Youth Intake - Just need to clear up a couple of things...

Okay so its pretty obvious that the better the youth facilites and academy and the better the recruitment network, the better the quality of the youth intake.

However, do coaches or youth coaches have an impact on intake quality? I've heard this idea floating about the forums but was looking for some clarification. Basically:

Does having youth coaches and not simply coaches improve the quality of youth intake?

If so, do better youth coaches bring better players?

If so, what determines a good youth coach? Star rating or other attributes such as "working with youngsters"?

I myself have the same coaches for my first team and youth squad and due to the pish youths I was getting I questioned the whole youth coach notion.

Thanks in advance guys and gals :thup:

coaches have no influence on the quality of regens coming through your youth system, they do play a part in making sure your regens progress in the right manor, but thats about it.

They also play a role in the nationality of the regens, all staff do btw.

Good stuff guys, cheers :thup:

So then, what's the point in youth coaches? :p

They train only youth, so they can focus on them, youth training improves.

They also play a role in the nationality of the regens, all staff do btw.

They train only youth, so they can focus on them, youth training improves.

Yeah... for a few months before the youngsters become pros and start training with the seniors. Hardly worth the limited coach slots in most clubs.

Besides, if you have coaches with good Working With Youngsters attributes, the star rating in the Youth training screen is equally good and there is no indication in-game that having dedicated youth coaches is better in any way. Also, since a good coach can easily be assigned both 30 and 40 players without problems, and the number of youth seems to not matter on top of that, why on earth should anyone bother with youth coaches at all? According to the information we are given in the game, youth coaches are worthless.

Yeah... for a few months before the youngsters become pros and start training with the seniors. Hardly worth the limited coach slots in most clubs.

Besides, if you have coaches with good Working With Youngsters attributes, the star rating in the Youth training screen is equally good and there is no indication in-game that having dedicated youth coaches is better in any way. Also, since a good coach can easily be assigned both 30 and 40 players without problems, and the number of youth seems to not matter on top of that, why on earth should anyone bother with youth coaches at all? According to the information we are given in the game, youth coaches are worthless.

Pretty much what I was going to say next but possibly more articulate than I could manage! I would also like to add that the "working with youngsters" attribute has not determination on that coach's star rating for youth training. So I think youth coaches are pretty redundant to be honest.

Pretty much what I was going to say next but possibly more articulate than I could manage! I would also like to add that the "working with youngsters" attribute has not determination on that coach's star rating for youth training. So I think youth coaches are pretty redundant to be honest.

I would at least have a general Youth Coach, not so much for training, but for motivation, and set to train all categories. He needs high mental stats, working with youngsters and man management, and would be set to control the youth team.

There's more to training players than star rating.

Determination, Level of Discipline, Motivating & Man management for seniors,

Determination, LOD, Motivating & Working w/ Youngsters for youth.

Also I have 17 coaches, of whom only 7 are English (thats 41%), guess how many non-English youths I've had in 6 years? Thats right, they are (I think) all English, occasionally with an obscure 2nd nationality. I'm not sure the whole staff nationality thing makes a difference but it will increase your scouting knowledge. It's a shame because I'm trying to create a truly great youth system but, even with fantastic youth facilities and an awesome network of youth recriutment, coaches and scouts I still only get tosh each year (apart from strikers, curiously I produce at least 1 Championship/League 1 quick striker a year) and have to buy in a youth team.

The potential ability of your youth intake depends on your youth recruitment a and youth facilites i think. I tested it once by using the editor and holidaying for a season. It seemed that the youth intake were generally better potentially than with average facilities.

With regards to the nationality, most of the time I get english newgens, however i have had a few come through with dodgy 2nd nationalities. My scouting knowledge seemed to influence this somewhat. i.e. I had full knowledge of Tanzania, and got 2 youths with 2nd nationality Tanzanian. I dont know what the odds/chances are of this happening though.

We don't know if the 'working with youngsters' stat have any impact at all, or wether or not having a coach work exclusively with the youths will improve things. But given SI's track record, I think it's safe to say that these things are purely cosmetic.

As far as getting foreign youth, nationality of feeder clubs and manager seem to be the two biggest influences in this area.

Archived