Releasing youngsters

Every year when you look at the list of youngsters, you will get a couple players who you know will never ever make it at your club.

I know that there are a lot of people who release them immediately but I've never been a fan of that. I guess I feel guilty when I do that to a youngster.

In my eyes, I want all the players who come through my academy to succeed at whatever level they end up playing. These kids have the best chance to succeed at my club so I feel obligated to bring them along as far as possible be selling them or releasing them.

I guess financially this isn't very smart but money is not an issue for me at the moment. Even if it was, I doubt I could be as cut throat as other people are when it comes to youngsters they deem "trash".

Also, I'm not a fan of releasing a youngster the day he turns 17; thats another thing that makes me feel guilty.

What I do with each player can vary depending on the player and my situation at my club, but I usually end up offering the lads a contract before selling them or releasing them.

So whats your justification for what you do with them?

Usually just let them leave unless they can go on to become a good league player. This thread got me thinking how there's the option to let the assistant/coach renew contracts for U19 players so I'll let him do that from now on and develop my youth to an extent and then sell up.

I usualy try bringing them through as well. Sometimes they suprise you. I send them out for a year on loan then cash in on them ;)

Back in the good old days you could chuck an average kid in the first team and there was a chance he would shine. Now you have to spend years tutoring a good youngster before he even stands a chance of making it.

Since I play in Spain, where there are B-teams, I let the academy youngsters develop until they become too old for the u18 team and then I decide whether to release them or keep them in the B team. I tutor them so that they stand a chance.

The youngsters I sign, prospects that may become good enough for me if they develop fast enough, I also keep them until they are too old for the u18 team. Tutoring them, training them, making them ready for 1st team play or if not ready, loan them out to other clubs.

I usualy try bringing them through as well. Sometimes they surprise you. I send them out for a year on loan then cash in on them ;)

Back in the good old days you could chuck an average kid in the first team and there was a chance he would shine. Now you have to spend years tutoring a good youngster before he even stands a chance of making it.

Yeah I forgot that part too. There are times when I write kids of and they end up being pretty good....much better than I ever thought they would be.

Since I play in Spain, where there are B-teams, I let the academy youngsters develop until they become too old for the u18 team and then I decide whether to release them or keep them in the B team. I tutor them so that they stand a chance.

The youngsters I sign, prospects that may become good enough for me if they develop fast enough, I also keep them until they are too old for the u18 team. Tutoring them, training them, making them ready for 1st team play or if not ready, loan them out to other clubs.

Unfortunately some of the B side's dont play any games. For example Barcelona Athletic dont play any real games so sending youngsters to the Athletic side actually hinders them rather than developing them.

In Spain you have to be brutal. The strict 25 man squad rule allied with a lack of reserve team football is a killer. Once they turn 19 a decision has to be made, they are either moved on or have to spend a few years on loan. It's a real pain to organise to be honest.

Being a club like Barca means you cant have passangers in your 25 man squad, you cant really take chances or slowley develop talents, they have to be good early on to stand any chance. It also means I have a lower turnover rate of players in my squad.

It's a shame as I have released/sold some real gems through the years. Players that would have in other leagues would have been given more of chance to develop.

I feel bad about releasing players on their 17th birthday, so I usually hold my round of cuts at the end of every season and at the beginning of the new one.

Only the completely useless kids get the axe on the very first day at the club... No need to keep around a player with most attributes <5... All the others I keep around in the U19 squad until they get promoted to the Reserve team... there I just try to offload for peanuts whoever I can, and I let those with no offers stay til their contract run out.

Unless of course I need a spot in the B-team for some better player from the senior squad...

Currently managing Barça and the 25-men rule, plus the U19 thing make it really really difficult developing decent youngsters...

If you want to play them, you need to "waste" a valuable spot, so it's mostly Cup games for them...

Or you can loan them out, but they won't be HG anymore, thus making them less valuable in the future due to the CL regulation

Basically it's a lose-lose situation for all the youngsters who aren't ready for first team football at age 19... Quite honestly the below average academy graduate is doomed under such circumstances.

