Backroom Staff overhaul needed?

Was reading through a list of West Ham's staff recently and noticed quite surprisingly that IRL the amount of staff at a Club is somewhat smaller that what you can pick in FM. The staff list read like this :

Manager ; Sam Allardyce

Assistant Manager ; Neil McDonald

First Team Coach ; Wally Downes

Goalkeeper Coach ; Martyn Margetson

Development coach ; Ian Hendon

Fitness Coach ; Eamon Swift

First Team Physiotherapist ; Stijn Vandenbroucke

Head of Sports Medicine ; Andy Rolls

Club Doctor Richard Weiler; MBChB,MRCGP,MSc,MFSEM

Medical Officer Sean Howlett; MBBS, MRCGP

Director of Youth Academy ; Tony Carr MBE

So basically looking at that maybe three First Team coaches maximum on top of the Manager with Ian Hendon looking after the Development (Reserves) squad and Tony Carr looking after the Youth Academy.

Now in FM you wouldn't get near 7 stars with a mere 3 coaches in the first team yet that is the way it seems to look IRL. So is maybe a little specification overhaul needed in FM?

Would be interested to see if this is similar across the board IRL or maybe some backroom staff aren't listed on Official Club sites.

Not sure what this overhaul accomplishes, though. I'd certainly like backroom staff to have a lot more personality (constant feedback, preferably depending on what they do; staff complaining; staff helping each other out; staff qualifications, etc.), but from a pure gameplay perspective, how does a Development Coach do different things than the First Team Coach?

A hierarchy structure could be nice (i.e. your younger coaches might report to a more senior coach who will only get the best out of the subordinates if he is a good man-manager) but then that has to be questioned against what benefits it gives over the current scheme where all the coaches essentially report to you.

It would be nice to actually increase the number of roles available. Most top clubs have psychologists, analysts and Doctors (as opposed to physios) that all asisst with the players

I'd agree with increasing the roles available, perhaps a psychologist would help stabilise moral, or you could ask for their advice in dealing with a misfiring striker etc (I don't mean anything ridiculous, they could just suggest what you could say in a player interaction or something).

I'd imagine most of these would only be available to the top clubs though, maybe if you tried to appoint one at a lower club the board would step in and say "we feel there are more pressing priorities right now" or something. Could work, if done right and not to a daft extent, like nutritionists.

I'd agree with increasing the roles available, perhaps a psychologist would help stabilise moral, or you could ask for their advice in dealing with a misfiring striker etc (I don't mean anything ridiculous, they could just suggest what you could say in a player interaction or something).

I'd imagine most of these would only be available to the top clubs though, maybe if you tried to appoint one at a lower club the board would step in and say "we feel there are more pressing priorities right now" or something. Could work, if done right and not to a daft extent, like nutritionists.

As do I.

Cheers

xxx

Archived