World map feature!

I'm going to re-post this idea from one old internal forum to see your thoughts.

OK, something that I always wanted to see is a world map. I believe that if properly implemented it could be used in big areas of the game and could be advertised as a big addition to the new versions of FM.

I'm not talking about a real-geographical one with inner administrative borders or something, just an outline of every country and when you click on/select from a list let's say Jamaica you can filter the location of its' cities in the database, clubs etc.

It could be used in a number of areas in the game:

1) You could see where is your new club and are there any other clubs in your city or area. It would be really great if you could filter by division and therefore see more or less clubs.

2) It could be used for a better overview of your scouting knowledge (lighter/darker color).

3) The user could see what countries did he visit with his club and maybe the most popular destinations (maybe a darker color could be used if you often draw German clubs and play your pre-season friendlies there). This would be a great mini-challenge like scouting!

4) A screen where you could see where are your current players coming from (could be fun if you have a squad loaded with foreign players), then an overview from which country were all the players bought/raised in your career and with which country/nationality did you have the most of your transfer dealing.

5) When you draw your Champions League group you could see where are your opponents.

6) Screen that would show what countries you visited as a manager (either by managing a club somewhere, traveling with your club or by visiting matches).

7) Affiliated clubs could also be shown on the map highlighted as your "outposts".

8) If you are a smaller amateur/semi-pro club it could be better if you could see your surrounding cities and maybe buy/loan players from there (club locations are taken into account AFAIK).

9) In the national team qualifiers you could see the host nation and your opponents or the countries that already qualified (gold-host, green-qualified, blue-still has a chance, red-out of the race etc.).

10) When issuing a scouting assignment the player can select Nigeria, Cameroon and Ghana for scouting together just by clicking on them.

11) You could see a highlighted area in your country from which are you getting the most of your youngsters.

Should I say that with the development of handheld versions of FM such as the one for the iPad, their GPS features could be implemented as well. Let's say you're on vacation in Greece and you open up your FM on the iPad and see what clubs are there in the vicinity so you can manage one of them. As far as I know, the geographical coordinates are already in the database, they should just be used in that way.

I'm certain that we can find more uses for this, if you have any suggestions please add them to the list.

I believe that this feature would make the game more fun and more graphical in nature. What do you guys think about this idea?

Cheers!

Admitedly it's not hard to wiki info on places of your clubs and opponents, so there'll be people wondering at the point of it, but there are a few things I'd really love to do occasionally with such a feature.

This comes up every year, but doesn't mean it shouldn't come up every year. I love this idea and think it would add a really interesting feeling to the game, pulling it out from spreadsheet-land and giving it some worldly flavor.

• SI Staff
I'm very much in favour of this, although I vaguely remember a reason for not being able to include it.

Finding possible map systems to use or designing our own map system are large stumbling blocks.

Also, something that fits in with the game without looking gash would be nice.

Would it be wise to say that I once passed a geography test in school due to CM 01/02? :D

One of the questions was to name 5 countries from Eastern Africa and I was lucky to have Taribo West in my Celtic side so I kept track of his Nigerian games all of the time, hahah! :D Not to mention that I knew and still do all of the flags in the world when they were introduced because of CM/FM, it proved handy as well! :D

You wouldn't have to go into too much detail.

Something like that?

As long as it shows exactly where each club is based using co-ords, then yes.

You wouldn't need to go into the detail shown in that last map though.

As long as it shows exactly where each club is based using co-ords, then yes.

You wouldn't need to go into the detail shown in that last map though.

It wouldn't take too long to do.

You have FM scouts for each country right?

SI do a map for each continent placing each country. They create a template for each scout to use. Then give say the map of Germany to the German scout. He names each region and gives the co-ords for that region. Each team already has co-ords and this would add each club to their respective region in the coutnry.

A few small tweaks here and there and it would work, maybe.

Those maps look horrible, if this was to be added SI would have to design their own maps that fit in wit the skin, otherwise it would look a bit dodgy imo.

:lol:

I didn't mean use these maps. Something along those lines. The maps don't need to be in great detail though.

Well i never meant those particular maps, just that style of map :p

I agree. I've got an image in my head what they could look like that would fit in with the skin. Might throw something together later on and see how it looks.

• Administrators
Finding possible map systems to use or designing our own map system are large stumbling blocks.

This to be honest.

Liked this last year, and still like it today.

Why not utilise the co-ordinates and locations to apply geographical constraints to sides like Bolivia's x thousand ft above sea level advantage or Luch's ridiculous flights for away games...?

might be wee bit off topic but could you ever use the maps to help implement fatigue for continental games. ie real madrid playing a french team while barca playin a russian team. the barca team would return more tired after the game due to longer flight time

might be wee bit off topic but could you ever use the maps to help implement fatigue for continental games. ie real madrid playing a french team while barca playin a russian team. the barca team would return more tired after the game due to longer flight time

That already happens in the game.

"Hey lets make a computer game!"

"It would be too hard".

"Oh well."

And CM never happened.

"Well, CM is ready for release!"

"It looks like a spreadsheet"

"Lets forget it then".

Damn.

How about a "Maybe some day?"

uh, i really think that the world map feature will be in FM2012. For me... Ter's answer is just him trying to fool us all! :)

uh, i really think that the world map feature will be in FM2012. For me... Ter's answer is just him trying to fool us all! :)

And man united will definitely be not signing wesley sneijder ;)

Anyways, I have to say that in the time that I've played FM, I've learned so much about different countries and geography (even impressed a girl by figuring out she was from azerbaijan...she didn't think I'd even know about that country :D).

If this feature was implemented well, it would be an amazing addition to the game in my opinion.

Well no doubt you'd have to come up with your own map system, I would like if it started slightly more zoomed, and then zoomed into the location where of the team you're playing, showing say the flag of the country, or team crest, a dot for the location and the country and some adjascent countries being all you see of the map after it's zoome in.

There's plenty of room in my eyes on the "preview" for a small map on the top-right. It could go where the team logo goes at the moment, while still keeping room for rules, venue, injuries etc. You'd likely have to move the right-hand fixtures thing to the left, and perhaps limit the map only to certain resolutions or give an option to turn it on or off for those that don't like it, but default it on above a certain resolution. On my screen though I could see the map taking up a quarter of the screen and still having plenty of room for everything else, and you don't even need it that big for it to "work".

• 4 months later...

Archived