I think that should be changed a bit for next year... After all a guy who has played a couple of years at a Top Club Academy should at least get a bit of reputation, enough to get a second chance somewhere on the lower rungs of the ladder...

Instead most youngsters, even decentish ones, end up rotting on the free agents list until they retire.

Barca athletic plays games, they are in the adelante, if you have the second division leagues (B1-4) then you can use alot more of the B teams

Ah right, I took over 4 seasons in so Barca Athletic must have been relegated from the 2nd div. I only have the top 2 leagues loaded. I will remember this for next time.

Call me heartless if you will, but I release every young player that comes in naturally when his youth contract is up or nearly up. I've just never had a good youth player come through despite several seasons with a state of the art youth facilities + a youth academy and worldwide reputation. I have to buy all my youth team in from abroad as I never get youth players who could make it even in league 1 nevermind above through my own ranks.

Unfortunately some of the B side's dont play any games. For example Barcelona Athletic dont play any real games so sending youngsters to the Athletic side actually hinders them rather than developing them.

In Spain you have to be brutal. The strict 25 man squad rule allied with a lack of reserve team football is a killer. Once they turn 19 a decision has to be made, they are either moved on or have to spend a few years on loan. It's a real pain to organise to be honest.

Being a club like Barca means you cant have passangers in your 25 man squad, you cant really take chances or slowley develop talents, they have to be good early on to stand any chance. It also means I have a lower turnover rate of players in my squad.

It's a shame as I have released/sold some real gems through the years. Players that would have in other leagues would have been given more of chance to develop.

To be honest, if they are not good enough to become Adelante or BBVA players by the time I have to loan them or keep them, but good enough for the B team, it doesn't really matter that they stop developing at that point. Then I like to have them around rather than releasing them - which more often than not is a career ender.

I like following the careers of the players I sell or let go that I wanted to become good enough but who failed either because of my or their own inadequacies.

There's a very good reason for getting rid of the dross as early as possible and that is because they take precious playing time away from your real talents. Get rid and get rid early. It's brutal but, to be honest, if I had more control they would never have made it to U18 anyway so I don't feel guilty.

I normally buy in an U18 squad if I can each year. I get as many genuine talents as possible and use my U18 players to fill the gaps. If I bring in 2 decent strikers then I might keep one of my own but any other striker will get the axe. If I can't find a DL then my own youngster will remain to cover that slot until I can find a decent DL.

I'm ruthless, I have a clear out as soon as the new intake comes in. The only time I'll keep a player I don't think will make is when I'm short in that position in the U18s or Reserves.

I get rid of anyone who I deem to be lacking the potential to make it at my team, which most years, is everyone who comes into the club. What annoys me is why these kids were all offered contracts in the first place when some of them are utterly garbage. That said, there's nothing better than seeing the message from your assistant about the new intake and clicking on a player's name and seeing a 15 year old who clearly has massive potential.

It depends on my club and facilities really. At Dartford I tend to release them when their contracts are up as they are all garbage, but at Man City I've sold a good few million pounds worth of players, some of which have gone on to become international players. Worth keeping them if they have even a little bit of potential, what with sell on clauses and all.

I always keep my intake, regardless of whether they'll make it or not. They'll ultimately benefit from the facilities and staff at the club (Chelsea), and then have more chance of making it to a higher league than originally anticipated. They get as much game time as they can in the U18s, because those who have the potential to make are automatically placed into the reserve side to give them more of a competitive challenge.

I always keep my intake, regardless of whether they'll make it or not. They'll ultimately benefit from the facilities and staff at the club (Chelsea), and then have more chance of making it to a higher league than originally anticipated. They get as much game time as they can in the U18s, because those who have the potential to make are automatically placed into the reserve side to give them more of a competitive challenge.

I usually get rid of the reserve team (when playing in England), so the youngsters play both reserves and u18s (u19s? don't remember), and therefore gain more match fitness. You have a full reserve team AND youth team?

