Inspired by another post - Does FM affect your relationships?

Having read another post - suggesting women can drive us that mad that we would end our relationships to spend more time on our electronic games! I felt that I wanted to know how many of us out there would be so shallow as to let our electronic gaming kingdom go that far? I just think it's low. I'd only leave my Mrs if I found her with some other gamer. Jokes. Seriously though I've been playing these games since CM and I know full well she hates it. But you just ignore it and find time when you can right? Or am I getting old in my age?:p

My missus also plays FM when she wants to play the Sims 3 I play fallout or mass effect.

Also women sleep more than men so when she falls a sleep I play for a few hours.

Ditto that, my wife goes to bed at American time (10ish) and I'm European so nothing until 12-1AM...FM all night BWAHAHAHA :D

I sometimes find myself spending 4-5 hours playing on a Saturday or Sunday--rest assured my wife is watching tv or doing some other stuff...but it's still scary sometimes how I can spend my entire weekend on FM!

So far no problems though, mostly because I've been playing FM since I was 16 and it hasn't gotten any different (27 now)!

I couldn't agree more with that, crazy how quick the weekend is wasted playing FM.

I split up with my missus for 4 month beacuse I couldnt take how she was being over it! Back together now... But I now realise we were both in the wrong! Sometimes it takes something big like a split and then reconcile to make changes for one another! Don't use agree? I think 2:00am would be taking the **** a bit but if she is out with the girlies or watching a film in bed then I don't mind chilling next to her on FM while she watches it

It's all about playing the FM card right. For example, she could be in bed and you could be with your laptop saying something like "I'll beat Arsenal to claim the Community Shield while you watch, you dirty little girl. You like that? Yeah, you do. Watch me shout my team to use the wings more"

:D

My missus has always bought me my FM, I think in the past it's been her way of showing she cared about what I liked. But like I say one of the biggest reasons we split up for 4 month was because she did my head right in and would moan the minute I picked the lappy up. But now we are back together everything is going great, i bought her, her own laptop and last week uploaded FM to it for her. Something she would NEVER consider playing, every night now tinkering about on it. Don't think she knows what shes doing but I realised she just wanted to be a part of it. So HAPPY CHAPIE

Football Manager has a bit.

I used to get the "Playing Football Manager all day isn't going to get you anywhere" speech, yet because of Football Manager I now work in the games industry :cool:

Football Manager Live, on the other hand, completely ruined a relationship :D

I wouldn't let it ruin mine again! It's about compramise really you have just got to sort your differences out. If you love someone don't let it stand in the way of use being together! Theres always a way I believe. Come on I'm a living success!

I totally agree with you, if your in love with someone and something like an electronic game and the persons attitude towards it has caused problems then work it out. A love for a person is not worth throwing away. I'm not preaching jack **** to use, for no reason. We all have our rough patches but you see them through right?! Said it before and i'll say it again FM is one of my faves, but credit is deserved to Blacknight. My Mrs drives me up the pole about everything not just electronic gaming but thats life you just work through stuff.

Normally play when wife goes bed (about 10.30pm) but it means i am up till 3am and then gotta get up for work the next day at 7am......4 hours a night sleep is killing me, as is my bloody defence who at the moment make my 4 hour sleep a 2 hour one when i wake up thinking about how i can get them playing as a unit, grrrrrr!

Alcohol, cigarettes, chocolate I can get by without, yet like them all. FM is something I find difficult to keep off. I need to understand the joys of occasional play rather than needing to know what happens after I press the space bar that one more time. If only my Torquay team weren't so entertaining!

I would love SI to add a self regulatory aspect where I can choose to e.g not play before 9pm. You could also limit how long those self imposed limits would be in place for and then reset as desired. Would really help me out if they did!

It's all about playing the FM card right. For example, she could be in bed and you could be with your laptop saying something like "I'll beat Arsenal to claim the Community Shield while you watch, you dirty little girl. You like that? Yeah, you do. Watch me shout my team to use the wings more"

It's that last bit that made me laugh more than anything!

This post just made my girlfriend laught her ass off, she also told me it wont work on her -.-'

My missus also plays FM when she wants to play the Sims 3 I play fallout or mass effect.

Also women sleep more than men so when she falls a sleep I play for a few hours.

I noticed after speaking to a few individuals on here, that they wanted to get their Mrs into playing FM, but they wasn't interested!? Suggestions on how to get them into it, are welcome! If we can keep the love alive then thats our good deed

being a cardiff city fan we havent had much success, and after getting them into the premier league one night i realised it would annoy the missus if i got drunk and had a few friends round to "celebrate the achievement"......well a while later she said to me, look ive had enough its either me or the stupid game, at this point i was in the euro cup final....so i told her, i may never see cardiff in europe in my lifetime but im gonna see plenty of t*ts, so you carry on love....... now im with a girl who plays footie for a team, and shes challenges me on fm so ...... FM will never threaten to leave you....will never cheat on you.....all my best friends love FM, so they get on well....she will never complain or moan, which is why FM is better than finding love

My girlfriend accepts that I need FM and Football or I will be an irritable git 24-7, and that I just wouldn't be me without it. So she is happy to put up with it, cos when I am on it, she reads magazines, and gets first choice use on my new 37" tv - so it is a fair compromise. Having said that I have told her to make me get up off my chair to take her out for coffee etc cos it isn't that I don't care, I just get sucked in if she doesn't!

