything other than a simple control based game like FMH for an extended amount of time... I think I just rambled on a bit too long...

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">struggling console </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is one thing which always confuses me - lots of people say the PSP is struggling, yet it has in excess of 30% of the handheld market.

To give this a comparison it makes the PSP market larger than the Xbox360 .....

I personally have faith in the PSP and believe that it'll be around and healthy for a long time icon_biggrin.gif

I agree Vane, the PSP is capable of so much more...

First off all I think Sony should allow homebrew. I

get there point about some homebrew enabling piracy

but they can't stop that anyway so. There are a lot

of homebrew developers with good ideas. I just recently released a TicTacToe game called PSP X 'n

O with a friend of mine icon_razz.gif

Secondly it think there should be a good downloadstore like i-tunes, with music, movies and games.

And better games off course, the PSP has never had an impressive line-up. As of now I'm only looking forward to God of War 2, The Simpsons, Manhunt 2, FMH08 and NFS Pro Street. Which are the only big top games for me.

I own both CM2007 and FMH2007. There's really only one thing to say, though. Championship Manager doesn't have a highlights option. If you don't want an instant result, you have to watch the whole game. Or you can have the commentary, which does the same thing, and lasts the same length of time, but without the ability to see anything.

I haven't played it much because of this mind boggling stupid omission. It's just no fun. And it's a shame, because elsewhere there's a lot to like. It's pretty much a slightly condensed PC game, far closer to its PC brother than FM Handheld manages, and so in many ways it would be an ideal companion game - FM for the quicker blasts, CM for a sedate, complex portable title.

There may be other problems, it's hard to say without giving it an in-depth play. Certainly the database is weaker (although there are far more national leagues to choose from) and the skin is a revolting mess.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

Certainly the database is weaker (although there are far more national leagues to choose from) and the skin is a revolting mess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In which game??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I personally think that the PSP will be remembered as not having lived up to its potential as a pure gaming console </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the best comments i've read in a long time. I'm a bit annoyed that Sony haven't really "unlocked" the PSP to its true potential and rushed a few things to release it earlier. Sony should make homebrews run on PSPs easily and support it rather than trying to prevent in and updating the PSP to counter-act it. Other things such as the web browser are poor and I wish things like that had been improved and tested before it was released instead of being ignored and just skimming over it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

People will always compare games in the same genre to each other - I make it a point never to comment on games developed by other people, I know how hard it is to make a game and to get one into the shops is a great achievement imho.

Everyone who makes a game has a different aim for it and a differing opinion on what makes the 'perfect' game for that genre.

FMH is what we desired it to be - its not meant to be a replica of the PC version and instead meant to be easier to pick up and play and much faster to play, for that reason some things have been simplified or left out from the PC version of the game.

If you want an example of how I think of this - would chess be a better game if it had more rules and complexity? - no, it'd be more complicated but not 'better', I want FMH to be the best game it can be - not just have a larger feature count. This imho ensures that the game suits the PSP in the best way possible, but thats my opinion and obviously everyone has to make up their own minds about such things.

PS> No FMH PSP is thoroughly tested to ensure that it remains as realistic as possible throughout the 30 seasons you can play during a single game - not least by me icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I agree, thanks. After reading all the comments on here, looking back I think they are two actually very different games, and the point about chess is a good comparison. The pick up and play element on Football Manager Handheld is excellant, and you feel that you are really motoring on through the seasons and you get going.

Then Championship Manager is slower, and like someone else said the matches are slower and there are a few flaws, as in any game. That is made up for some other decent features though.

So yeah basically they are different, and having got a bit further on Championship Manager I would lean towards FMH as the better game, not only is it better to pick up and play but it is easy to navigate around and as I said earlier the seasons roll on very fast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by innocentnaiveboy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

Certainly the database is weaker (although there are far more national leagues to choose from) and the skin is a revolting mess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In which game?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Championship Manager.

Archived