Yeah, only missing a defender in the reserve team down to him making the step up to the first team so a player from the youth gets a step up too. It ultimately works out better than over-playing them or releasing them straight away.

I feel bad about releasing players on their 17th birthday, so I usually hold my round of cuts at the end of every season and at the beginning of the new one.

Only the completely useless kids get the axe on the very first day at the club... No need to keep around a player with most attributes <5... All the others I keep around in the U19 squad until they get promoted to the Reserve team... there I just try to offload for peanuts whoever I can, and I let those with no offers stay til their contract run out.

Unless of course I need a spot in the B-team for some better player from the senior squad...

Currently managing Barça and the 25-men rule, plus the U19 thing make it really really difficult developing decent youngsters...

If you want to play them, you need to "waste" a valuable spot, so it's mostly Cup games for them...

Or you can loan them out, but they won't be HG anymore, thus making them less valuable in the future due to the CL regulation

Basically it's a lose-lose situation for all the youngsters who aren't ready for first team football at age 19... Quite honestly the below average academy graduate is doomed under such circumstances.

I think that should be changed a bit for next year... After all a guy who has played a couple of years at a Top Club Academy should at least get a bit of reputation, enough to get a second chance somewhere on the lower rungs of the ladder...

Instead most youngsters, even decentish ones, end up rotting on the free agents list until they retire.

Is this unique to Spain? Or FM11?

In small clubs with no (proper) youth facilities I keep them all so the youth team won't be filled with grey players. All are pish so I don't expect anybody to get anywhere, but I will keep them until they are automatically moved up to the reserves. Those who have done well will then get offered a contract. The rest are released. Usually all.

In bigger clubs you get some good youths, so I keep a lot more then. I don't like releasing players who can get somewhere either with me or at a high level. I want to give them a chance. But at that level I'm also buying in good youths, so there is less space in the youth team. But if they have a couple of stars they are likely to be kept.

Is this unique to Spain? Or FM11?

It's a UEFA rule...

every day spent on loan is a day that doesn't count toward the 3-years-time at the club a player needs to be HG in UEFA competitions.

Some FAs might have different arrangments (in Norway the time on loan still counts as time spent at the "parent" club) but the general rule is "where he plays, there he's homegrown" regardless of who actually owns the player

Keep them til their youth contracts are up and then have a clear out at the end of each season before the new intake. I did keep them in one FM and found I got less new players so I don't keep too many anymore, just enough to make a squad.

The way I see it the more players I can try the more chance of getting better ones that I can use or at least sell for profit.

i keep them for a competitive youth squad. And Plus i enjoy seeing my ex youngsters enjoying a career as high up as they can. Sometimes sell them for about a million. Plus they offer an option of cover when they reach a couple of stars. Theres the rare ocasion you need it

i used to release them as soon as i thought about it, now i keep ALL young players until they are 20/21, after they are too old for the under 19's they are put out on loan or to feeder clubs until they either can fill a squad place or are good enough to be taken up by another club, thats not to say it always works, some players will just never be good enough for any league, but in the past 4 seasons only 6 of the players i have released have not found new clubs at some level and retired completely from the game, thats out of 20 odd players.

I don't actively release players that won't make the grade, I just tend to ignore them and let them leave when their youth contract expires.

The only time I've released them is if they injure a key player in training/play badly in a CC game.

• 1 month later...

I'll keep a hold of anyone who has a chance of making it at any level and will do my best to get them loans to smaller clubs to get their interest up, but the absolute no-hopers just get released.

My current cut-off for uselessness is 1 star.

I try to sell or loan out anyone who lacks potential. minimum 3 stars.

If their contract is expiring soon may let them stay out their contract.

One thing is I always make sure my youth team can play matches.

I rarely release players unless they get paid to much for their quality.

