parents divorced bought online version, downloaded it at my moms house, can i download at my dads as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wardog:

isnt it illeagal to download games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daffyg says in the title that he *bought* the online version. So it's not illegal downloading/piracy.

I'd take it up with whoever you bought it off (I don't know who distributes this) as this forum is more about the playing of the game than the buying of it.

It sounds to me though like there's a limit on how many computers you can put it on. Much like itunes works with buying songs. There are only so many computers you can put it on due to piracy protection. I could be wrong though.

Apparently you are supposed to be able to install it on two machines. I don't use a downloaded version so can't really help you, but have a dig around the Program Files folder where it installed where I expect there would be something that explains how to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bullion1:

i reckon when you bought it online, you bought the liscense for ONE computer, or your breaking copyright laws. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in that case can you put it on ONE pen drive and transfer the files from one computer to the other, only have the files on one computer at any one tiem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bullion1:

i reckon when you bought it online, you bought the liscense for ONE computer, or your breaking copyright laws. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in that case can you put it on ONE pen drive and transfer the files from one computer to the other, only have the files on one computer at any one tiem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, what?

That would mean you've played the game on 2 separate computers when the license only allows for 1.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

in that case can you put it on ONE pen drive and transfer the files from one computer to the other, only have the files on one computer at any one tiem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the game needs to be installed to work as it uses the registry. You can move savegames etc. around on flashdrives, but not the game itself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

Sorry, what?

That would mean you've played the game on 2 separate computers when the license only allows for 1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as only one person is playing the game at any one time, I believe SI are fairly cool about this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

Sorry, what?

That would mean you've played the game on 2 separate computers when the license only allows for 1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely it's just like using a CD. You can have it installed on more than one computer but you can only play on one at a time with that disc?

I think someone has said already that you get to install it on two computers when you buy it. Maybe you've installed it twice over somehow? So it counts as two uses of the liscence?

Sorry, what?

i'm sure if you bought a new computer after playing the game on your old computer then you would play the game on that as well. which would mean having played teh game on 2 seperate computers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glyn:

No, the game needs to be installed to work as it uses the registry. You can move savegames etc. around on flashdrives, but not the game itself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aaah ok

Sorry, what?

i'm sure if you bought a new computer after playing the game on your old computer then you would play the game on that as well. which would mean having played teh game on 2 seperate computers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My mom bought a new computer and i just copied the game over and put it not the new one and it works fine.

I do remember reading somewhere that you are allowed to have up to 3 back up coupies of things like CD's and Games....

Does that count for FM on CD as well?

I mean I've got FM installed on my laptop and PC, does that mean I'm breaking copyright laws???!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by creature_from_ottawa:

that is called piracy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually its not. he couldnt install it so how could it be piracy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I do remember reading somewhere that you are allowed to have up to 3 back up coupies of things like CD's and Games.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i do know that its within our rights to make 1 back up copy.

3 i'm not sure.

if developers stop us from making back up copies then we should be able to get a free replacement if our CD stops working.

dont know if they would do this but i do remember my dad complaining eyars ago to a company that the game only allowed 3 installs. so they gave him a new CD which allowed unlimited installs.

I'm sure I read a question a while ago about two brothers who wanted to play on two different computers, in the same house.

I remember that SI were cool with that.

This doesn't sound too dissimilar, but would be harder to do as you don't have the physical game.

Archived