Getting rid of older big earners.

Guys

Started a game as juventus and i have Luca Toni on my books who is on £115000 a week.

He is contracted to 2013 and i have tried selling him and loaning him for £0 and still no one will bid .

Im in my second season and i dont want to pay him for another 18 months .

Any Ideas

Cheers Gulp

Oh trust me, I know about having to shift old, deteriorating players on huge wages when they won't willingly go and no-one will buy them. I play as Liverpool. Carragher and Gerrard will always ask for £90k-£100k per week even when they're 36. I've tried literally everything I can think of but nothing works. I guess the only thing you can do is just run his contract down. Carragher's £85k p/w contract runs out in a few months and it'll be a great, relieving moment when I get him off my books, and Gerrard's £95k p/w expires in a year.

If you don't play him then have you tried offering him absurd Appearance/Goal fees in a trade-off for a much lower Basic Wage? I remember a game of mine where an ageing regen who I didn't play and still had 3 years left, was still asking for £145k p/w because he has a gigantic reputation. I managed to whittle that down to £55k per week with a £200k appearance fee seeing as I literally never played him at all in any capacity.

It is virtually impossible to get rid of Luca Toni. He accepted termination of his contract multiple times in my game, but the board rejected every time. No-one wants him, and he is useless on the pitch. He is a good tutor, though - so he's worth roughly 10% of his salary...

The less you play them, the less they'll ask in wages in the future.

You could try not playing him for the next 6 months then offering him a lower wage for the same amount of time.

Might work, might not.

or maybe, cos he's on 115k a week, just maybe you should consider PLAYING HIM!!! Nobody want's to buy a player who they only see training... and he might actually surprise you with some scintillating performances...

I keep harping on about how my (now 1star) 33 yr old left-winger is my best player but he really is, I don't care that my coaches tell me he's "not good enough for the Hereford United squad" or "a replacement will be needed sooner rather than later" - the guy is awesome!

Play him... :thup:

I think most people starting a Juve save will try to fit him in. But given his stats and how the ME works he performs just as good as a statue. If you want a top performing team in Serie A he is not the one to do the wonders.

Maybe he'll do well for Hereford United??? But I guess they can't afford his wages, though...

Oh trust me, I know about having to shift old, deteriorating players on huge wages when they won't willingly go and no-one will buy them. I play as Liverpool. Carragher and Gerrard will always ask for £90k-£100k per week even when they're 36. I've tried literally everything I can think of but nothing works. I guess the only thing you can do is just run his contract down. Carragher's £85k p/w contract runs out in a few months and it'll be a great, relieving moment when I get him off my books, and Gerrard's £95k p/w expires in a year.

If you don't play him then have you tried offering him absurd Appearance/Goal fees in a trade-off for a much lower Basic Wage? I remember a game of mine where an ageing regen who I didn't play and still had 3 years left, was still asking for £145k p/w because he has a gigantic reputation. I managed to whittle that down to £55k per week with a £200k appearance fee seeing as I literally never played him at all in any capacity.

No they won't. I've got Carra on about £25,000 p/w, and Gerrard on about £60,000 a week. Carra never plays but Gerrard sometimes still does.

Well, for me it wasn't. I had success with Del Piero, though. And Iaquinta (misspelled?) is a better target man, so really no reason to use Toni. As I see it...

I keep meaning to start a game with Juve just so I can use Del Piero. One of my favourite players.

Him, Toni and Iaquinta are a lethal forward triangle.

I keep meaning to start a game with Juve just so I can use Del Piero. One of my favourite players.

Him, Toni and Iaquinta are a lethal forward triangle.

But none of them have the quickness the ME loves so much. Maybe a patient slow passing tactic will work fine... It's just so damn difficult to get the ball into the box (and be the first on the ball) with slow accelerating players.

Some of the oldies can be a right pain to shift. I've never managed anything successfully other than running the contract down.

More annoying is how, even when you offer them out for £0, the best offer you receive back is a season long loan for 40% of the wages - I suppose its to be expected and is better than nothing

my 34 year old captian was on £125k p/w and was entering final year of contract so as i didnt fancy losing him as hes been at club for many many years i offered a new contract, However he wanted £145k p/w. I decided not to offer the contract and let it run right down till there was 3 months remaining. He then asked for £56k p/w.

my 34 year old captian was on £125k p/w and was entering final year of contract so as i didnt fancy losing him as hes been at club for many many years i offered a new contract, However he wanted £145k p/w. I decided not to offer the contract and let it run right down till there was 3 months remaining. He then asked for £56k p/w.

In my experience, allow a contract to expire is an even better policy. Comes with a bit more risk, but I can get players to sign for 30-40% of their previous salary.

In my experience, allow a contract to expire is an even better policy. Comes with a bit more risk, but I can get players to sign for 30-40% of their previous salary.

I tried this approach and it did not work... I allowed Del Piero's contract to expire as he was asking for ridiculous wages... however he did not want an offer from me afterwards... will try to sign him as an assistant manager once he retires!

But if you let the contract expire and the player leaves, he's not likely to be willing to negotiate a new contract with you the following day... at least that's what happened to me.

The best way to get a player to accept a wage cut is waiting for the final 3 months of contract...

Don't worry too much about losing him for free because AI clubs are absolutely horrible at signing players on their final year of contract...

In my Barça save I managed to reduce Messi's wage from 200k p/w to a more reasonable 60k (with two intermediate steps) as his attributes and his playing time were steadly decreasing... He's 35 now, slow and injury prone, spending his final days at Barça Atlètic and tutoring youngsters.

However when I have aging stars with high wages and stubborn agents, the best shot is getting rid of them in the summer window... Sure it's a shame, but if I can get 10-15M for a 30/31 yo player on a 180k p/w wage, it's a win-win situation...

Based on my experience, if you don't sell the player by the time he's 32 TOPS, you're stuck with him for life...

I think everyone else has pretty much covered it. If you can get him out on loan even at 40% of his wages go for it. Sometimes you get lucky and the team you loaned him too makes an offer.

Teams as in real life are more interested in signing a player that has been playing.

I really think you should be able to interact with the board about matters like this, so that they don't just refuse to allow you to terminate his contract. Surely in reality you would have discussed a matter like this with the board (would you even be in charge of terminating someone's contract as manager?) before even talking about it with the player and explained that it would be better for all to move on and free up wages etc.

I have noticed from certain players when they get into the twilight of their careers they become almost impossible to get rid of. Constantly trying to offer for loan/buy/give mutual consent becomes frustrating but its the only thing you can do. Just think of the future when he does eventually go! Amauri is on quite a wage too, isn't he?

I have noticed from certain players when they get into the twilight of their careers they become almost impossible to get rid of. Constantly trying to offer for loan/buy/give mutual consent becomes frustrating but its the only thing you can do. Just think of the future when he does eventually go! Amauri is on quite a wage too, isn't he?

Yeah but it is only 12 months long, not 36 months IIRC

Ronaldo gets put on the transfer list by request a lot from my experience, but he always has a wage demand of 300k+ so its impossible to sign him, so he ends up staying with madrid until he retires.

Oh really?

Lucky for me Barca wanted Ronaldo so I let them have him.

Oh and Juve just signed Messi from me for 100,000 a week less than he was being paid by me.

Archived