Coping with Relegation

Just a thread to see what approaches people take when dealing with relegation.

Personally, either when my team is relegated or I take over a team that has just gone down I prefer to do nearly a complete overhaul of the squad and bring in a lot of new young players and boot out those on excessive wages for the division.

However on my game, in the first season Liverpool have been relegated from the premiership with 36 points and I decided to take over them, despite seeing that the majority of their squad are transfer listed by request, I am still contemplating keeping most of them here against their will (shhhh don't tell Sepp Blatter or I'll have to hear his 'modern slavery' rant again). Does anybody else take this approach to a recently relegated side?

Also what is your success rate when trying to bounce straight back up? When overhauling the squad for youngsters I am usually able to make a comfortable play-off spot at least, automatic promotion depends if I am lucky enough to stumble across a fantastic regen.

ive only been relegated 1 time, from the prem back to the championship after one season.

but i did my overhaul once we got to the prem, got loads of young players with potential, who wernt just good enough for the premier league just yet but they were more than good enough for the championship.

we won the league, the first year in the prem did them good, good experience

Edit - i mean we won the championship the season after we were relegated not the premier league. The first season in the premier league when we were relegated did the young players a world of good, good expeirence against some of the best teams in the world.

I generally enjoy the challenge of taking over recently relegated clubs, full of players who either want to leave or are just attracting so much attention from higher teams.

There is always that one guy though who is on a ridiculous wage but nobody will buy him :-(

Meh relegating is not a thing to brag , but if u play a journeyman or like to take lower clubs and get them to prem league then resign and take another one and do the same thing u will hit rock bottom at some point , i always try to offload the moaners and try to bring youth or lower league players who cope well in that division and thel sell them if i get promotion but my main interest is finding a striker , because i always play with just one forward on relegated teams because of the moral its easier to get in a slump then have a impressive streak so building the moral by not loosing is the main problem then in the winter if i feel comfortable i switch the tactic , thats my tactic hope will help you.

i usually keep the same group of players and it works well for me. Look at newcastle in real. After a well fought first prem season with barnet i was relegated to the championship. I try and get players to sign wage relegation drop clauses. Saying that you get parachute payments anyway.ute payments anyway.

On FM09 I took over Aston Villa who were in the relegation zone despite having a few good players. There was 10 games left but they were 16 points from safety it came to a point where the side were not relegated mathematically but were virtually down. So I sold the top five players for £50 million and reinvested it all before we got relegated. I signed Premiership class players due to arrive the following season as the players do not recognise you are about to be relegated. It was a risk but with the class players that were signed it was easy to be promoted again at the first time of asking.

I think a major overhaul is a big risk. If you can keep some of your better players, and sell the high earners while bringing in good youth and one or two good loans, promotion is attainable without breaking the bank either. I took over relegated Bolton on a long term save where I was controlling another team, leaving Oldham. Managed to sign some good free agents, and got promoted first time. Left the season after, but they stayed in the league for a couple of years before getting relegated again.

On FM09 I took over Aston Villa who were in the relegation zone despite having a few good players. There was 10 games left but they were 16 points from safety it came to a point where the side were not relegated mathematically but were virtually down. So I sold the top five players for £50 million and reinvested it all before we got relegated. I signed Premiership class players due to arrive the following season as the players do not recognise you are about to be relegated. It was a risk but with the class players that were signed it was easy to be promoted again at the first time of asking.

It would be nice if players could recognise this in the game as it kind of makes a mockery of it all! Im sure it would be tough to code but surely if a team is all but relegated a player would think twice about joining them!

It would be nice if players could recognise this in the game as it kind of makes a mockery of it all! Im sure it would be tough to code but surely if a team is all but relegated a player would think twice about joining them!

I agree it would be much better if these things were recognised.

I agree it would be much better if these things were recognised.

Much more beneficial the other way around when going back up from in my case Liga Adelante to Liga BBVA, I hated that I knew I was up, but until reset day (July 10th in Spain), I couldn't sign players good enough for the top league.

As for dealing with relegation, I also only make a few changes, usually some youngsters who are a few seasons from competing in the top league, they will come for cheap and you can use them to build a better team in the future while keeping a few of the players from the squad together, actually dismantling the team seems to end up more often with bad runs of form. If you keep the same core you end up being more able to keep the team together.

Archived