If I am a bigger club where money isn't a vast worry I tend to give them 6 months in the U18s. See if anyone makes an impact, if not get rid. If I am playing my lower league clubs I get rid soon as. Like some others mentioned, every so often I do have a look and see how they are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

90% of my playing time in the last two years are numerous Athletic Bilbao saves. I keep everyone as long as possible, just ship them to B or C team. Idea is that I want B team to get promoted to Second and C team to Third division. That way in the future I can have players promoted while using my facilities and play games for their appropriate standard without the need to loan them out.

90% of my playing time in the last two years are numerous Athletic Bilbao saves. I keep everyone as long as possible, just ship them to B or C team. Idea is that I want B team to get promoted to Second and C team to Third division. That way in the future I can have players promoted while using my facilities and play games for their appropriate standard without the need to loan them out.

Ive found its more or less impossible to get Basconia or any other C Teams promoted to Segunda B. Since they dont play real games in the Tercera, its based on reputatition, and they are never rated highly enough. I think the programmers couldn't really be bothered with the re-jigging the leagues that could result from both B and C teams being active in the system, so I would be surprised if Basconia, R Madrid C, Sevilla C or whoever end up in Segunda B even if a humana manager has input. COuld be wrong though!

In my last save I managed to win La Liga 3 years running with Athletic's top team and also win Segunda A with the B team in the same seasons. Most of the B Team squad from the first year made the transition to the A Team by Year 3, so fair to say it worked out quite well!

As for the regens, usually I got 10 a season of which 2 would be recommended (4-year deal), 2 not bad (2 years), 3 probably not worth it (1 year just to get them into full-time training and see, think this has changed for FM12 anyway?) and 3 who were dreadful who I released on day 1.

Anyone know if the quality and quantity of plaers in your U-19 squad affects the next intake, or is it just based on the infrastructure/size/reputation factors?

i let anyone who isnt good enough go ... imo its better for them... if they arent going to get playing time with me , they are wasting my time and theirs... they will have better luck elsewhere.. also... the more players you have, the higher the workload on the coaches which means less time spent developing those who have a chance..

its tough love, and best for everyone :)

The late, great SFraser really opened my eyes to the benefits of ruthlessly cutting deadweight from youth and reserve sides in his Guide to Developing Youngsters. It's also easier now with the 'youth candidates' selection to eliminate chaff before they even sign a youth contract.

Among other benefits to a smaller well-managed squad (some already mentioned):

- easier to evaluate overall squad depth and strengths

- more playing time for your best prospects

- more coaching focus

- clearer targets for tutoring

Before reading that guide, my youth squad was pretty much 'set it and forget it' until the next season. Now I'm fully engaged in player development at every level, and the game is more fun and rewarding.

The late, great SFraser really opened my eyes to the benefits of ruthlessly cutting deadweight from youth and reserve sides in his Guide to Developing Youngsters. It's also easier now with the 'youth candidates' selection to eliminate chaff before they even sign a youth contract.

Among other benefits to a smaller well-managed squad (some already mentioned):

- easier to evaluate overall squad depth and strengths

- more playing time for your best prospects

- more coaching focus

- clearer targets for tutoring

Before reading that guide, my youth squad was pretty much 'set it and forget it' until the next season. Now I'm fully engaged in player development at every level, and the game is more fun and rewarding.

I've been doing this as well - now I'm trying to blend this with the sort of approach Ackter takes by loaning out the fringe youths. The key to SFraser's approach really was making sure everyone gets the appropriate amount and level of football, I think - I keep the small squad size and reliance on youth, whilst paying for it (I hope) in transfer fees for all the 2.5* players.

I'm guessing Ackter does exactly the same; I know how he likes a youngster ;)

I generally keep anyone who it says has the potential to at least be a good League 1 player (I'm a league 1 team, Huddersfield). If I go up, I'll still keep them, as if I go down, they can still be handy (alternatively if someone makes a good enough offer, I might sell them. Obviously if they're tipped to be better than just a good League 1 player, I keep them. Anything below a good League 1 player and I generally get rid. I may occasionally keep a couple of players who could become decent League 1 players, but yeah, as a League 1 team in particular, I generally keep anyone with the potential of being a good League 1 player and above.

Archived