Been working on getting my girlfriend into FM, Gifted her the 2010 version on steam last year when it was going for about £15 and she had some limited fun playing with the her hometown team the Columbus Crew. She seems more into the Handheld version that she went and got on her I-Pod touch.

Sure when we live together and she has a laptop with more harddisk space I'll get her back on the PC version of the game. For now baby steps.

If a video game gets in the way of any sort of relationship, then there are some severe issues. A balance of both is the best way to go, but it's quite a simply priority list for me. Real life------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Video Games

If a video game gets in the way of any sort of relationship, then there are some severe issues. A balance of both is the best way to go, but it's quite a simply priority list for me. Real life------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Video Games

This, tbh. I still play the game loads while my girlfriend will play a few other games on the xbox or play guitar instead, but I've got no issues swapping to something else if she wants the computer, or just not being on it if we're doing something together. If playing this (or any) game seriously affects your relationship and you're over 20, I think you have more issues than just playing the game too much.

Yes, but heres a tip if your girlfriend/wife enjoys games like Mario then either buy her Little Big Planet (thats what i done) or buy her a platform game to keep her occupied :D If that dont work then you better hope Keeping Up With The Kardashians is on more often :D

My girlfriend accepts that I need FM and Football or I will be an irritable git 24-7, and that I just wouldn't be me without it. So she is happy to put up with it, cos when I am on it, she reads magazines, and gets first choice use on my new 37" tv - so it is a fair compromise. Having said that I have told her to make me get up off my chair to take her out for coffee etc cos it isn't that I don't care, I just get sucked in if she doesn't!

I agree with this it's all about compramise. However, I've learnt that women sometimes appreciate it if we make the effort to put the game down and ask them ourselves without being told to. We must find that compramise like you say between game time and time with them. They need attention.

To be fair I WOULDN'T as i've said before let myself ever pick the game over her. The truth is a lot of us are selfish, and the women are in their right to moan. They just want to have the attention they deserve.

Am I right in saying that by this you mean she would come first before any electronic game?

This, tbh. I still play the game loads while my girlfriend will play a few other games on the xbox or play guitar instead, but I've got no issues swapping to something else if she wants the computer, or just not being on it if we're doing something together. If playing this (or any) game seriously affects your relationship and you're over 20, I think you have more issues than just playing the game too much.

What do you mean by this?

To be fair I WOULDN'T as i've said before let myself ever pick the game over her. The truth is a lot of us are selfish, and the women are in their right to moan. They just want to have the attention they deserve.

+1... Definitely agree with you on this one, im sure the majority of us here abuse the life out of FM :D

+1... Definitely agree with you on this one, im sure the majority of us here abuse the life out of FM :D

I second this!!! 100%. I think a lot of us are too pig headed to admit that when a woman moans it's usually her entitlement and if it's not then still thats women. You should never leave her for this reason. Hands up I did this myself but then I did the right thing and sorted out things with her. Guess you learn that as a male you make mistakes with your stuborness!

FM hasn't affected my relationship, but my relationship has affected FM.

I see that as a good thing, FM is just there for me when I have nothing better to do. Now I have a girlfriend I would much rather spend the day with her than clicking continue all day. Anyone who would rather play FM all day is either single and bitter or in a relationship that isn't working for other reasons.

New TV eh? Do you live Tottenham? :D

There is thread from a few years back which makes absolutely hilarious reading including 1 poor guy who got divorced and his FM addiction was used as part of the grounds for divorce

I've been playing since CM came out on the Amiga. Of late I recall my other half coming into the "computer suite" while I was playing FM with the headphones on. She said "oh, are you watching Pompey on the TV, wouldn't you rather watch it down the pub?"

First time ever I've declined a pub pass as i was so engrossed in FM!!!! - Also says something for the FM graphics I guess

I think FM is considered part of my life so no real issue as long as I dont over do it. Sometimes if I'm losing a match with Pompey the kids notice and give me a loud Simpson's Nelson style "Ha-Ha!"

You guys got it all the wrong way round. My missus understands the score. As far as she's concerned, if i wasn't sat on the sofa playing FM, I'd be out of an evening spending the annual price of the game on drinks in one night, plus the expense of pleasing the ladies in the bars. So FM has saved a fortune and saved the relationship. That's what I tell her, anyway.

Archived