Transfers real-life vs FM: Fabregas :(

Inspired by real-life, I decided to follow what was happening and try and sign Fabregas for Barca in this summer window. However, Arsenal did better, came 2nd in the league, still lost Carling cup final :p, and Fabregas also signed a new deal.

I tried to copy the press releases, releasing two statements in 2010 and 2011, first stating that I admired Fabregas and then starting to talk about being interested, and in the summer finally stating that I am doing everything I can to sign him. Whilst Cesc was delighted with these releases, he did not become unsettled, nor did he try to force a transfer - all he did was to try and impress me in the next match.

As soon as I had a new transfer budget assigned, I started trying. Initial offers of £30M, £40M, £50M (!!) were flat out rejected, and Cesc didn't seem to mind!!

After lots of haggling, the final damage was:

- £90M up front

- £15M over the next 48 months

- £5M after 40 games

- 40% of next profit

- a 3.5star rated 18 year old defender (Sergi Gomez, not sure if regent or real)

And he wanted £235k/wk in wages! And £8M signing on fee, and £12M for his agent!

Grrr! Didn't bother with A Sanchez in the end, focusing on youth players instead.

Transfers in FM have always seemed generally much too expensive to me, at least the non AI ones. I would really like to see a big switch up in the sophistication level of transfers in the new one, with a general lowering of prices, longer sagas played out in the media, player power increasing, having it easier to facilitate swap deals when clubs don't have much money-including being able to offer half of a players rights (co-ownership) in Italy as part of a transfer package.

I'd also like to be able to be able to bid for two or more players as part of one deal, i.e I offer a 10 mill player for two of their young players etc.

Did you put in an offer before Cesc signed a new deal?

The only reason I ask is, a player nearing the end of his contract is much more unlikely to sign a new deal with his current club if there is interest and solid offers from other clubs before-hand (as in real life). Plus, their value actually increases in-game once they sign a new contract so if you do try to sign them, you'll have to pay out.

Archived