Position settings

I think there is a difference between a formation and a tactic. The formation is just a rough outline of the positions your team will take on the pitch, the tactics and individual instructions give the players the specifics that define their movement.

The set positions also tie in with the positions that the players have, if you add new ones then the positions of the players will also need to be altered.

Just out of interest, what new positions were you thinking of?

No new positions,just more freedom.I'm not sure you understood,I'll explain with a pic...

1313240855644660.jpg

This is a 4-3-3 as it is in the game.What I want is more freedom like this...

1313241166252481.jpg

I want to move them around freely...Instructions can do that but only to an extent,this way it would be way more precise,not to mention tactical freedom.

No new positions,just more freedom.I'm not sure you understood,I'll explain with a pic...

This is a 4-3-3 as it is in the game.What I want is more freedom like this...

1313241166252481.jpg

I want to move them around freely...Instructions can do that but only to an extent,this way it would be way more precise,not to mention tactical freedom.

The position makes no difference once the match has kicked off, players in real life don't run to a blade of grass because thats where you think they should stand, they are constantly on the move.

In your picture player 5 is simply a DL, player 2 a WBR, player 8 a MC, player 4 a DC with cover role, player 3 a DC with stopper role, player 6 a MC with holding midfielder role etc etc.

FM gives you six general areas from back to front (Sweeper, Defenders, wingbacks/DMs, midfield, attacking midfield/wing & strikers), this is more than enough when combined with roles to cover pretty much all gameplay you see in real life. There is a little more work to do with horizontal movement and more roles could be added but we don't need any more positions.

I'm not saying new positions,I just don't want them firmly fixed in a box.

They aren't "firmly fixed in a box"

The position just communicates to the ME & the user the general area of the field the player is to work in, this is then "adjusted" by the use of roles, team orders, player orders & shouts.

Your second picture might look different but underneath it is simply the same as what we already have.

Do you think a manager draws the first or the second one when explaining it to the players?I'm a manager in the game,I want to draw with freedom not tick boxes.

I understand what you're saying,but why stop there when it can be much more precise and detailed.

Do you think a manager draws the first or the second one when explaining it to the players?I'm a manager in the game,I want to draw with freedom not tick boxes.

I understand what you're saying,but why stop there when it can be much more precise and detailed.

Each manager is different and works in a different way in real life.

Basically what you are saying though is you don't want to change the way it works now you just want an improved display for the user to provide better feedback.

I don't see a problem with that, atm some users seem to be confused by the fact that the formation/shape you see is "without ball/defensive". Improving the display to show a defensive and offensive shape + the difference in shape between roles/orders for the same general position would probably be helpful for many.

Whether is can be done or not is another story.

I think it depends how they are used. A graphical representation of the tactics/roles might be good to use with your own club, but you should be the only person who can see it. The formations you get in the pre match build up should stay as they are, as basic formations.

Archived