Should we have a 'like' option on everyones posts?

Should there be the option?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be the option?

So yeah, a bit like facebook or youtube really. If you like a post someone has made, you just press the like button with a thumbs up!

We need to move with the times, can't have the SI forums being left behind!

(mods apologies for opening a duplicate thread to the one in OTF, but OTF are too comfortable and don't like change, GD will show them the way!)

It would be nice as it would save on pointless posts, e.g. thanking someone for helping you, instead we could just like that post where someone helped us. Then again it could lead to lack of posts which wouldn't be good at all. Voted 'No' in OTF, but will vote 'Yes' in here as I reconsidered it. :o

No dislike, that would basically be people attacking opinions they don'tlike without even making a proper or improper response to it. Little more ambiguous on 'like' don't see much harm coming from it (even if people were liking for fairly small reasons, that wouldn't be a terrible thing to happen), wouldn't mind it that either way.

It's not actually a bad feature. It helps show which posts are actually useful, and helps build a good feeling about a community (where sometimes praising someone in a post feels over the top and very +1).

Facebook (Like) and Twitter (Retweet) have the advantage that it shows up on a timeline of sorts which I think vBulletin hasn't managed to exploit at all.

"Dislike" is too negative to build a community upon, which is why I'm not surprised Facebook hasn't implemented a "Dislike" button.

It's not actually a bad feature. It helps show which posts are actually useful, and helps build a good feeling about a community (where sometimes praising someone in a post feels over the top and very +1).

Facebook (Like) and Twitter (Retweet) have the advantage that it shows up on a timeline of sorts which I think vBulletin hasn't managed to exploit at all.

No, because which posts are useful or not is entirely subjective. I don't even get what purpose it serves. Will the ones with alot of dislikes just be ignored by the sheeps who can't form their own opinion? It's just silly and juvenile, and does anything but build a good feeling among a community.

No, because which posts are useful or not is entirely subjective. I don't even get what purpose it serves. Will the ones with alot of dislikes just be ignored by the sheeps who can't form their own opinion? It's just silly and juvenile, and does anything but build a good feeling among a community.
I mentioned "dislike" was a bad idea. I said "like", however, isn't.

I think you'll find "likes" are community-bonding, which is why people Like things on Facebook and why they Retweet things on Twitter.

As for the subjectivity of usefulness... If your opinion is diametrically opposed to a forum then it is your problem, not the forum's. Forums create their own sense of community and if you feel even remotely part of that same community, anything that is "liked" a lot is likely to be "liked" by you.

At the end of the day, too, it evens itself out over the community - some "like" some posts more than others, but some will think the opposite way. Those that are most "liked" amongst the community as a whole are "liked" on both sides.

I mentioned "dislike" was a bad idea. I said "like", however, isn't.

I think you'll find "likes" are community-bonding, which is why people Like things on Facebook and why they Retweet things on Twitter.

As for the subjectivity of usefulness... If your opinion is diametrically opposed to a forum then it is your problem, not the forum's. Forums create their own sense of community and if you feel even remotely part of that same community, anything that is "liked" a lot is likely to be "liked" by you.

At the end of the day, too, it evens itself out over the community - some "like" some posts more than others, but some will think the opposite way. Those that are most "liked" amongst the community as a whole are "liked" on both sides.

I like this.

Archived